Opamps and Modding thread.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    Are there any guides on anything other than OPAMP changes on the X-Plosion? I would be really interested in those.

And how do the LM4562's stack up to other OPAMPS?

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @NapalmV5, I have talked with a couple guy that replaced their Crystals with better, -more precise units and while the theory is sound that a precision oscillator would help with Digital to analog conversion and help prevent drifting and jitter...many who have tried it say they notice no noticeable improvements. -Although I take that with a grain of salt.

@Deckard79, We all felt like that at one point. You just need to dive right in and do it. If your really new to soldering etc..find some older parts to solder. It is really just a learned skill...nothing more. I suggest if your unit has DIP8 opamps to remove the stock opamp and replace it with a socket, so you can test out a few different units.

@Finny, Soundcards are all basically made the same. They just use different parts or better quality parts. Almost all mods from one card can be applied to others, you just need to figure out which parts are which and relate that info to the mod info.
    The LM4562 opamps are considered great among DIY guys, National won many awards for them. They have a great clear sound to them that was previously unavailable at that price point. There are many others that are still higher quality and produce better sound quality.

Hope that helps.

3. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Mmm very true, however there's also the aspect of soldering equipment... I have a very basic soldering iron but it's probably not ideal for something like that, especially as opamps are so tiny. I most certainly do NOT have a steady hand either! Do you know what type of opamps basic 2 speaker hifi amps use? If only they did utilise a DIP socket, that would be so much better.

Have looked through the internet for more info on this sort of thing, but there's very little there. Pretty much nothing, in fact. I also have no idea what opamp the Cambridge Azur 540A uses, and whether it is any good!

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well if your that unsure, I would advise against it. Let somebody else do the task that has some skills. Good luck.

5. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

my prelude blackgated + opa637 = awesomeness

[​IMG]

though if anyones interested in the mod.. have it done pro..

i almost destroyed mine because the stock cap is superglued..

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    They wanted to make sure you couldnt remove it, or to make sure it doesnt fall off.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The OPA637's are very nice opamps.

8. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

[​IMG]

so Rob, what secret mods are there for the prelude/meridian ?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Which one of the opamps that auzen sells is great for all around listening with a pair of ATH-AD700s.

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They are all considered cream of the crop audio opamps. Personally I use the OPA637.....very nice indeed.

11. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

replaced the 16V 470uF N with this 6.3V 2200uF NX behemoth

ad8620 opamps
    [​IMG]

if anyone wants darker sound nastier/more responsive bass there u go ^ :thumbup:

it may seem pointless to replace just 1 but its an important cap and makes difference just by itself

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  12. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Do you have schematics of the card and are evaluating where it could have been built better, or are these 'shotgun' fixes? Also, is there a reason you're using large, electrolytic capacitors? How are you determining the value you'll use?

13. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

schematics of the card.. evaluation/s of better build..

if you can find that info publicly dont forget about me.. i surely would appreciate that kind of info :)

whats wrong with large electrolytic caps? my xm got redeemed by the 2200uF NX.. didnt sound this lively before

has to be heard to be appreciated but it also depends a lot on the gear..

determining the value? at this point im just testing different values..

14. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    It's all good - just checkin'. I'd be interested to see the schematics if you had 'em.

15. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Looks like I'll be getting my hands on an old Audigy 2 so I'm going to have to try this...

I'm still not sure why the caps make a difference to the sound though as surely most of it is just decoupling? Only one way to find out :)

Has anyone tried using buffers or anything on the output?

16. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

well ive replaced the 16V 470uF N with 10V 1500uF NX

my claro+ finally rox!
    [​IMG]

as u can see the risks involved..

pads ditching u faster than.. insert your own

id suggest those not comfortable/novice.. have it done pro if u want to do the mod

17. DoctorO

DoctorO Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX Titan
  18. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

last mod..

ive replaced the 2x 16V 470uF N to

left: 10V 1500uF NX
    right: 6.3V 470uF NX
    [​IMG]

brutal ^ :thumbup:

deeper responsive ultra bass from opa2134.. crazy

clarity/purity - this aint the same stock prelude

the 1500uF complements the prelude very nicely.. not too dark not too bright just right.. at least on my setup

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  19. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Can anyone measure their results with changing their Opamps? I'm quite intrigued. Can you hear a noticable difference?

I mean, obviously going from an LM741 to an AD797 is going to sound miles apart, but most modern Opamps are so high bandwidth anyway...

Will try this on ye olde Sony CD desk :)

20. DoctorO

DoctorO Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX Titan
    Differences in noise, distortion and crosstalk are measurable, but should not be noticeable between decent opamps. Differences in frequency response could be noticeable but I can’t measure them. I can post the graphs of LM4562, TLE2082 and AD797 oncemy AD797s have arrived.

So far I’m using no opamp, it sounds best right now. Pretty dark, good bass and detail.