Older games New

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by yelsewshane, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Do you really need a refont of gunship, when we have DCS Blackshark 2..
    Ok we could argue that the DCS simulator need maybe a refont of the environnement ( specially add new environnement too )..

Anyway i know what you mean, Gunship was just incredible in his time. I could add too "Fly of the Intruder".

and +1 for all LucasArt games of this period.

There's so much AtariST / Amiga &C64 games who could be just redone with actual graphism, but well..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    wish i could play the following games with proper resolution with the same textures,sound and so on

-Alien Trilogy
    -Dark Earth
    -Resident Evil 1
    -Independence Day

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    ugh I hated Independence Day

I would love for a remake of Day of the Tentacle and Toonstruck. Supposedly the original creator of Toonstruck is getting ready to announce a re-release sometime this month.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yes, there is a catch. They have, for a while now, figured out a way to increase the fps you see while not increasing the speed of the game. As far back I can find it is in 2011,
    http://www.retrocopy.com/forumthread/414-1/1964-ultrafast---60fps-n64-emulator.aspx
    Note the screenshots. Regular 1964 2.1 includes this feature. It's also built into PJ64 2.1 (was also in 2.0). Only 1964 is able to tell you the Real FPS, while PJ64 doesn't.
    Zilmar has been pretty quiet about how he did his features, but you can see a comparison here (and why it's banned from speedruns).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN1F6T98l58

5. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

I have just tried this (6x oc) and i still get 20fps while running around.
    it did not seem faster either. only thing that was faster is the loading times but not the running or normal animations.

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    That's pretty cool (I couldn't see anything about this in pj64 options though), the compatible game list is pretty small though. And even at 800mhz majora still runs at 20fps (and even gets a bit glitchy), must be locked in game rather than relying on clock speed for the framerate.

Greezo said a while ago about how the animations are actually keyed to 20fps in the n64 zeldas, they had to take a lot of time to rework and smooth them out (since it's not as simple as doubling them or smoothing them for a 30>60 switch).

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Try to pay attention to the background moving while turning. Animations run at their own framerate (not really a framerate, it's how a lot of animations were made back then to save space). But the responsiveness you get from a higher FPS should be there.
    If not, I'm not sure. There are like 4 or 5 different sync settings in PJ64, some are pretty hidden like here. It's pretty convoluted. But it should work by default.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    When i look at the background while turning i see the same stuttering mess i can expect from 20fps.
    its the same speed as before.
    like i said the only thing i notice is the loading times (menu's or location).

we need a frame interpolation plugin like svp does for movies.
    that would bring me much joy im sure :D

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Oh heck the janes combat simulations games. longbow 1 and 2, 688i, f15, IAF.

I know bout dcs but gods give me an apache sim.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Personally... none.
    There are no older games I want to see remade. I love those games, I own those games... and I still play them.

I want new games. New titles, new experiences.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its not an Apache though whether standard, Commanche, or Longbow.
    Your also forgetting that DCS games DO NOT have a Dynamic campaign, they have set missions which get boring after a while. a Dynamic campaign changes depending on your mission success/failure and other Air/ground forces which you have no control over. Much like real-life, Microprose were masters at the Dynamic campaign, something that has been forgotten today with many modern developers, maybe they dont have the skills:)

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Well there is this think i have had it bookmarked forever thought it was dead for awhile so updates are slow but it is ongoing. Could be interesting.

http://www.combat-helo.com/

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well i admit you are right, its just a pure simulator, and it miss a bit of game structure. ( who will add a bit of fun and make it more entertaining )

There's a dynamic campaign, but could have be done better and the change is a bit subtil.

Basically, depending the level of success of the preview mission or if you have fail, you pass to another one who will be different ( if you was intended to destroy a target ( tanks ) and you dont succeed, the next mission will be different (( protect your troop against them ), if you succeed, you will protect your troop during the attack of the enemy on a different place.

But theres no real scenarios effectiveley and can be more feel as a whole follow of simple dynamic mission.

But well its DCS and somewhere all come to do your mission ( whatever it is a campaign or not ), and multiplayer if you finally get the level for it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014