Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i wish we all lived closer so we can just pick sides, choose who's gonna fight and let them duke it out in the ring, whoever loses has to shut the *$%*(# up about the stupid UI.

2. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    men, i am sorry to say but i can tel u havent used a windows8 for more than 1 minite. YOUR start menu is slow as hell upto win8(metro) that is obviuos from usin it and u talkin abuot the animation, well metro(win8) LOOKS better than windows7 by miles so it doesnt matter even if it is atiny bt slower it doesnt becos it boots so fast it makes up for it, who watches the pc shut down!!!>? really, sorry men if i suond mad but ppl stuck on win7 really need to use 8 and get used to it. it is the future if u like it or not. thanku

3. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    your post actually made me laugh :D
    Maybe win 8 is here to stay, or maybe it isnt, who knows after 2 years they will dump it and choose something entirely irrelevant to desktop and make you use that instead, maybe we will have the Start Arena instead of start menu and start screen.
    I can already see it in my mind:
    Start Arena - we replaced start screen clunky interface with something much more appealing, you have to pick 2 apps to fight 1 vs other and the app that wins the fight gets to stay in your Start Arena so you can access it, it will feature kewl blood and gore and mature language, for those who are underaged the start arena will be replaced with Start Ms Unicorn Tea Party Contest, the one who drinks tea the least and gets its hair brushed the most wins!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have a wooden baseball bat sitting here next to me.. I wish I could put it to good use sometimes.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This thread has gone completely stupid.....

The "efficiency" of the UI is directly related to the configuration. To say that Windows7 is more efficient than Windows8, would be a flat out LIE.

6. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    compare them say Windows 7 to Windows 8 they are almost identical so why say Windows 8 is worst it just apeared Windows 7 is here by long so the only thing that its a bit anyoing in Windows 8 its that tablet or smartphone look if in the moment i want a pc i use Windows 7 but i dont mind having Windows 8 instaled in my laptop its kinda fast and good to use and other thing that 8 looses for 7 its the old games compitability i try the first mafia and didnt boot but on the rest i must say its good

7. DYNOMO

DYNOMO Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    I have windows 8. With the start menu back I would say its not much different to windows 7 on the desktop. It is a little more responsive for sure. The biggest issue I had was everything was all over the place. Now I have had it for a while I am learning to use it again fine.

8. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    I'm sorry, did you just call a UI that requires switching page from a desktop to a full screen menu to access a program, efficient?

For a mouse Windows 8's UI is anything but efficient.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It "requires" switching from desktop to Metro? That's news to me... I see the "Metro" UI when I log in. I see the desktop the rest of the time. Unless you're using "Metro" apps, there's no "requirement" to see the "Metro" UI outside of login (unless you use a 3rd party app to over-ride it).

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Now is that a claim you can back up? Or is that a claim you pulled out of your ass?

Because Microsoft has real life, not pretend, testing that shows this is a better implementation for speed.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/18/designing-search-for-the-start-screen.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/03/evolving-the-start-menu.aspx

Contain the focus groups, testing, and feedback that show their design philosophy and why previous start menus were flawed (though W8's is as well, in other ways).

But it's pretty plain you've never used it. And you won't read anything I linked. But I can only lead the horse to water.

11. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Medieval justice for the win bros.

12. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Pretty plain huh?
    So whats this I'm using right now to type this message here and now?
    Whats this I have had installed on gaming laptop for the last two months, Mac OS X?

I don't need Microsoft statistics and babbel to tell me why they are right and why I am wrong, I know what I experience.
    I know what is at my fingertips, and I know that Metro is a complete mess to navigate through for anything that isn't already on the main Start Page.
    I also know that all these little subfolders on the Start Menu, that MS is trying to tell me is bad and inefficient, let me find programs quickly and efficiently and all their assosciated key files(program shortcut, documentation, secondary applications etc).

So I assume every square inch of your desktop is covered with program shortcuts then.
    Out of the box, If i want to go to the control panel all I need to do is click the start menu and a small box pops up for me to quickly locate it.
    If I use Windows 8 to achieve the same thing I get a huge bloody full-screen menu and have to search through rows of loosely grouped icons to find the thing.
    And it only gets worse when multi-tasking and when keeping an eye on multiple open desktop windows.

And therein lies the flaw.
    The process of launching applications which previously would have been done from the Start Menu now completely take you away from the desktop environment.

13. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    So since launch of Windows 8 how many times have you had to reinstall due to various problems?

Lets be honest here!

14. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    I like MINT13

15. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Never.
    Nor have I ever once in the last 3 years had to reinstall Windows 7 either.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I reinstalled once.. but that was due to me breaking the OS while figuring out what can be tweaked and what cannot... not the OS breaking itself..

xD

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My desktop in Win8, much like in every other version of Windows, contains shortcuts to my most commonly used programs (which greatly increases efficiency). To access the control panel, I right click in the bottom left corner of the screen and click on "Control Panel". No need to go back to the "start screen" at all....or I can simply click on a shortcut conveniently placed on my taskbar.

Most of us, rely on desktop icons to launch programs as it's considerably more efficient than searching for programs on a cluttered start menu.

18. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Cluttered start menu... youve heard it first here folks!

19. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    No worries, as soon as you read those silly links u find out how poorly they do at backing up their claims, stuff like "while we know (some companies) block data outputing from their windows usage experience we still get a pretty good data", that statement alone made me wonder how more ignorant can they pretend to be.

Another one was "the bad thing about start menu is because in 1 month a guy uses 57 different apps in average, and start menu is bad because it shows only 20 apps without scrolling further". So to fix this issue they decided to replace your start menu with an app made by some random scrub that shows you all programs, with the downside of going through an animation process to open that menu, animated scrolling and animated exit and the best part of it, if you have a 1920*1080 screen its gonna look epic having to travel with your mouse from 1 to another at least twice as much as you needed to travel in start menu, thats their comeback.

Another reply to some guy who said that the start menu should scroll vertical rather than horizontal was some random idiotic talk about human evolution of spatial recognition and all sort of unrelated garbage lmao!

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... so you're saying that the idea of having the full-screen Start screen on Windows 8 cuts back on the ability to multitask compared to the Start Menu of previous versions of Windows? So you're telling me that while you're navigating the start menu, you're able to interact with other windows you have open at the time? I'd like to see that one.

And i don't see how "Metro" is a "mess to navigate through". If you have a lot of stuff on the Start screen, grouped into different categories or in groups of your most used to least used applications, you can use the scroll wheel to pan "Metro" side to side. And if it's a really obscure application you're trying to launch, a quick and easy search just by starting to type what you're looking for finds it in an instant.

And who says you need a desktop full of shortcuts? How many people actually have that many applications that they use on a daily, or hell, several times a day, that they'd need to have a dedicated shortcut on the desktop for it? Granted, i don't use my computer for a whole lot, but i don't even have two full columns of shortcuts on my 1920x1280 desktop, and I almost never have to see the Start screen in a day. And some are even for things i wouldn't necessarily need a shortcut for, like the Recycle Bin, Steam, and games on Steam.

And as it's already been pointed out.... just as easy to get to the Control Panel and other commonly used utilities in Windows 8 just by right clicking in the bottom left corner (where you'd normally left click to bring up "Metro")

Legendary: So you really see the idea of having to click the Start menu, go into All Programs, find the program folder tree for the application you're looking for, and then finding the shortcut for the application is SOOOO much more efficient than just opening Metro and finding the icon? Group your programs into productivity apps, games, etc... in "Metro", and only have to worry about ONE "menu" rather than a few? And I didn't think using the scroll wheel to scroll side to side in "Metro" was an extreme amount of work. Holy sh*t, and to think i've been using my scroll wheel to scroll up and down websites browsing their content when i could have done something archaic and stupid, like click the scroll bar.

Obvious sarcasm in that last bit.... but yea... you DO know you can use the scroll wheel to scroll side to side, right? And don't even have to use the somewhat cumbersome side-scrolling you'd need to do on websites and such. Just scroll up and scroll down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.