metro 2033 vs metro last light?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I can't choose. But that's because I rate immersion and atmosphere way higher above optimisation and tacticool-ness. Probably the reason why I still love Vampire - The masquerade: Bloodlines.

You just get sucked into the game!

I'd love 2033 to get updated and play 2033 and 2034 with the Oculus Rift.
    After that, get them and Stalker developers together to make me a new Stalker, dammit!

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    2033 performance is horrible even with a 290 Ive just discovered, MSAA = weird shadowing / cloning the image, AAA = fixes that problem but FPS range from 70 right down to 20 in the same inside location

3. EvoHavok

EvoHavok Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 770M 3 GB
    MSAA is unbearable in that game. Light sources also cripple the performance. There was a scene somewhere in the beginning with some gates opening and light coming out, on Ultra the frame rate just halved the instant the light could be seen.

4. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Only one of them had boobies. /thread

5. G*addict

G*addict Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
  6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    ~33FPS with 2x7970 @ 1125/1375MHz @ 1080p, Very High DoF & Tess On, 4xMSAA, no PhysX.

Went 1440p, turned off DoF, Tess, and AA, and play with FPS almost always around or above 110FPS, not dipping much. Didn't try that same scene though.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I agree with boobs :D

Both felt to generic, especially this plastic look by characters.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The graphics in LL are stunning in places

[​IMG]

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah ill get round too it, addicted to Dayz atm.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I've watched a couple of pretty amusing videos of DayZ gameplay, looks like fun

If you haven't seen it: - The Wiggles (Funny starts about 1m in)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6o8x67ApM8

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    LL has very good animation, especially with the spiders.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The very high settings are known to cripple performance even with very high-end systems.

The particle effects in particular, usually present alongside heavy lighting such as in the mentioned scene where the doors open, are a killer. Probably an optimization issue.

I'm running 1080p with HIGH, DoF and Tessellation enabled. Antialiasing is set to AAA, using driver-level FXAA instead and Vsync on.

60 fps all around regardless of location, activity etc. so far. The plusside is there really isn't that much of a notable difference in quality between HIGH and VERY HIGH, apart from motion blur imo in 1080p.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Felt like I had to mention one more thing about 2033 in addition to everything already mentioned:

the games atmosphere and the events described in it are exceptional, but there was one thing in particular in 2033 no other game could achieve.

I remember vividly when I first got to the surface. I thought I'd been playing smart so far but very soon realised I was running out of ammo, had only a couple of minutes left in filters, had no idea how far the objective was and the area in ahead of me was populated with monsters.

This was the first time any game was so palpably able to portray the feeling that damn, I will not make it, I will die here.

Sure, restart from previous level, stock up on filters and ammo and retry. But still, it was something new, even disturbing atm.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I really need to get 2033 finished, havn't played it for a good while now, and enjoyed what ive played so far, got LL waiting to be done after :p

15. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    2033 was very good, graphics, atmosphere; the game play wasn't very open but all in all a good FPS. 7.5/10 for me.

LL I just started today, the graphics are great, the atmosphere is also improved, the environment feels more real. Gameplay seems like the first. I only played about an hour so far and like it.

16. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    2033 had less polish but much better atmosphere. Definitely scarier. Towns are much more interesting.

Last Light is more polished, a bit more fun. Some CoD narrative style mixed with Metro 2033's bleakness.

I think I preferred 2033, to be honest.

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Had that in LL in the section with the little boat you had to call in.

I made it... nearly choking to death on the doorstep of that church.

It does indeed add a little bump to the scaryness factor of the atmosphere. You get this "****, time is running out..." feeling.

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Yep but in real life I would be running a lot faster if my filter was going bad. No actually I would probably just hang out at the bar and let someone else save us. If only they could have added a panic perk where you can run full speed cause it's kinda a bit slow really.

19. ElFishoIII

ElFishoIII Guest

The moral of the story here?

PANTS ARE BAD FOR GAMES

SAY NO TO PANTS

20. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    can't seem to finish Metro 2033, Last Light I've played normal, hardest, and now I'm finishing in Ranger mode... peacefully. Going for zero kills :) Amazing how this game shapes your morality, at first I wanted to just shoot everything. Then you get to know the atmosphere, the reality that everyone is just like you and born into the same survival situation. When you get to ranger mode, you won't want to take out more than 2 or 3 bad guys. So yeah, the original Metro for me was boring and didn't have an exciting story, it was confused. Last Light is well thought out and dynamic, the environment changes from radioactive lands to strip clubs to some really amazing metro cities.

Also I tried playing both games on my previous gpu, a 7950. It just couldn't hang with the requirements of this game, with a 290 I finally got away from stuttering and low framerates. So a crossfire or heavy duty card is key for a good experience.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014