NEED ADVICE: Running TWO different PSU!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Crash, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    Hi,

I am planning to use 2 different power supplies for my pc. Actually, I am already running 2 psu (600W Quality 80% = mobo,pcx,cpu)+(Cheapo 300W=HDDs,rom,fan) at the moment. Now, I want to take it further.

I wonder if i could take out the cheap 300W psu and replace it with another good quality 500W 80% certified psu to power up the HDDs,pcx and rom. My main concern is the graphic card. It requires 2x 6 pin power. Since it is already drawing some power from the motherboard with certain amp, could it be a problem if i use 2x 6pin external power from another psu with different amp?

Currently 600W psu is not sufficient since the overclocked fx8350 4.6Ghz would draw at least 280W and the pcx would draw 300W on full load.

Buying 1000W PSU is out of question, even getting a highend 800W psu will cost a fortune to me.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    You don't actually need a second PSU, the one you have should be able to handle your PC. It's somewhat close, yet it should be well within tolerance levels.

3. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    i doubt that, the cpu itself takes 280w+,pcx 300w@stock, how about the motherboard?

4. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    i felt some jitters in graphic performance, eventhough i am using external psu to remove some load from the system. i think the juice is still lacking, therefore anyone knows running a graphic card using external psu with different amp?will it fries the pcx?

TY

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its fine to use a separate PSU for the gfx card, as long as the voltages are within ATX specs.

6. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    thx,now i can proceed to find a good solution for powering up and shutting the PSUs

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thats easy.
    On the main connector to the motherboard from the PSU, there is a green wire.
    When this is connected to ground, the PSU will fire up.
    This is what the power on switch does, it connects the green wire to ground.

You can connect the green connections of both PSUs together, this should be enough for your motherboard to trigger both PSUs to power up if the second PSU is already hooked up to the gfx card.
    If the 2nd PSU isnt hooked up to anything, you may have to connect the gnd (black) connections together from both PSUs as well, to test the powering on.
    (all the black connections go to the same place, so you can use any of them)

DONT connect any other connections together.

You may need to manually turn off the second PSU after you shut down the PC.

8. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
  9. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    Hahaha, that is funny. apart from manual wiring, there is adapter like add2psu but it is not really reliable or safe as claimed. I am planning to build a good electronic kit for this purpose.

I dont know much about electronics/electricity, but i have a rough idea about it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    just an update...

i did it with the electronic thingy, secondary psu now turn off when the main psu is off and the other way around.

11. angmar

angmar Guest

Umm...your silverstone 650 is powerful enough to run your pc without the cheapo psu. Trust me if my old GTX 480 could run on a 600 watt psu with overclocked GPU and CPU you could easily run a much lower wattage 560 and 8350 and still have plenty of power headroom for overclocking.

12. angmar

angmar Guest

Your cpu most certainly does NOT use 280 watts at stock settings..not even close. I am not sure where you are getting your information from. Toms hardware has the wattage at full load tested at a 180 watts.... I doubt even when OC'd it would reach 280 watts....if it did it would be HELL to keep it cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  13. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    Its a hell, when i hit prime it will shot to 67'C, 4.6GHz and the windows will locked up. However, for normal use, it barely reaches 45'C under load.

I take it from Guru3D:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8350_processor_review,20.html

I am not sure if its the entire system or just the CPU. However the same was written at Anandtech FX8350 review, 4.8Ghz will consume just under 300W.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    So 300w with those other parts. I'm not sure if that is 300W from wall or what PSU is delivering. 300W from wall with 80% efficiency (300W*0.8) = 240W load for the PSU.

Anyways, about using the second PSU, I did read from somewhere that it's not recommended to use other PSU to only power GPU as PSU's are not designed to be loaded that way, adding load to other lines might be good idea. This was what I did read few years ago from place which I cant remember and not sure how reliable that information is. Worth investigating btw.

15. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    I see, so its for the entire system? Yes we do need to investigate, people normally do this for Quad Sli system,Quad Crossfire with load of HDDs and Watercooling systems.

Not sure if it safe, but there is something call "Power Booster" to boost GPU power on sale at newegg and basically it is the same mod that i did with a 10 bucks electronic switch plus I have a control over which PSU to choose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104054

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

16. anon

anon Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX680
    You could always try something like thermaltake power express its basically a 2nd psu but just for GFX so you could have your standard PSU for mobo hdds and what ever else you need and the other for GFX only i picked on up 650w pretty cheap