NVIDIA Kepler not fully compliant with DirectX 11.1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    After a discussion on a german a website, Nvidia confirmed that the Geforce 600 series not fully DirectX 11.1 compatible. Well, it doesn't fully support the API. The GTX 680 supports DirectX 11.1 wi...

NVIDIA Kepler not fully compliant with DirectX 11.1

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Who cares, Most game developers arent even DX10 compliant.

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Lol your spelling mistakes have been somewhat epic lately. :D

But it makes sense, the "Kepler" architecture is not even stated as being DX11.1 complaint. But I'm sure many will hope it will be; not that I can see much coming from it besides "Native 3D."

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Stuff we won't see in games, makes sense.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If I'm reading that right it means that Kepler supports DX11.1 in the same way that DX11 supports DX10 graphics cards by virtue of being backward compatible. So any DX11.1 games would simply run as DX11 on Kepler cards even though MSI Afterburner (or whatever) would show DX11.1.

I can't say I'm bothered personally as I don't believe many games will use DX11.1 anyway and, if they do, then by that time new NVIDIA cards will be out and I'll have upgraded again anyway. As far as stereoscopic 3D goes, I cannot see it properly so I would never be interested in DX11.1 for that reason either.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    yeah 3d gaming and it performance hit = just another way for you to feel shafted by the fact that your $1000+ gpu is inadequate.

7. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    at least its nothing like DX10.1 and DX10.0 (hopefully). Lots of game are still using DX9 anyway.

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    you are sure ?

its even in there page presentation of Kepler, and specially about the interview when Kepler was launched when they was asked about the bug in driver/card id who was showing DX11.0 only

http://pressroom.nvidia.com/easyir/...releasejsp=release_157&xhtml=true&prid=865433

Murrokapetii http://muropaketti.com/artikkelit/naytonohjaimet/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-gk104
    ( this is not really important for me what features are supported on hardware or software and marketing is marketing.. threre's no drama to make about this )..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    In reality, Kepler only support DX11.1 features who can be used by the API on DX11_0 hardware level. All DX11.1 parts who are not supported by API and need specially hardware for it, are not supported by kepler

If you look the table on MSDN about DX level features, on the DX11.0 column, the DX11.1 features writed "optional1 " ( mean can be supported by API level DX11.1 runtime ) are supported by Kepler, but if you look the column of DX11.1 hardware, all features who require to be DX11.1 on hardware level, are note supported.. ( UAV on all stage ( used as feature like tesselation ), TIR ( can used on deferred rendering features for allow the use of different resolution table ).

Yet again, DX11.1 features level is not used yet, so.. no drama there.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, bring on the 780 I will buy it

11. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    It mentions DX11 not 11.1, and the Kepler 'Whitepaper" doesn't mention 11.1 either. www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/en_US/pdf/GeForce-GTX-680-Whitepaper-FINAL.pdf

Not that any of that matters, it just means they will have to implement it on a software level.

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    [​IMG]

But like you said, it dont really matter. Nvidia have never really insist on this... and we understand why now. But i agree, there's no drama to do with that..

With all the bullsh is writing Nvidia in this kepler presentation page, one less, one more.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Who cares. There's only a handful of games that properly support DX11 right now anyway.

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    AMD's marketing.

15. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    @Lane: Strange, I wonder why Nvidia would mention it on their site but not in the Kepler Whitepaper.

16. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    For be honest, im done with this story, its not like it will change anything anyway in close future for 600 series user.. so time to move to something else i think.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    IT didnt matter with 10.1 it not gona matter with 11.1 most games stil are on dx9 and the handfull that there are for DX11 are still Console ports of a games based off DX 9 with dx 11 features feeling like a after thought.

Have DX11.1 at this point nothing more then bragging rights on hardware. That wont be used for years if ever. Only way this 11 or 11.1 for that matter will become the defacto standard like DX 9 has been since the consoles came out. Will be the Consoles are DX11.1 or 11 Compliant hardware. I see them possible being 11 Compliant hardware but not 11.1

18. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Another reason I wont be getting Windows 8!

19. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+

I've been holding out for the 780 as well.

20. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    Really, if we make a list of fully DirectX 11.0 compliant games...there are not so much of them////...... so who cares about direct x 11.1 at this time...... May be Microsoft is backing its Windows 8 sales with directx 11.1....features...

Should DirectX 11.1 be a base model for the new Xbox 720 (actually the 'X' in XBox stands for the 'X' in DirectX), a large part of the power lies with their developers {if they are not using the whole DX11.1 features....then there's little reason to use these features.....}