AMD R9 290 or AMD R9 280x OC

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by jackttt, Oct 20, 2013.

1. PavH

PavH Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX
    Plese PM me what makes you think so. I had a stable performance with a card quarter of the power of this one.....and why would I need 4GB graphics card to run 1920x1200 remains mystery to me dude....

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Not about VRAM size. You need more than a 280X to max out several games at 1080p 60FPS, but this includes AA. Turn off AA and shift the target towards 120FPS and now a 290X makes more sense than a single 280X. So no, it's not overkill at 1080p, particularly not at 120Hz. Even at 60Hz, if you just like to max out AA and such.

3. iiron_eagle

iiron_eagle Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G
    not unless you want o play on ultra at 135% resolutution at 120fps.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ACIV will prove otherwise... Single 290/290X is not overkill for 1080p at all.

5. PavH

PavH Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX
    Please can you tell me for which monitor/screen projector do you need to max-out Anti-Aliasing?

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's not the screen you need to max out AA, its the GPU

More powerful GPU, the more AA you can use and keep decent FPS

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Nope.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Well, I found the ASUS DCUII 280x Top to be a rather crappy performer compared to my current EVGA GTX 770, so a quality build 290/290x should definitely be a better choice even for HD resolution when you use a descent amount of AA.

9. PavH

PavH Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX
    You got my question wrong dude.

On what kind of monitor/screen (size, model,make) would you need to max out anti aliasing to 8??@ 1920x1200 that's its possible for your eye to register it?

On a 24 inch screen your eye hardly notices anything beyond 2xAA @1920x1200

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    People have different eye sights. I can still notice the the benefit of 8xMSAA/SSAA over 4x (or 2x) on 23" 1080p screen. 2x is not enough at all. 4x is close to enough but I'd use 8x if possible because it does help even more when it comes to small detail that is further away (especially in motion).

If 2x is enough, be happy.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

11. PavH

PavH Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX
    Thank you for the reality check, one does need a feedback.

My 4 year old AcerG24 simply doesn't cut it anymore and I shall get new bigger 120hz screen soon.

12. iiron_eagle

iiron_eagle Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G
    updating CCC to 14.2v3 has made the world of difference.

My 2 MSI r9 290x's are a beast since the Mantle update they rock.

I play BF4 on ultra 135% resolution on my 1920x1080P 120Hz which gives me an internal resolution of 2592x1458. Turning up the resolution makes the graphics so much more details and crisp, this is Ultra IMO ;) I'm now averaging 130+ at the above settings on Mantle.

At first I thought about switching back to my r9 280x's but not at this performance. The 290x's can only get better from here on too ;) I was getting 70-90fps at the above settings on my 280x's it's a big leap forward :) I'm very happy.

13. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    In perfoverlay.drawgraph do you have a thick green line or a thin one? I have horrible frame variation with a thick green line :(

14. iiron_eagle

iiron_eagle Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G
    I have noticed this card isn't perfect yet. before you start playing reboot windows.

I sometimes get a memory leak after a few games. I think this happens after starting BF4 after waking my PC up from hibernation. It would start to stutter, twitch and lag after 2-3 rounds.

The memory for the cards would be at 4100GB/4000GB.

Changing the graphic settings does nothing so I think it's a memory issue as overclocking the momory in Afterburner to 1300Mhz helps for a very short time before it become unplayable again. It should be fixed soon :(...please please please AMD.

Restarting my PC before playing gives me long smooth gameplay, It's a new card so it will improve and hopefully AMD will find the memory leak.

I never got it on my 280x's but they ran on DX11 and Mantle is still new, so we need to give it time, when it's fine it amazing. So I 'am sticking with the 290x's as it's the future!

Make sure you have Verticle Sync off there is a bug that reduces the fps to 80-90 and makes it stutter when you pan your sight. I had it on with my 280x's to keep them at 120 not so with these cards yet.

Turn Frame Pacing on in CCC.

I'll upload a picture of my fps for you to see soon.

EDIT: below are the graphs! Sorry took these with my iPhone 5. Now sure how to screen capture on Mantle.

http://f.cl.ly/items/2z0h3w3G122929202a3M/GPU Graph 2.jpg

http://f.cl.ly/items/1m0l143R0D0t3y2Q2d0Z/GPU Graph.jpg

EDIT: just found this console command:

Screenshot.Render
    (Screen Shot saved in My Documents\Battlefield 4\Screenshots\)

Hope this helps mate!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  15. iiron_eagle

iiron_eagle Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G
    After reading question. Out of those two options I would go for the 280x I like the MSI R9 280X Twin frozr for the high quality parts!

16. iiron_eagle

iiron_eagle Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G
    AMD Catalyst™ 14.3 Beta V1.0 Driver for Windows is out!

The following is from the AMD website:

"Feature Highlights of The AMD Catalyst™ 14.3 Beta V1.0 Driver for Windows®
    Thief:
    AMD Mantle and AMD True Audio support
    Improves stuttering observed in CrossFire mode
    Call of Duty: Ghosts: QUAD CrossFire profile update – improves level load times
    Audio issues observed when using CrossFire configurations (and V-sync enabled) have been resolved
    BattleField 4: V-sync issues observed on CrossFire configurations (with Mantle enabled) have been resolved

Known Issues
    Intermittent driver stability issues when installing/un-installing on Desktop Kaveri platforms that support AMD Enduro technology under Windows 8.1. Please disable Enduro support to resolve the issue
    Secondary GPUs do not enter low power state on CrossFire configurations; this issue will be addressed in the next AMD Catalyst beta release
    Thief (DirectX): Lighting flickers on CrossFire configurations only after CrossFire has been enabled then disabled; this issue will be addressed in the next AMD Catalyst beta release
    Battlefield 4 (DirectX): Quad CrossFire configurations with Eyefinity Display configurations suffer slowdowns and stability issues
    Titanfall: Flickering occurs under AMD CrossFire configurations"

17. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
    Its your call, look at my Spec and i tell you is enough ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]