AMD FX8350 does it run hotter than Core i7? and is it worth the money?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SOLLERHOLLER, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    for those who have one just want to know more about it? i know not as power as i7 :( but it is cheaper than a i5 and has more core/threads :) so there is a bargain there?

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Well, if you want to get performance, the FX8350 is roughly equal to or worse than i7 2600k from what I remember. Oh, and yes, it will use more power, and it will definitely be hotter. Is Intel worth the money? That's up to you. It won't necessarily give you massive fps boosts if you're only using one gpu. If you are going to use multiple gpu's, then Intel is the way to go imho.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  3. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    okay thank you :)

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Also, check out the review if you feel like it

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Depends on what applications you will use and price in your area. Really though any i7 will be faster than Vishera, Vishera competes with i5.

In NZ 8320/50 are much cheaper than i7's and i5 so the 8320 was a great deal for me.
    FX overclocks like mad and I can play all my games maxed out at 50fps like FC3, Crysis3, Arma III gets ~50fps

Overclocked they suck up power but that's not an issue for me, I always run CnQ anyway so most of the time it runs cool at 1400mhz.

And no they are not "weak" in games - that is what a fanboy would say.
    They are slower than i5/i7 in many older game benchmarks but even then they're getting 80fps plus.
    However because the i7 can do 120fps Intel fanboys label FX weak.... I try and block out stupid logic these days. lol

If I decide to upgrade to Steamroller when it comes out I won't need to buy a new motherboard to do it.

Best if you decide on a budget and take it from there. You'll get better overall performance from Intel.

6. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    i am considering going i5 3570k cause it is a good price :) just wanted to know more on fx 8350 seems weak compared to what i have in gaming... thats what review says pretty weak? but i have to say the Q9650 has scentle menitle value to it sorry if i spell it wrong...

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Then go with haswell 4670K variant, LGA1155 is Eol.

Also by LGA1150 you can upgrade to broadwell later on..

8. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    cool i will let u know :)

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    They are weaker than Intel i7 where older games are concerned and single threaded apps are concerned.

Some Intel fanboys love nothing more than reposting Skyrim and Starcraft benchmarks over and over to emphasize what a failure AMD is. Skyrim especially, since it uses about 1.5 cores.
    However I get 40-50fps min in Skyrim with texture pack and a few mods installed so it's not an issue I care about.

Any other game and any new release like BF3, FC3, MetroLL, BF4, Crysis3 all run just fine with an 83xx.

Regarding CPU temps mine is oc'd to 4.8 on air and does not run that hot. Only when really pushed it can hit 60c but they are good for 90c so not a problem.

Not that I'd ever let it get that hot lol. It needs 1.42v for 4.6ghz and 1.488v for 4.8ghz.

10. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    thats high dude i get around 29c and hottest 35c cause of how i setup my cooling system :) graphics card runs at about 40c to 45c max :)

11. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    my 3570k can hit 65c easy only at 3.8 ghz

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Those load temps are impossibly low on air. What do you stress test with?

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Weird my posts are all out of order so I'll rep post my last comment...lol

Depends on what applications you will use and price in your area. Really though any i7 will be faster than Vishera, Vishera competes with i5.

In NZ 8320/50 are much cheaper than i7's and i5 so the 8320 was a great deal for me.
    FX overclocks like mad and I can play all my games maxed out at 50fps like FC3, Crysis3, Arma III gets ~50fps

Overclocked they suck up power but that's not an issue for me, I always run CnQ anyway so most of the time it runs cool at 1400mhz.

And no they aren't "weak" in games - that is what a fanboy would say.

They are slower than i5/i7 in many older game benchmarks but even then they're getting 70-80fps plus...not exactly weak.
    However because the i7 can do 120fps Intel fanboys label FX weak.... I try and block out stupid logic these days. lol

If I decide to upgrade to Steamroller when it comes out I won't need to buy a new motherboard to do it.

Best if you decide on a budget and take it from there. You'll get better overall performance from Intel no doubt.

14. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    i just don't overclock and it runs fine :) i also use a cpu cooler with a copper heat reduction on it :) i always check my temps with core temp and graphics i check under catalyst :) also i know how to get airflow in my case which is Cooler Master Scout got loads of fans :) yeah intel has always been good i agree i just thought change maybe a idea this time round :)

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    LOL are u fukkn serious? U run stock voltage and stock 3ghz clock speed with a quadcore.

My CPU has 8cores and the vcore is raised from stock 1.35v to 1.44v. It also runs at 4.8ghz. That is a 1300mhz overclock.

Now tell me again how my CPU is too hot and how my HAF X is inadequate and how cool your rig runs due to your amazing technical abilities. :rolleyes:

Take your n00bie bullshlt somewhere else it's getting tiresome.

16. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    i don't overlclock because stuff tends to not last... and when u don't have the money to buy every single time thats the other problem... plus no need really i just like playing games as long as everything works to me thats all that matters :) and because of that my pc is 5 years old besides graphics and it still works LOL!!!

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Haha another q9560 at stock is great. Funny stuff. I suppose all games running great maxed out too on a 7790. Deja vu all over again

18. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    look it at the moment cause of price of everything :) it is good enough for now but i am planning upgrade to haswell ddr4 chip next year june when it gets released here :) the amd i was just checking what it is all about i got good answers :) and i may get a second 7790 when i upgrade :)

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Overclocking doesn't shorten lifespan as much as you think. Heavy overvolting would do that, yes, and running at crazy high temperatures. Which isn't the case with modest overclocking, or high-end cooling (or both).

You'd be missing out on a lot if you didn't overclock.

Take the 7850 (not sure about the 7790), 7950. Overclocking champs. Pity to run things at stock.
    Then the 780, Titan. Beasts when OCed. You'd leave a Titan at stock when you could easily crank 1100MHz?

Often you could get a free overclock just by moving a slider or two. 7970: 925 - 1125MHz was the first free overclock of 2012, that's ~21.6% overclock with no voltage adjustment.

20. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    not going to do that when i don't know what i am doing LOL!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.