SLI not working correctly

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hello guys.

I've been fighting with my new GTX680 card that would sum up to GTX680 SLI.
    1 x Gigabyte GTX680 2GB
    1 x Palit GTX680 2GB

First of all I had trouble with the installation since I couldn't get SLI enabled. Finally I solved that problem which was due to that I probably didn't push the small extra power pin (6+2) to the Palit card which oddly enough requires 6+8 pins and not 6+6 like my Gigabyte card.

My next problem is that all games I've tried so far in SLI mode look worse than with SLI disabled. The colors look washed out, almost 8-bit at times and the screen constantly flashes (not much but enough to be annoying). This flashing effect is most noticable on dark surfaces vs light.

Also GPU-Z says one card is running at PCI-E x8 version 1.1 and the other one PCI-E x1 version 3.0 even if a game is loaded and running.

The Gigabyte card worked flawlessly when alone and the Palit card works well too if SLI is disabled at x16 version 3.0. Palit is currently GPU1 and Gigabyte is GPU2.

What the hell could be the problem here?

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    HaVE YOU CONFIGURED THE NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL?
    sry about caps.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Not sure what you mean by configuring it. Can you do anything else than setting SLI on or off?

I swiched around the SLI cable and now the colors are fine but the picture flashes even more. So I suppose the SLI cable is crap. It's a standard Gigabyte one that I bought in a shop.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Your MSI board did not come with a SLI bridge?

5. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Just to eliminate other stuff, have you looked to see if those cards have a bios update? Motherboard bios update? Make sure all your chipset drivers are up to date. Swapped cards in your mobo slots, checked bios settings?

How much trouble would it be to take the new card back and get one the exact same as your first one? Having matching cards elimates, for the most part, sli issues as you're having.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. Cyrax

Cyrax Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti gamer SLI
    does youre mobo support Sli ?
    there should always be an sli/crossfire bracket with youre mobo if it supports it.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
  8. thefunkyone

thefunkyone Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI Geforce 670 SLI
    have you tried putting the SLI bridge on the other set of SLI connectors ?

When i first got my second 670 i bridged the connectors closest to the display ports of the cards and i got a dulled screen which shaked like hell when in games. I changed the bridge to the other set of connectors and everything works fine now.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well guys, SLI does work and colors/screen does not flicker any longer. The only "issue" left would be that both lanes are running at x8 instead of x16 but that's it. Solved it by slipping the Audio card in a PCI_E x1 slot instead of the x4 fullsize slot.

I think the problem is that the cables dont stick well enough on the connectors and if it's not properly secured, artefacts are produced.

Not checked but it's stated in the instruction manual as Optional Accessoires.

I dont dare updating BIOS on GFX cards. Is it easy to do? One is slightly newer though. Did MB Bios update but that didn't help. There are no BIOS settings except disabling PCI-E GEN3 which didn't do anything.

About taking the new card back...I could but getting a Gigabyte reference could prove very difficult. I also got the Palit for a really good price.

Sure it supports it :) I wouldn't have tried otherwise.

I've not checked my mobo package contents but I assume by looking at the picture from the mobo manual that the bracked would be identical to the one I bought since they're also Gigabyte ones.

Actually I've not tried that :) Good tip!

Thanks for all help guys btw!