Build log.....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Veteran, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ok this is my proposed build.
    Corsair 900D
    Rampage 4 Extreme or Rampage 4 Extreme black.

The black edition is over £100 more and is not available yet, it also does not have a full waterblock available yet.

I really don't see why but I have heard there will be bios revisions for the black edition that will help IB-E OC better. Still don't see why those wouldn't make it to the regular RIVE though.

It seems to me that the he Rampage IV Black is just a money grab by Asus it's got all the stuff on it that made the Normal Rampage great it, just with better audio and a new paint job if it's anything like the new X79-Deluxe it uses the same Intel Management Engine driver as older X79 boards...

It is supposed to have some changes beyond cosmetic, I haven't thoroughly read up on it but have read about improved trace layout for better memory overclocking & improved VRMs.

I'm reading up on the Black and it has similar stats to the normal Rampage IV, 10k black capacitors same as R4E also NexFET Mosfets same as R4Eand also 60A Chokes same as R4E.

The R4EB is not make much difference for daily stuff but potentially better overclocking than the R4E because the cpu is a big part of memory overclocking when shooting for high frequencies, the memory kit matters as well. But with a great IMC & memory, the board itself can make a difference in overclocking.

So lets just say it has better Memory overclocking, What if it doesn't have any better CPU overclocking? I'm sure it would but maybe 100-200mhz max.

As far as cpu overclocking it is a tough call, for daily clocks most boards are capable & the overclock depends more on temps & the cpu itself. The board stands out more with extreme overclocking & cooling, if extreme coolers get another 100 - 200mhz out of cpus, it might not be the same for air & water cooling which is what im planning to do hence watercooling which i was i said in anothe thread that its TOO GOOD for watercooling. The R4EB would be more suited to people like Cowie and PhazeDelta who use LN but not so much for myself, i think it would be a waste of money.

What do you guys think?

I7 4820k The reason for this quad is because the 4930k's are hit and miss when it comes to an OC. Most people are getting 4.6,some are getting less even on water!

I know its a 6 core but if i bought one of these and it was a poor overclocker then i would be gutted as my 930 was rock solid at 4.4. So im gonna go with the 3820k, they apparently oc quite well. Not only that when Rpggamesplayer upgrades to Haswell-E next year he has said ill get first offer on his 4930k which is a great overclocker so ill probably just buy that from him.

SSD. Im looking at an Intel 256gb SSD, but im open to opinions as you guys know more about these than i do.

RAM. Again open to opinions as im a bit out of touch with RAM, what bout Gskill compared to Corsair? Also when overclocking on the X79 is it possible to hit high ram speeds along with high cpu speeds. It matters to me to be able to do both and not just use an XMP profile as the cpu dont get overclocked when you do this, well it didnt on x58 but it may be different on x79.

I have all my watercooling gear ready except for motherboard blocks, dont know wether its worth spending £100 for a block on the 690.

Opinions please.....
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If you go i7 4820K route, might as well save some extra pennies and get a 4770K, it will be faster.

I've seen a OC'ed 4820K @ 4.75ghz and its at least 10-20% slower then mine at 4.7Ghz, not to mention single threaded perf.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Whats the difference in these cpu's is it just HT? It has a higher clock than yours so why is it slower?

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Both have HT, 4820K has 2MB larger L3 cache. Haswell has 7way front end vs 5way by IvyBridge (including IB-e), which means it can do more stuff per cycle, FMA3, Gather,.. Just another bonus.

Its slower because haswell's arch it improved, I've seen a lot of people saying its nothing, but yeah they never used it, only what they saw in generic benchmarks when it was first released.. The gap will be smaller in gpu bound scenarios, but once you eliminate that it will have a clear advantage.

From what I saw 4770k @ 4.2Ghz = 2600K @ 4.8 - 4.9Ghz or 3770K @ 4.5 - 4.6Ghz

An quick example Sleeping Dogs with 780Ti (techpowerup review),
    4770K @ 4.2ghz >> 115fps
    3770K @ 4.5Ghz >>> 110fps
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3014460&postcount=276

Edit: but there is a thing with ram speeds though, 2400+ has some XMP bug and runs slower then lets say 2133mhz, you need to fiddle with tWCL (write cas latency aka DRAM clk period) and set to 9 (bios @ auto sets it too lose), then it will fly with 35gb/s+.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thanks Tj.
    Is yours socket 1150?
    The rampage 4 is 2011 ie: 6 core cpu later on down the road.....?
    Are you talking about the ram on IBE or Haswell?
    I dont like the delid BS that comes with Haswell.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you're planning on going for a six core down the road I'd stick with your current plans to be honest. As much as I love my 3570K, I wish I'd went for a 3820 (2011) build if only for the upgrade options down the road. As it is it looks like I'm going to be sat on this until at least Skylake.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'd just get the 3820 tbh, it's pretty cheap. Then get the 4930 from that moneybags RPGgamesplayer.

SSD wise I'd look into Samsung 840 pro too.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ok Cheers Rob!
    Whats the difference with the 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch SSD's?

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well imo it would be pointless to upgrade to 6core later, either buy 6 core now or dont bother..
    That's why I suggested 4770k, it will be faster per core then any IB-e,.. and you can upgrade from 4770k to Haswell-e (8core), yeah new mobo again but it would be a wiser upgrade this way. With LGA2011 you're stuck with IB-e (6core) max and mobos cost a lot atm.

Im at socket 1150 and yeah I was talking about ram bandwidth by Haswell, ie 2400mhz can be slower then 2133mhz if not set properly (this tWCL).

About Delid, well it doesnt get hot if you dont run IBT, Linx all day and at fixed voltage.. Also it depends what batch you get, L310B4xx is apparently the best and can do 1.25-1.28V @ 5GHz.

My L308B202 aint to shabby either, it can do 4.7Ghz @ 1.277v.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thanks Tj you do have a good point. So is the 4930/4960k the last cpu for IB-E?

Also if i went down the Haswell route i would have to buy a new mobo? ie: Haswell-E to use the 8 core or could i do it on an existing Haswell board like you have?

Thanks for your help, appreciated.:)

Edit...I didnt realise that SB-E, IB-E were all on 2011 x79 socket.
    Shows how much attention i paid to this tech when it was released. Tbh i had no plans to upgrade from that 930 atm as it worked fine as it was for any games with the 690. This is the reason why i paid no attention.

11. army_cadet

army_cadet Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte g1 980
    if you plan on sli go x79 its better performer when multi gpu come to play and not marginaly its much better, full pcie 16x lanes and more cores can be had on lga 2011

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    np :)

Yes 4930k would be your best bet if you really want to go LGA2011.

For Haswell route, you will need another mobo later just like if you go with IB-E now. I think its still LGA2011 but new chipset X99 and probably DDR4, although there was some news its will be for server mobos.

As for SLi lanes, well my mobo has 2x 16x pcie3.0 or for 3sli 8x 8x 4x.

13. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    +1 to this 100%

14. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    i pull much more fps from a lga2011 board with a 4930k and dual gpu's

15. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    +1 that's my os ssd i got and its nice and fast

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes you can, but then again you really need to compare it to mobo that fully supports 2x 16x pcie3.0, not to 2x 8x pcie3.0 like most are.

ie http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87WS/

4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8 or quad x8)

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    3.5" SSD? hmmm, they're bigger lol. Hold on, have you never ran a SSD? You're in for a treat, trust me. No noise from it and the performance is insane! Your windows and everything you install on it will fly.

I'm actually thinking about buying a 256gb SSD for games myself (I have a 64gb one for OS), not really for loading times, although they will improve, but I just don't want any mechanical drives in my PC any more. the mechanical drives will end up being purely for storage. (Case has a HDD dock on top, so I can hot swap them).

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I always thought that 2.5 inch SSD's were for laptops only. I am a nOOb when it comes to these:)

Never had an SSD, i always said id get one when i upgrade my rig. Ill take look at the EVO. I here reports of OCZ drives breaking down by alot of users. Are the samsung more reliable? I heard the Intel drives are the most reliable, dont know how true it is.

I think guys im gonna go for x79 because i do want the extra x16 pcie and i do plan to go SLI to drive this 120hz nearer to a constant 120fps when Maxwell appears. I know that 8 cores are coming out but tbh by the time i upgrade from x79 there will be something newer than Haswell-E so ill probably give that a miss anyhow. Also a nice 6core 4930k from the Hitman will do me nicely even if there 8 cores available.

I do plan to watercool everything though probably even my memory. I have 3xRX 360 rads and i will have a Corsair 900d so i may as well cool everything. Dont know wether its worth cooling 690 with water if im gonna upgrade in 6 months to Maxwell.

The only Dilemma i have now is wether to go Rampage 4 or the black edition.

What about ram guys, any suggestions?

Ill probably order all this tomorrow tbh:)

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would grab a six core sb or ib sk2011. I do not know if there are any plans for a 6 core haswell on sk1150.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah im more inclined to go with a SB-E because the IB-E are hit and miss, they dont oc as well as the SB-E. I found some good batch chips but the only company that checked the batches for me was Novatech but they didnt have any of the ones i asked for. So i think ill just grab a cheap quad core until Rpggamesplayer sells his.

He has offered me first choice in buying it when Haswell-E comes out probably Summer 2014. Atleast i know his cpu is a great Overclocker at 5ghz 1.35v on water. Id be happy with that tbh and id run it for as long as i possibly could.