Mozilla Stops Firefox 64-bit Development

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 23, 2012.

1. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I don't know that much about programming so bear with me but if Microsoft is pushing for 64 bit operating systems then wouldn't it be in Mozilla's best interest to follow suit for performance and compatibility reasons? I mean, wouldn't it be best if x64 was a requirement for all new programs?

Wouldn't the the x64 architecture as a whole run more smoothly/efficiently if everything was 64 bit, or is running x86 programs in a 64 bit environment not an issue at all? Are they keeping x86 around just so that people with older machines aren't SOL?

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
  3. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    64Bit has never offered better performance than 32Bit, it's huge advantage is the ability to address more memory and no browser in the near future should need more than 2GB (or 3,5GB with LAA Flag) which is the 32Bit limit anyway. I use Firefox because I'm used to it and because it offers so many great add-ons. BetterPrivacy and Ghostery are a must have and so is Adblock.

4. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I've slowly moved on from Waterfox to either Pale Moon x64 or XhmikosR's 64-bit build.
    Don't know why; sometimes the optimizations (in Waterfox) are too aggressive even in the 'stable' builds it eventually has memory leaks.
    I always leave the browser open as long as the system is on, so that's a big no-no.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It depends. A properly programmed and optimised 64-bit program is faster than the 32-bit, but most programs aren't optimised for 64-bit. They are simply 32-bit applications with any necessarily compatibility programming added to it.

AMD are the ones who invented the x64 system. When Intel added this to their Pentium 4 CPU's they didn't do a very good job of it to the point where 64-bit was underperforming on it. They rectified this with the Core 2's, but it was already in the mindset of people that 64-bit wasn't any better.

To further stifle 64-bit uptake you had companies encouraging people to buy 32-bit Windows over 64-bit Windows (for ready made computers) because it meant they didn't have to update their software suite for 64-bit support.

You then have Microsoft making 32-bit versions of Windows 7 and 8, which further encourages people to keep on using it rather than make the transition. If Windows 7 was 64-bit only, you wouldn't have had the situation (which still exists) of people with more than 4GB of RAM, and 1 or 2 GB video cards being crippled with their systems. I would say the majority of these people probably don't even know, and put their 'poor performing' computers down to the fact that they're PC, hello consoles!

The argument that not all processors support 64-bit, especially back when Windows 7 was released, is a moot one. If Intel knew that Windows 7 was x64 only, they simply wouldn't have continued making the ultra cheap x86 CPU's (or at least, run them on XP instead?!).

Then comes along developers like Mozilla who think that it's perfectly acceptable to avoid 64-bit development in (what will be) 2013, a time when 64-bit programs shouldn't be just the nice exception, but the rule. It does highlight one thing though, and that is the stubbornness of some software developers, and people within those companies, to transition to something modern.

So, it appears regression is the new progression!
    - let's just make 32-bit applications, there's no future in 64-bit stuff (Firefox)
    - let's make the interface of Windows 8 more plain and simple, I'm the designer and I'm getting old
    - let's make Office 2013 the most boring Office ever!

I haven't heard one good thing about the new Office look, everybody I have spoken to think it looks boring and grossly outdated. I think even Openoffice looks better (even though that itself is an old-style UI, it isn't boring and out of place). I wouldn't be surprised if IT departments of companies will look at things like OpenOffice if they know about it, rather than make people use something as disgusting as Office 2013. It's functional, but companies won't want to be putting workers to sleep with the most gaudy droll interface ever conceptualised for an Office suite.

/rant

I do apologise about going on about that, but if people don't voice their opinions about the direction of software development, both in the decisions of things like x64, and especially things like the UI for Office and Windows, then things may only get worse.

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I don't think there's any need to make 64bit Firefox anytime soon. It adds extra development cost and for today the benefits won't justify it.

Regarding mentioned Office 2013 - I really like the new UI, especially Word 2013 reading mode. Still, I haven't tried anything except for Word and Excel.