NVidia SLI Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jul 28, 2013.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Does Nvidia Inspector need to be left running in the background for the changed to work or is it just a case of applying the changing and closing down inspector and the fixes should work?

2. MiR4i

MiR4i Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 x2
    You open up Inspector, make your changes, hit apply, and then start the game. Any changes made after that while the game is still running will require a restart of the game client.

You do not need to keep Inspector open nor do you need to close it down. I generally have it running whenever I'm logged into my computer... Which is always.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Cheers mate I hate having programs running in the background that I am not using.

Great to known I can just apply the settings and close it down.

So does Inspector basically link to the display driver and overwrite its settings then for the games profile then?

4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    All NVIDIA Inspector does is to expose existing advanced driver features, which are normally hidden from the "average" user.
    It doesn't add anything new ;)

Personally I always recommend changing your driver profiles, hit "Apply" and close down Inspector before playing your games.
    The less programs running in the background, the better IMO.

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  6. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    Anyone get rid of titanfall flickering in SLI? its been forever and no official fix

7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    The official driver profile gives perfect SLI scaling in Titanfall, so there is nothing to be done here without breaking scaling.
    The flickering you mention is entirely an application issue.

8. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    OH yeah, the framerate and overall performance gain is massive in titanfall in SLI, the only problem is there are light sources, like light bulbs on the walls of buildings, that flicker like a strobe light. So its up to the Titanfall devs to patch it, i guess.

9. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
  10. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex

11. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Tomb Raider (2013)

The game uses the Nvidia given flag 0x084000F5. When TressFX is enabled (known that TressFX performance on Nvidia is bleh), in many areas, frame rates will plummet to the mid 20's, with GPU usage dropping to the 50% or lower range. It's rather common too and can make it unplayable.
    • When SLI is enabled with TressFX, drops occur.
    • When SLI is disabled with TressFX, drops don't occur.
    • When SLI is enabled without TressFX, drops don't occur.

I read and tried: 0x081902F5 (Far Cry 3) and 0x080040F5 (Daylight/Far Cry 4/Evolve).

0x080040F5
    TressFX and SLI work fine together. Lower performance than original flag though, via benchmark. No drops during actual gameplay.
    • Min: 89.1
    • Avg: 126.8
    • Max: 164.0

0x081902F5
    TressFX and SLI also work fine together. Performance is even better than the Nvidia given flag too. No drops during actual gameplay. I read that some users noticed ferns in the jungle flickering, but have seen nothing of the sort quite a few hours in. I have noticed very rare shadow problems where light seems cut off slightly (really is an insignificant problem many wouldn't notice, not even positive it's a problem).
    • Min: 96.0
    • Avg: 129.1
    • Max: 166.0

0x084000F5
    This is the Nvidia given flag. TressFX and SLI don't work well together, but the problem won't manifest in the benchmark.
    • Min: 94.0
    • Avg: 128.5
    • Max: 166.0

0x081902F5 is the to go flag as I see it. I tried AFR2 for all the flags, and Croft's hair is popping in and out and doing all sorts of things--so AFR is a must.

All settings are maxed out at 1920x1080@120Hz. The only setting not at the highest is anti-aliasing, which is set to 2xSSAA.

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    The TressFX SLI issue should be corrected as of 344.11 WHQL.
    But maybe something was broken in the 347.xx drivers?

Also I recommend using 4xSSAA with shadows reduced to "Normal".
    Those contact hardening shadows look terrible in this game:
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1883789#post1883789

Could you please try "0x084040F5" in TR 2013?

13. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    0x084040F5
    Worst performance of all the flags so far. Any and all hair abnormalities seem to be fixed though, like official. No TressFX slowdowns.
    • Min: 88.0
    • Avg: 121.3
    • Max: 156.0

0x084840F5
    Same as above.
    • Min: 88.0
    • Avg: 120.6
    • Max: 160.0

Now I'm irritated though since I can't get 0x084000F5 (official) to induce those massive slowdowns anymore. I don't think shader caching would really impact it that much, could it?

Anyhow, I still see Far Cry 3's flag better performing, although her hair may cast more shadows than needed--not seeing really any other problems there.

14. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Those fluctuations you see in the benchmark (especially the min FPS) can easily be contributed to a CPU limit.
    I would say, there is no actual performance difference between the tested profiles.
    The official profile seems to scale very well for me, but maybe I will test further to make sure.

Do you have any actual ingame screenshot comparisons showing slowdowns with the official SLI profile?
    In which part of the game did you notice slowdowns originally?

15. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Nope. It happened through the entire intro and when I first went outside to look at the coast with all the wreckage--to which I was fed up enough with it to find a different flag. The one place in particular I remember the drops was right when you fall (literally the intro sequence), drop on a piece of rebar, and start walking through that narrow cave. Disabling TressFX right there fixed it entirely, and the moment I turned it back the drops occurred in the area.

I think I'll just let the topic die in its tracks since I can't replicate the problems all of a sudden, so I have nothing to work off of anymore. :deadhorse: Scailing/performance does seem identical in the rain, although Far Cry 3's did get a higher max of about +0.2 to +0.3 frames more often than the official did.

16. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    The problem in Tomb Raider is that SLI affects TressFX hair weight and physics. Every added GPU applies a /2 factor in weight. So using 2xSLI hair looks floaty with a bit of flickering in the fine strands. With 3xSLI hair is SUPER floaty. Only with singlegpu TressFX is accurate.

It's not a horrible problem, but it is annoying.

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Perhaps, but after the 344.11 WHQL driver the issue is very minor with 2-way SLI :)
    Compared to the "crazy hair" before this driver revision, this is a vast improvement IMO.

18. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Redacted

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Can anyone look in their NVIDIA Inspector and post AC: Unity SLI flag?

I deleted Unity profile and now the Unity SLI Flag seems to be missing.

20. twin snakes

twin snakes New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 6800GT
    SLI bits (dx1x) 0x0A0010F5 (Assassin's Creed Unity)