multiple instances of rtsshooksloader64.exe

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by dsbig, Jun 8, 2014.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    why oh why do I have 18 instances of rtshooksloader64.exe showing in processes in task manager.

is it really saying I have 18 programs that it hooked it. but yet no program is showing it.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Go to your MSI AB folder , open the MSIafterburner.cfg file and add a delay to startup , this helps many people with this issue .
    Under setting section change line to this

StartupDelay= 20000

This will add 20sec to startup .

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ive got 3 instances

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I have only one .
    try this , close AB and restart it and see what shows .

5. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Hi Ed, I have set a StartupDelay of 60000 and still get some time multiple instances.

I think it's because I have an old PC (Q6600 @2.4) which is not so fast starting the instance and RTSS doesn't wait (enough) checking if the HookLoader is started or not and firing up the next instance.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    try different times to see if it helps , but if you go to far on time UAC may kick in .
    What I did was use a app that shows load time of each process then pick delay were nothing happening .

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I uninstall and reinstalled and it created instances. and updated it too. and it went to almost 100 instances..

this is happening in windows 7. and the system takes a while to load because of all the stuff I have set to run at bootup.

I havent check windows 8 yet. I redid my drive and I have to restore my windows 8 backup image. then I can check.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    100 instances is ridiculous. You are running heaps of applications @ startup which seems to be causing this. Likely using a HDD and a gazillion startup apps ? You need to delay AB from loading.

Measure how much time your system needs before it stops loading stuff at desktop. Input that timeframe into the MSIafterburner.cfg

If you need 60 secs ...

StartupDelay= 60000

But it is better to eliminate the actual root issue ...

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I get the instance issue (few instances of RTSShooksloader64.exe )maybe once a week or two at startup but I consider my system pretty barebones as far as having many startup app .
    At windows after restart w/o AB loaded I got like 50 processes with 6 listed in startup . I do use HDD and win boots in under 30sec , but the delay stops it for me .
    I could use less delay i am sure, something like 10sec would probably work too but i play it safe with slightly more .

This started with 3.0 when 64bit app compatibility .
    I think its just the way the processes load off AB, AB, then RTSS , then RTSShooksloader64 , one triggers the next it seems (RTSS and RTSShooksloader64 seem to load same time ) .

Edit : looks like all pproceses to start at startup are done in 23sec , only thing loading after that are delayed services

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  10. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    With Sysinternals ProcessExplorer you can see the dependencies.
    AB is starting RTSS
    RTSS is starting RTSSHooksLoader64 and the EncoderServer

[​IMG]

What tool did you use to measure the startup timings?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes, PE is good to show that linking .
    I used ProcessLasso cause I have it here running but I also use processexplorer .
    You have to add the column start time to PE , then you see timestamp of each process when it started .

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  12. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    I was gonna make a new topic for this but no need now. I too have double and sometimes even tripe instances of both RTSSHooksLoader64.exe & EncoderServer64.exe

I havent seen more than 3 instances tho. Not sure what causes this. I added the delay 20000 - we'll see if this helps.

13. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

N new instances of RTSSHooksLoader64 means that it was started and DIDN'T respond during N seconds (handshake with RTSSHooksLoader64 is being performed once per second and new instance is being started if there is no response received).
    The most real scenario is AV keeping the process frozen in sandbox during startup while lots of other applications are being loaded. Fixes are either delaying AB startup with settings provided above or configuring AV to prevent it from freezing RTSSHooksLoader64 during OS startup.

14. Unwinder

I'll try to add some internal delays to RTSS<->RTSSHooksLoader64 handshaking implementation, so RTSS won't be allowed to spawn new instances on RTSSHooksLoader64 during some period of time (user defined via CFG). I'll set it to 10 seconds by default. Let's see if it help addressing issue on your systems.

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I think that will help, I don't run any AV so thats not what caused my issue .
    I also got a pop up message that RTSShookloader64,exe had a problem , along with event viewer log .
    I think I had only 2 or maybe 3 instances , I have lower my delay to 12sec now and seems I still have room to lower , but every system is different . I think its just the daisy chain of loading all processes off AB that doing it .

16. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    And did other software inject the dll into it?
    Sometimes the software don't working well is because of the dll that it don't design to compatibility with it. :)

17. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I have set StartupDelay to 120000 and my screenshot from pc-startup this morning shows three RTSSHooksloader64, where the last two are in the same second:
    [​IMG]

I'll add RTSS, RTSSHooksloader64 and EncoderServer to the exceptions for realtime scanner of my AV and see what's happening tomorrow morning.
    [edit]
    Wait... I was on my way to set these as exceptions and I already set them in my AV.
    So this is not the fault. Too bad.
    [/edit]

Would be great to overcome this issue.

Thanks for investigate into it.

My worst case was this, some time ago, without having set StartupDelay.
    I wasn't able to close all the instances before new respawn and I had to kill whole process tree starting with MSI AB.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    like what for example , I have very little loading that not windows stuff, only Nvidia basic driver , physicx , Realtech audio and mouse LGS , thats it .

19. Unwinder

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Looking at top PE window I don't see anything near, loading at time of RTSS and RTSSHooksloader64 (unless below has some) in the 7:26:xx to &:29:xx time span .