SSD recomandation for non-trim

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by cristy6100, Aug 2, 2013.

1. cristy6100

cristy6100 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 275
    Hello, just registered today to ask a question that I could not find a definitive answer to,
    I want to buy 2 Samsung 840 Pro's 120GB to RAID-0 them on 990FX as far as I know no trim, in this config, but I know that they have garbage collection, but reading on the forums/reviews some say its not making a good job of using it without the TRIM command from the OS, and some say it does, but its almost 300E investment so I cannot go by a 50/50 chance, the other options would be LAMD based SSD Corsair Neutron GTX and Seagate 600 Pro;
    So could someone please clarify does it make a good job of restoring read/write speeds if left idle for lets say 1h-2h's or should I choose the neutron or Seagate, as I read they work better without TRIM, but again some reviewers say they do some say they don't work at all good without it. I really need some clarification on this matter

Thank you :)

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    990FX certainly does support TRIM on either the standard Microsoft driver or AMD's AHCI implementation. Support was added years ago with the 700 series Dragon platform if I recall.

3. cristy6100

cristy6100 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 275
    Yes but as far as I know it only works for single drives, if SATA is configured in RAID mode, if you make a RAID array it wont pass the TRIM command,

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    AMD doesn't have TRIM support when using RAID. At least not yet anyways. Intel does though. But you should be ok using the Samsungs in RAID. Magician has an optimization tool you can use for when TRIM isn't available.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Unless you have a SPECIFIC goal in mind for throughput in a certain application, SSD RAID0 does not seem to benefit boot times or game loading times.

6. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I have decided to build up Raid 0 with 5x Corsair Force GS. 2500mb/s read and 2000mb/s write, with LSI 9211 controller.

My X48 chipset and DDR3 memory guarantees that this bandwidth is not supressed by any kind of bottleneck.

Boot time is about same, true, but loading times are almost immediate. I can also notice different behavior of system - like the clock near cursor is not constantly there when loading data, but they are flashing very fast, as its certain that CPU have to take a break once data from drive are loaded... :)

7. cristy6100

cristy6100 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 275
    Does the LSI SAS 9211-8i have UEFI firmware, for supporting windows 8 secureboot and fastboot?