GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 BFG OCX MaxCORE review Guru3D

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 16, 2008.

1. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    Another bad move on nVidia's part. Somehow nVidia manages to piss off both current 260 owners and 280 owners. And these are your best customers who stuck around despite the 4800 series hype. Makes little sense to undercut these guys so soon. Let's face it, you can't be happy if you bought a 260 lately, and you surely can't be happy if you paid 500-600 or more for a 280. NVidia...you are only pissing off your most loyal.

Also, what about SLI with mixed 260s? If they don't run together...another huge mistake and more confusion.

2. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    To be fair i think everyone knows when they buy a graphics card that something faster or a newer model is going to come out, its what happens, and therefore i doesnt annoy me.

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Yes, i have to agree. It is bit confusing when nVidia have ALOT of diffrent NUMBERS( not models) of the same GPU, or the naming is missleading.

I thinik i prefer more "clean" product line.

+ I think its a bit a strike in to current owners of GTX260/280.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    They surely need to do something about 280GTX, rev. 2 or lower the price.

5. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Kind of disappointed with this. Sure, there's a framerate increase, but a percentage of that increase can be attributed to the overclock they've put on it. Compare the GPU clock speeds of the original (or even the OCed version) and you'll see that the card they tested was clocked faster than both. Significantly faster than the original reference clock even.

I'd prefer to see a stock clocked review. A factory OC one doesn't show you the difference those shaders make.

6. damage-_-inc

damage-_-inc Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI ICEQ4 Turbo 4850
    this OCX maxcore is a beast! really looking forward to/if ATI responds with nvidia's revisions. I hear Asus is making a revision to the 4870x2; nothing major, just a better heatsink supposedly and more stability. Going to be in the market in a couple of months and the GPU war continues!

7. Hollow27

Hollow27 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 Core216@FTW+
    I love it. I gave $309 after rebate a couple months ago for my evga 260 and now i'm in the process of stepping up for $8 shipping total. Gotta love EVGA.:)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^yup 8 buck upgrade
    who says ati will put out a card to compete?....no way keep waiting....sheeez your still waiting for new ati drivers lol

9. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    Hmm ya its a good card i guess... but lowest on newegg is $300. I still think i lean towards the 4870 at $260... What will really stir things up is when the 4850x2 starts coming around. Now that might be truly interesting

10. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Nice review...

question: NVIDIA ForceWare 177.39 driver was used, I didn't see support for that driver in it? Wouldn't there be a more current released within the time frame of making this review that supports this card?

11. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    Nice review, that 8 dollar EVGA step is pretty nice! The "customers will be confused argument" some like to use when they release a small refresh is pretty lame when we are talking about discrete mid or high end gaming cards! Anyone looking to buy a 260 is already into tech and follows these things, how else would they know what gfx card to buy if they were not. Hence, they would know what version to look for. That leaves us with an average joe at best buy who will more then likely buy a 50 dollar 8 series card. If they did for some odd reason spend 300$ on a whim and pick up a 260 that happens to be the old version, they wouldn't even know there is a newer version and thus will not know, ignorance is bliss. I just think that argument is a real reach.

I was curious about BFGs new policy. So if you do not register within 30 days, your warranty is now void? Or what is going on with that.

12. Gaz32

Gaz32 New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX260 AMP ED
    Great review,

I am surprised at how well the BFG OCX MaxCORE keeps up with the GTX280, My self being a GTX260 owner it was a little daunting knowing there is a revision out so quick but if they drop the prices of the old ones down by a bit to get rid of them great, i will grab a second one.

The GTX280 does not look like a good buy at all now with the BFG OCX MaxCORE so close in results and way cheaper.

You got to love how cheap it is now to have a high end GFX card.

13. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Like I said before, Nvidia has just competed with themselves, yet again, and nullified just about any reason to go for the more expensive GTX 280. They keep doing it though so I can't say I'm surprised to see it happen.

14. Darcon

Darcon Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 630/2000
    Whoever decided that 30-40 FPS was "very" playable is a ****ing idiot.

15. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    It depends entirely on which game you are playing. Making a comment like this about the guy who runs this site however...you can't be the smartest guy around. :3eyes: