Lag and stuttering when i playing at 30 fps

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by elpollodiablo31, Apr 20, 2017.

1. elpollodiablo31

elpollodiablo31 Member

GPU:
    None
    Hello everyone. I have a problem with the smoothness of my new graphics card. I upgraded from a gtx 1050 ti by a 480 rx. The change was out for 40 €.

My problem is that this gpu does not work well at 30 fps. It goes with lag and it seems at certain times that you go to 20 fps. On the other hand, if I set the fps to 40, this will be fixed.

I use the drivers 17.4.1 and windows 10 creators update. I've turned off game mode, but it's still happening. This with my previous gtx 1050 ti did not happen to me.

I would like to cover fps in certain games because my processor is old and does not give to keep good fps in badly optimized games. I prefer as a lesser evil to do that to have stuttering always and without jerks.

How can I solve it?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Is your monitor is at 80Hz by any chance?

Make sure your display refresh is multiple of 30Hz!

4. elpollodiablo31

elpollodiablo31 Member

GPU:
    None
    My monitor is a benq 22 "senseye from 7 years ago fullhd.60hz The installation of windows 10 creators update was new.I downloaded the windows usb fully updated to that version.It is not an update.The rx 480 already had it when I installed windows 10. I do not need to pass the ddu because I do not have nvidia drivers

The rest of the equipment is a fx-6300 4.5ghz, ssd 256gb, 8gb ram 1866mhz and little else to count. That happens to me in old or new games. At 30 fps are not fluids. Looks like they're going at 20 fps. I think it's an AMD driver problem, because it was not the same with the gtx 1050 ti.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Check your frametimes. With Afterburner or FRAPS...

You want them constantly locked.
    30fps locked should give you flat 33ms line, 40fps is 25ms.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    What games are you running? Fullscreen or Windowed Fullscreen? Do you run with VSync enabled? Are you using any apps like RadeonPro? If so, what settings?

What else is running in your background? Have you tested your system latency?

7. elpollodiablo31

elpollodiablo31 Member

GPU:
    None
    30 fps block with rivatunner + vsync. Even then I have problems. The frametimes are correct, but it's not what I see on the screen. Those 30 fps are not real

I checked the latencies and this came out

[​IMG]

Apparently is related to usb ports

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This may or may not have something to do with your latencies.
    50% of PCs will exhibit issue with latencies when put under LatencyMon scope.

Try playing with CPU affinity (task manager). And specify which games we are talking about. Do all games run badly?

Maybe you should have mentioned FX-6300 in the name of your thread; I think we might have a culprit there. FX+Radeon not being the best combo.
    I'm just thinking out loud, the culprit might be something else completely.

9. elpollodiablo31

elpollodiablo31 Member

GPU:
    None
    I think the processor was not relevant. I was not talking about playing at 60 fps, but at 30 fps. For that the fx goes to spare. The same for some games and 60 fps. The problem is that capping at 30 fps the games do not go to real 30 fps. It does not matter whether new or old games.

This did not happen to me with the gtx 1050 ti, which when it was at 30 fps the games went to 30 fps like those of a console.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes I know what you mean. FX should be enough for 30fps. And apparently it is with GTX.

If you have the spare partition/disk, the fastest way to troubleshoot is often simply to reinstall the OS. No, screw often - always.
    Because that fixes all kinds of potential issues you might be facing right now.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What happens if you run games at default FPS?
    Have you tried to crank up graphical settings in games to shift load to GPU?

I guess that some game engines are not agree with non-standard refresh rates.

I see no troubles in LatencyMon`s report. (Nobody knows what is this 'interrupt to process latency' but the rest values are pretty low.)

12. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    High latency on old systems is not a new story.
    Radeon Crimson drivers dont have problem with latency,like drivers for NV Pascal.
    You can try to install 16.12.2 WHQl driver to see how is it (after get DDU).

Your system have some trouble.On old systems USB2.0&Sata drivers have some nasty latency.

Gtx 1050TI ,low level card, has no big problems with FX 6300.
    For RX 480,high level card,you need a better PSU.

Btw,you need to see what is runing in background,some monitoring software,browser,torr,motheboard software,which can cause that lag/stutter.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Also, have you updated your AMD chipset drivers?

14. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    You should try radeonpro's double vsync instead. Still 30 fps is not gonna be smooth no matter what.

15. elpollodiablo31

elpollodiablo31 Member

GPU:
    None
    I installed the sata and usb3 motherboard drivers. Now there are no high latencies with the usb. But the same thing is still happening. At 30 fps is not smooth. However if I put 35-40fps with rivatunner hood is perfect. This is what surprises me most.

I dont know. At the end I see again in nvidia, because apart from this, if I put poorly optimized or old games the fx is fatal with this configuration.

Last radeon pro I don´t like. It has not been updated since 2013 and there are many recent games that are not supported.

16. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    It happens, I played with Cryostasis a few weeks ago and I had to cap it to 45 fps, any other cap (30, 40, 50) gave me either very low sub 20 fps or massive stuttering.

17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    1.Try limiting your FPS in RivaTuner to 28 (its recommended to always limit 2 fps below in riva tuner 28 and 58).
    2. Run the game with FPS limit and no VSYNC see if its the VSYNC
    3. Om Nvidia there is a setting called "maximum pre-rendered frames", on AMD its called either "Maximum Render Ahead Limit" or "Flip Queue Size", change it to 1.

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Enable double vsync. I think you need Radeon Pro to enable this. This should fix the uneven 30FPS issues.

I believe the setting is called "VSync Half Refresh Rate" in Radeon Pro. Make sure to only use the half refresh vsync. NOT the "adaptive" vsync.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Which power plan are you using? Does this happen when you switch to High Performance?

20. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    30fps is like acid in my eyes...do not understand ppl playing at this rate...

Aim higher man. Second - audio or motherboard makes latency spikes. Or card which makes me ask...

PSU?
    480 has higher power req...
    I see Antec 550W - it SHOULD be enough, but PSU can degrade in time. And this product is like 3y+ old. If you have option to use some1 else PSU, or - use multimeter to exclude PSU from equation...12V idle and load levels can tell a lot. 3.3V and 5V too...