For anyone considering the new X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by stormy, Oct 11, 2006.

1. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Just posting this as a heads up for anyone considering getting one of these cards, form the look of the card it appears that Creative has gone and done the same thing with the X-Fi series that they did with the Audigy's; made a card that does all effects processing in software. Here is a side-by-side picture of the new Xtreme Audio and an Audigy SE,

[​IMG]

other than a few extra capacitors on the X-Fi there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two cards. Another thing that makes me suspect that this new card is in the same category as the Audigy LS/SE/DE/Value is this line from the release notes from the new X-Fi beta drivers,

the only other time you see that in Creative drivers is for the Audigy's, and it says the same thing about not installing on the LS/SE/DE/Value. And the only reason that they say that is those cards are missing the EMU10K2 chip on them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an update to this now that these cards have been out for a while.

The X-Audio is basically a re-badged SBLive 24 bit/Audigy LS/SE/DE/Value in that it doesn't not have the X-Fi processor on it (as already mentioned) and has to do all processing in software. It also has its own drivers. Another thing is that the X-Audio does not support Game mode, which the rest of the X-Fi's (including the X-Gamer) do.

A couple of more links showing just how good this card isn't,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-fi#X-Fi_Xtreme_Audio

http://jimmyauw.com/2007/01/16/x-fi-extreme-audio-audigy-se/

Also as far as the drivers go they are interchangeable between all of the Live and Audigy cards listed above. About the only thing you really get new with the Xtreme Audio is a few of the X-Fi apps.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I love how they put the sticker over the chip so you can't cross index the DSP and see what chip it really is. It is not a real 20KX also known as a X-fi processor. So guys and gals...the card is juat a waste of money and won't save you cpu cycles if anything it would slow your games down even MORE!

3. Curst

Curst Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTS 512MB
    This looks like the same **** nVidia tried to pull with GF4 MX-series of cards.

My bet is that this is Audigy1-cards on steroids... :(

4. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    i thout it was X-Fi Xtreme music not audio???cus that card looks nothing like the xtreme music card im confused

or are these cards a cheap low line model of the X-FI??????????

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006

5. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    They're the new buget "X-FI's".

6. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    And a heatsink on the Gamer version.

Bingo. The only one of the new cards worth getting is the Fatal1ty Gamer version, which is allows you to get a X-Fi with the X-Ram on it (whether there is anything to use it is beside the point) and save almost $100 over the one with the drivebay box.

7. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Avoid these cards like the plague.

8. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Gamer version is still up in the air. On creative's website, it says it "improves gaming performance" for this card as it does for all X-fi's save the xtreme audio. This COULD just finally be a budget-high-end solution.

9. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Of course they're going to say it improves performance, it has the word Gamer in its name. I think we have pretty much established that the new "Gamer" and "Audio" X-Fi's are basically the same card with cosmetic differences (look at the pics of both). All these new cards have over Creatives previous budget/garbage cards (SBLive 24 bit, Audigy SE/DE/LS/Value) is they make use of the X-Fi apps and features, only problem is these new cards will do everything in software as opposed to hardware like the rest of the X-Fi series.

Like I said above the only one of the three new cards worth getting is the Fatal1ty Gamer edition as it isn't a new card, just the Fatal1ty version minus the breakout box.

But if you want to be the guinea pig and get/test out one of the new cards, be our guest.

10. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    I think I just might be. If in fact it is the same as the "audio", wouldn't "improves gaming performance" be a bold-faced lie? No card tackling X-fi quality audio in software could possibly hope to improve performance. Why would they label a product as "gamer" if it sucks to game with? I know other's have done it, but this is Creative here, can't we trust them? ...A little?

11. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Good day

X-fi extreme audio? I think there will be no hardware mixing, no hardware eax3 and 4 (eax5?), no dts 6.1 ex, lower snr rating, no firewire, and lower quality dac.

But for the rest it should better than any onboard audio, even the HD ones.

A friend of mine got a mainboard with onboard sound (Realtek alc660), but the onboard soundchip is not working correctly, sound cracks and constantly default the 5.1 setting to 2.1. So he decide to buy an audigy se (just upgraded to a X2 system, he doesn't have much money left), while I advice him to buy at least an audigy 2 zs. But I am surprised that the sound produced by the card is quite okay, not as good as a real audigy 2 zs or 4 pro, but still a lot better than any sound onboard. He didn't use eax in games, so no need for hardware eax. So value/budget soundcard have compromises.

But I would like to see Creative labs to launch some mid-end sound cards, because those audigy se cards are still low-end. Edit: it's great to see some mid-end soundcards like the Xtreme Gamer for under the 100 dollars!

If the Audigy Se sounds okay, then the X-fi Xtreme Audio 'must' sound better.

Edit: have seen or have have heard the Xtreme Audio in action; the sound produced by the card is quite nice; in Need for speed: Most Wanted you will see some hiccups when using an Xtreme Audio soundcard (driver problem/issues?). Definitely a good card for audio and music, therefor the name Xtreme Audio; But since the price of a Xtreme Audio is not that different from the Xtreme Music, I would go for an Xtreme Music (discontinued) instead for the Xtreme Audio - The Xtreme Music is around the 75 dollars and the Xtreme Audio around 70 ; even the newer X-fi Xtreme Gamer (smaller pcb version) is not really more expensive than the Xtreme Audio, while the Xtreme Gamer will be a lot better card for people who want to enjoy AND want to play games . The Xtreme Gamer costs around the 85 bucks! So, In my opinion the price for X-fi Xtreme Audio is a little too high (around 70 dollars); a price of 50 or below would be better!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Can't we trust Creative? -I can tell you don't have that much experience with Creative..They are famous for fudging their spec's to show the card can do something it in no way can achieve. Improves gaming is open to interpretations...improves what? sound? -sure it does that -possibly..but kille your FPS. I am not sure I am just saying. Don't be so trrusting of Creative they do NOT have a good record for messing with specs's and have even been sued over it. Just a thought. It's your money so make sur your buying the right product or you might as well just throw it away. Hope this helps. BTW if it's the Fatal1ty version without a breakout box then your good to go..just be sure!...Creative makes LOTS of cards for people who don't know any better and they end up being dissapointed in the end. Make sure your not one of them...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  13. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Well, they did delivered exactly what i expected from X-Fi. And it's one hell of a soundcard. Wouldn't trade it for anything else. Ever. I don't care about anyones history and bacground as long as i'm happy with the product.
    Sure drivers could be updated more often but so far not much problems apart from FEAR Combat getting bad framerate with EAX4 HD enabled (and even this happens over time and not immediatelly). Everything else plays very nice. And so far i haven't seen anyone from my country to be unhappy with X-Fi.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Really? look through the X-Meridian thread quite a few guys just waiting to trade up. You hit the nail on the head though. Aslong as you like your set up and it sound good to you then all is good. We are talking about these cards and others that are marketed very deceptivley and people who don't know better or who are sold on them by crafty salesman and they end up with something they don't and didn't want. This thread has little to do with REAL X-fi's which are very good at what they are built for. Games.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Actually the X-Fi core is codenamed CA20K1 (unlike Live!/Audigy series which were codenamed EMUxKx). Anyway, small detail ;)

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yeah the 20KX DSP -The X-fi Processor, I metioned that in another thread.

17. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    I was wondering how much quality I would gain from upgrading from my current audigy 4 to the xfi fatal1ty extreme gamer?

18. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    the XtremeGamer Fatal1ty pro series card is probably the ONLY Fatal1ty product i would even CONSIDER purchasing....... although if i did do so, i'd probably still try to find a way to remove every single Fatal1ty log from the thing. HATE that guy with a passion.

edit: actually..... if i had the money and was deciding on a new sound card right now.... pretty sure i'd skip the Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty, and go for the X-Fi Platinum for $128.99 after $50 MIR

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @Yur, Probably not much. Those two new budget X-fi's are just rebranded Audigy2's or 4's they are nothing near a real X-fi. If your gonna buy a X-fi get a real one. I am speaking of those two new Xtremeaudio & Xtremegamer I would save my money and get a better model.

20. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Just an update. If what is written here,

http://www.team-dignitas.org/index.php?id=3324

about the XtremeGamer is correct, it looks like this card may be worth considering. From the looks of it the XtremeGamer may be the X-Fi version of the Audigy 2 Value.