Serious question for Fellow Wii owners.....?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by jiu-jitsuGOD, Feb 5, 2007.

1. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I have a love/hate relationship with GoW online. I hate the sniper, how slow you turn around, the way you aim the shotgun(if you let go of the Ltrigger it's like you are on a swivel). I especially hate the moronic teammates I get stuck with 80% of the time. It's a friggin team-based game! If you go on your own you are guaranteed to die, yet they still do it, all the time. The hit detection is way off, headshots sometimes have no effect at certain times. I better quit cause I'm getting p1ssed thinking about it lol, I have way more complaints. Alot of times I go back to halo2 because GoW gets so frustrating online. The kills are just so satisfying though I keep coming back like an abused dog or something. Oh well it doesn't matter my 3yr old broke my disc last week so I can't play it anymore anyway lol.

2. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    lol i did love RAyman raiving rabbits xD i was playing on comp but still :D

3. skarlito

skarlito Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtech 9600 gt
    just wait for some games like no more heroes(seems fantastic),brawl,metroid,dragon quest,maybe a new mario cart and while you wait i'm sure there are going to be some very interesting titles that we aren't aware of.

i'm not a wii owner but when all this comes out maybe i become.wii will be the best platform for anime like games which i like.

one technical question.why the graphics in wii titles are no better than an x-box(in my eyes are a bit worse).it suppose to be more powerful with newer technology.

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    because if you ask me..... the people at Nintendo aren't idiots. Sony and MS try to release the most excellent looking games early in their console's life. what does that lead to? boredom. they are basically EXPECTED to release games that look at LEAST that good, if not better, for the rest of the console's existence. Nintendo seems to tend to let the graphics gradually rise before the full power of the console is used. in the GC's case, the full power of the console was only used for like.... 2 games (Resident Evil 4 and now Twilight Princess (i think)). Plus..... developers have to get used to the control scheme. focusing too much on graphics at this point in time at the same time as the controls would mean games would NEVER get released.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It's actually just slightly more faster than an xbox, with some added features.

6. Steroids

Steroids Master Guru

GPU:
    #justdecoration
    I couldn't agree any more. I purchased my Wii around launch, and haven't touched it after I beat Zelda ( I beat it about a month and a half ago) . Besides Zelda, the games are really dissapointing:

Madden: "The easiest Madden ever. (back of the box) " - Not even close, the gimmicky controls confused me and just made me go back to the 360 version.

THDJ: Terrible. Controls are stupid and the graphics = early ps2.

I've played some other games, and there are some hidden gems amongst the gimmicks (Trauma Center, Warioware) Overall, I'm sure (hoping) the system will improve over 2007 with the anticipated releases of Mario Galaxy, SSBB, and other great games. So, so far, I would have to agree that the Wii isn't the "Revolution" of gaming systems, but it has a great amount of potential.

7. jiu-jitsuGOD

jiu-jitsuGOD Banned

GPU:
    quad sli8800GTX @826/2900 :) (H2o)
    I might pick up swing away golf. I heard it got good reviews.
    so far the Wii is pretty underwhelming besides zelda. I heard a really crazzy rumor that Nintendo plans to come out with a Graphics addon solution for the Wii kinda of like they did with n64's ram pack. but this will actually be kinda of like a "32x" to bring the Wii graphics up to par. I will try to find the link to post about it because I found it at work and not home. anyone else hear this?
    I think that would be a great Idea personally.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I heard no rumours about that.

Although, they did have some ports in the GC that probably could have been used for something like that, they just never used it.

9. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    After playing through games like Zelda:TP, WarioWare:SM, and Super Monkey Ball, I think the Wii remote along with the "nun-chuck" setup is extremely well crafted. I've seen some people say they find it difficult and/or just simply don't like it. Personally, after just an hour with Zelda I found it to be second nature, and actually prefer it. As to how creative third-parties get with it, that remains to be seen. There's certainly a lot of potential for radically new types of gameplay.

Just the fact that they can apply such an unconventional control scheme, and make it work so well (IMO) for games that weren't even intended for it, like Zelda:TP, says A LOT to me. I get the sense that some folks (not everyone) aren't setting it up properly. It's very important that you place the sensor straight on, as well as make the proper setting in the Wii menu, i.e. on top of TV, or on bottom of TV.

Also Zelda allows for further fine-tuning within the game, which I highly recommend. The only thing that's starting to become a problem with me is the cost of batteries. Even top-notch Duracell batteries don't really last all that long, maybe for about 35-40hrs. of gameplay. That's something to think about over the long run...the cost certainly does add up.

Really the Wii isn't as cheap as it may seem once you factor in getting component cables or an S-Video cable (going from composite to component truly makes a night and day difference), cost of batteries, SD card for VC games, cost of VC games, etc. You can easily rack up $400+ pretty quickly just getting set up with the Wii and playing games, VC or otherwise, over a month.

On the other hand, I don't know what Sony was thinking with the Sixaxis control feature. It's pretty damn wonky, and for now seems to be more of a gimmick than anything else IMHO. Even MSG creator has bluntly asked for the Dual-Shock controllers back. No one really likes Sixaxis it would seem.

Overall, I do applaud Nintendo for their inventiveness. It does seem they know what they're doing. There's certainly going to be some great first-party titles over the Wii's lifespan, and they already have pretty big installed base in just a few months, which is always a very good thing. I just hope that the third-parties really start jumping into the fray.

10. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    yeah.. its a great system... I disagree with your first post though... I have Zelda (of course), Excite Truck, Red Steel, Elebits, Rayman, and sports... And I love them all... I am really waiting for some of the upcoming games like others have said... The Godfather looks sweet (have it for the PC). And of course Mario and Metroid are going to rock!

I would say by the end of summer we will have a really slick line up... But it is going to take some time...

Overall though the console hasn't lost any of it's novelty for me... I am still loving it just as much as I did when I first got it before xmas.

I will say though, lately I have been playing more of the vc games than the wii titles... lol :p

11. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    I don't know about you, and I hate to sound all "Newell-ish," but I have to admit I've gotten far more enjoyment out of my Wii, than my PS3 and a year of owning a 360 combined!

With all the VC games, Wii launch titles (especially Zelda), news network, etc., it's just been a blast. Really, I was rooting for the PS3 to be honest, which still has a chance of market-dominance (IMO), but I never even close to expected so much from the Wii. I could never have predicted it's amazing success thusfar.

12. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I think the success of the Wii was/is highly underestimated... IMO... I don't think Sony is going to come out on top on this one...