Is Mantle exclusive to ATI/AMD or can future nvidia drivers adopt Mantle too?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dr_hycodan, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr_hycodan

dr_hycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    The performance boost that Mantle offers over DX11 is surprisingly good. Would be ashamed if nvidia users have to stick with DX11 while ATI users get to use Mantle.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Mantle isn't proprietary. Nvidia can use it if they want. But I highly doubt they will

3. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    ^ Yip, for Nvidia to use Mantle would be like Apple using Android on their iPhone's, it aint gonna happen.

But then again, i don`t think Nvidia is just going to sit back and do nothing (well i hope not) they might plan some kind of counter-technology of sorts.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Mantle isn't anti Nvidia, it's anti Microsoft!

Game developers do not want to develop for 3 different APIs. Nvidia will be forced into supporting Mantle.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Maybe but they wont support it unless they absolutely have to.. Just look at how long it took them to start making drivers for linux

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    For mantle to truly succeed we need nvidia on board.

7. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    nvidia create a Mantle emulator, more slow with dx 11 lol

problem is dx 11 totaly desotimized bad coded

please microsoft fix dx 11 create service pack for dx 11 to optimize dx 11 = dx 9.0c

pratical example
    [​IMG]

same game on dx 11 very slow 1/10 speed dx 9
    [​IMG]

8. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    amd says mantle is open... but to nvidia use that need uses gcn in your architecture... so... is no open... is exclusive...

nvidia announced make your own api now...

dx12 announced soon with same gain than mantle and new nvidia api... so... microsoft owned amd and nvidia... and us gonna see this api´s death in soon...

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Nay. They said Mantel is not GCN exclusive. Mantle is thin abstraction layer. AMD is not stupid enough to make API that would only work with GCN. What would happen when they release new architecture? Exactly.... If AMD releases proper documentation then it might be possible to make driver for it. "...leading up to a public release of the specifications later in 2014."

10. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    what the hell?
    M_A_N_T_L_E ...mantle thread in the Nvidia section? :3eyes:
    hey OP, what mantle has shown so far (bf4) , still nothing revolutionary to be honest.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    No he is right, that is how low level api work , its very specific to HW .
    Sure Nvidia could problably use some of it now (if driver supported) but it be very limited and probably not worth it.
    For it to be worth it they would need to redo HW architecture that works just like AMD does .
    If rummors of Maxwell using co-processor onboard , I wonder how that could be used to take up slake and some BW of CPU .

I doubt we see low level driver from Nvidia, If they wanted to go down that road they had best time to do it when they took over 3DFX . They never used any of that tech AFAIK .

The best thing that can come out of this is better Dx extensions from MS .

12. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    This API will die like the rest of API's across the history, remember ?

AMD wants their users to think they can put maximum performance, but they don't have the resources compared with the behemoth, Nvidia.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If its so open why do you need a 7000 series or higher to run it?

14. DarkOneZ13

DarkOneZ13 Guest

GPU:
    MSI/GTX 980/4096MB
    Nvidia already has nvapi.

15. MrMicrochip

MrMicrochip Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix

16. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    I dunno, I overclock my GPU and CPU and I gain more than 12-15% in performance. Not really impressed. Show me a 75% increase and I'd consider it. Being AMD I'm sure there are issues not mentioned in these articles too. ie, the beta mantle driver probably breaks every other game so you'd be swapping sets depending on which game you are playing. At least that was the my last experience with AMD and my 5800 series cards. I don't intend on going back to that crap.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So many false random facts going on here.. Not really surprised

This has nothing to do with mantle, what you see here is tessellation and all extra dx11 features limiting it..

DarkOneZ13
    That is not the same, its just hw monitoring layer.

GCN is very similar to nvidia's gpus since Fermi days, that's why there wouldn't be any real issues supporting it.

Nvidia needs a proper driver and then it will work.

This slide says it all.
    [​IMG]

So again its up to nvidia to support it, all you need to bitch @ nvidia forums.
    https://forums.geforce.com/

18. Mythril

Mythril Member Guru

GPU:
    4090FE
    Personally I'd like to think nVidia will jump on the Mantel bandwagon and soon but if they don't I can only think it's because they are too "stuck up" (for a better word) for their own good. Mantle is a good thing. A step in the right direction.

There is a lot of hate towards Mantel at present I feel from some nVidia users but I'm sure if nVidia had brought Mantel to the table first, these same naysayers would sing a different tune.

I truly hope nVidia see sense and support this new API. At the end of the day more speed is a good thing. So please nVidia, have a good long hard think about your next move. I'd love to see you support Mantel to it's full but if in the future Mantel become a big player and you're still not playing ball then I see no other option but to jump ship and I believe a lot will.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    He is not right. You can not compare mantle and glide. It has abstraction layer, thin and "better" according to AMD and it is not tied to GCN.

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    IMO , It would not be thin layer if they tried to support it on there hardware .
    The way it gets to be thin is to being very specific in function .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.