Strike Suit Zero. Kickstarter title.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by HonoredShadow, Dec 3, 2012.

1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Game launched just fine for me; driver is on 13.2 unofficial beta, Steam copy.
    Love the game so far; it feels definitely like Freelancer x Homeworld while piloting a VF-0.
    It even has multi-monitor and FOV settings for those who needs it.

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Word of warning people. RADEONPRO crashes the game and causes it to not launch. I've contacted the devs and let them know personally.

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
  4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I know what you mean. To be honest I don't mind a bit of naff voice acting. Add's to the game and fun factor. Especially when it's cheesy :)

6. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    I was looking forward to this game thinking that it would be a Gundam-esque gameplay. fast paced shooting, turning to robots and launching flashy missiles.

but I saw the gameplay and i was quite disappointed...

it looks like you'll spend most of the time as a space ship instead of a robot...
    the turning is quite slow...

btw...to all those who already got this...
    hows the storyline so far?

should I still be getting this game or not?
    I have a 7870...
    and someone said that amd had bugs in this game?

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They do have 'flashy missiles' like swarm missiles; you unlock more weaponry throughout the course of the game.

It's something you just have to play for yourself; gameplay videos just can't do it justice, especially when movement sensitivity is something you tune according to your taste.
    Moreover, the first few stages aren't really representing the whole game.

Novices, yes.
    Experienced players who knows which controls do what, no.

The strike mode (a.k.a. robot form) needs flux to activate.
    The flux regenerates slowly by itself, but you can speed it up by destroying enemies or stuff, wreckage included.
    When enough flux is accumulated (no need to wait until it's full; more than 10% is enough), strike mode can be activated.
    In this mode, your default gun will become a rather powerful, rapid-firing, mid-ranged flak gun with unlimited ammo.
    Your missiles, regardless of which loadout you chose for the stage (yes, you can customize the weapons loadout of your ship), it'll turn into a multi-lock swarm missiles with limited ammo.

The catch?
    Your flux will be used up for each shot, especially missiles, and will force you to turn back to pursuit mode (a.k.a. ship form) when it's empty.
    The thing is, you can still accumulate flux in strike mode by destroying enemies, thus prolonging the duration of the strike mode.
    Keep in mind that as long as you don't use any weapons, you won't use up any flux, so sitting still or evading missiles in strike mode won't diminish your flux.

The key is to NOT shoot things blindly, and don't use missiles unless it's really, really necessary, in which I often found it's not.
    Using missiles on a bunch of incoming fighters is a waste.
    Flashy, yes, and good for awesome screenshots, but a waste.
    And holding down the missile trigger to multi-lock actually drains the flux faster than holding down the gun trigger.

Personally, I found it more effective to close-up in pursuit mode, activate strike mode after you have a lock-on an within range of your shortest-ranged weapon, hold Shift and fire the gun away.

The turning rate for the strike mode is actually WAY faster than the pursuit mode by default; you can change the movement sensitivity for both modes in the options.
    In strike mode, the slow one is its acceleration; you virtually don't move that much, or at all, going forward.
    The advantage is that in strike mode you can auto-follow a locked-on enemy provided you hold the Shift key; something the Eurogamer's reviewer Rich Stanton seemingly didn't know how to use.
    Moreover, if you still hold Shift after a target is destroyed, it'll automatically lock-on to the next nearest target with auto-follow still active, so it's very effective in dispatching a torpedo swarm going towards your capital ship. (hint hint)

If you need to chase after a fleeing or distant enemy, you need to revert back to pursuit mode, hence the mode's name.

Storyline?
    Not that bad, just don't expect Mass Effect quality.
    And as most people have probably agreed on, the voice acting is a bit stiff, but nothing too distracting like Star Wolves if you've played that game.

Only if you use RadeonPro, it seems.
    Personally I don't have problems aside from the obvious slowdown on busy space fights which is normal on a laptop with specs like mine.

Whether you should be getting this or not is entirely up to you.
    If you have the patience of getting used to the controls until you can push buttons correctly without looking at the keyboard, you can expect over-the-top twitchy space sim action.
    Otherwise, stage 3 or 4 may just simply frustrate you, especially with the rather basic friendly AIs.

Personally, I find the game quite exhilarating.
    Punishing at times, yes, but I prefer it that way; not too easy, but quite fair once you know how to get things done using every trick available.
    Like switching guns constantly, because machine guns are better at draining shields, while plasma are better for hulls.

Of course, you can just go gung-ho with fingers crossed, but that's a bit masochistic in this game.
    But there are checkpoint system so you don't have to play through from the beginning of a stage in case you die halfway, along with fully restored armor, shield, and ordnance when you restart on a checkpoint.

Well, it's probably better if they provide a demo, though.
    Or you can just wait until the next Steam seasonal sale.

8. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Ah, that brings me back. Fun game. Though yeah, it was one of the few games using Cg for the shaders. Pretty techdemo and quite fun sometimes.

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just to remind you that SSZ now supports Steam Workshop. ;)
    There's already a Wipeout-like mod and R-Type thing going on.

10. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    I still have 1 25% off discount code left if anyone wants to pick it up cheaply PM me