Anyway to move pagefile to end of drive?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by perparker, Aug 25, 2011.

1. perparker

perparker Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 570
    Anybody knows of a way in windows7 to move the pagefile to the end of a drive? I have several hdds/ssd and i move my pagefile around on the hdds everytime i need to defrag a drive. (using piriform defraggler).
    But the darn windows always put the pagefile in the middle of a newly defragged drive. So when i need to defrag that drive i have to move it to another drive.
    Is there any settings or progam i can use to tell windows to put the pagefile att the END ??

Oh and do anybody know of a better/faster program for lots of of data on big drives? I like defraggler for the most, but when i'm defragging 1-2 tb drives that is almost full, it takes hours upon hours.
    And i'm usualy running it a couple of times to get it tidy. I have tried windows own (realy bad), perfect disk and a couple of others i can't remb.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Why do you defrag your data drives? It maks NO sense.

Why don´t you leave the pagefile on the OS drive? Moving that around makes even less sense.

Storing the pagefile on SSD is you fastest option for using Windows. If you want it on HDD and do not want to defrag it you can make a partition and put the pagefile there. I once tried that in HDD RAID0 but it did not improve anything.

All i can say after reading your post: stop messing with your HDD/SSD drives and let the OS handle data placement.

Windows 7 does automatically defrag all HDD. There is no need to interfere there with 3rd party software.

3. BorTriggerHappy

BorTriggerHappy Master Guru

GPU:
    5870 & GTX 275
    HDD disks are round, they don't have an "end".

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The best place for the PF is at the start of the drive, not the end.
    Anyway I use O&O Defrag v14, you can use it to move the PF bit's not the fastest defragger around...

Or you could just disable the PF completely, problem solved.

5. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I thought pagefile was to be disabled on SSDs.

Well, that's a matter of what angle you look at it from. Oh, and: call them "hard disk drives" instead of "hard disk drives disks."

6. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I use Diskeeper 2011. No matter which of its features are enabled in it, it always runs in the background without ever slowing the system down so even while I'm gaming it continues to do its job on multiple harddisks simultaneously, all thanks to its truly unique InvisiTasking technology. To manually place files (including hard to move system files) I use DiskTrix Ultimate Defrag.

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    You shouldn't be defragging ssds' and you should have the page file on another drive.Defragging is highly over rated with fast ram and fast drives even the mechanical ones.You should also just stick to one utility to defrag as they all use different algorithms to place files on a drive and they may conflict.Just place it on another drive and don't worry about where the difference in speed will be so small that a blink takes longer.

8. perparker

perparker Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 570
    Ofcourse i dont't defrag my ssd.
    (it's a elderly corsair ssd without trim I have been using it for system disk for a couple of years, but it was getting slower. So when i reinstalled i sat it up as a ssd cache using the intel rapid storage with my z68.)

I only have one ssd and four hdds for storage, gaming etc.
    (well actualy 5hdd, but had bad block problems so i sent it back. Waiting for refound or replacement)

I have about 4+tb of data (mostly movies, tv shows, games etc. I ripped all my cds/dvds and don't want to do that work again :). But when watching hd movies i prefer having the files defragged. When it gets to 100+pices it sometimes stops a second )

And to att_user, defrag makes a hell of a difference on my system atleast.
    Windows 7 handles it very poorly.
    Best performance i found out is to have the pagefile on another drive than my system disk.

9. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Yes Defrag does make a difference after a while if you've moved alot of files around or installed/uninstalled alot of things. I always use Auslogics disk defrag for my mechanical drives, nice fast and free and seems to work well.

No clue on the PF though ive never bothered to move it.

10. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    This...

And JKDfrag will allow you to move pagefile.sys to end of disk.

I use JKDefrag with GUI (JkDefragGUI 1.17) **JkDefragGUI is compatible with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2008, Windows 7, U3 capable flash memory and with BartPE pre-installed environment.

11. perparker

perparker Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 570
    Ah thank you. Finaly a proper answer.
    I will check out JKDfrag then.

12. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I have my Windows 7 page file on a dedicated partition on a small dedicated SSD. A hard drive might be faster for writing but almost all pagefile activity is reading. I would not put the pagefile on a mechanical hard drive if you have an SSD in the system.

13. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Remove the pagefile.

i don't have one on any of my machines - never had an issue except for increased RAM usage.

14. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Hence, I recommend Diskeeper 2011 with HyperFast SSD Optimization Technology. :nerd:
    Yeah, I bought another 1.5 TB external yesterday and now I have a total of 8 TB, mostly movies. I'm totally allergic to stuttering movies as well as to waiting until the defrag has finally finished so I wouldn't uninstall Diskeeper even if you paid me the amount of money I spent on my harddisks. lol

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The very inside of the platter (aka next to the spindle) could be thought of as the end of a hard drive. It is the lowest performing area so I'm not sure why you'd want a page file there. Unless he means the other "end".

16. TERRABYTEONE

TERRABYTEONE Guest

GPU:
    32g
    you can disable page file (temp) if you want + defrag drive etc..

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's called MyDefrag now. JKDefrag is ancient.

Using MyDefrag and right script, it will do the job if you boot into windows recovery mode from dvd/cd.