Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 4 (2010-04-15) Add GeForce GTX 480 Over-Voltage!

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Garrett_Wu, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Capture voltage function has nothing to do with your issue. Capture voltage is for some card that can't be adjusted voltage properly, you already can adjust voltage so there's no problem at all. What you encounter is GPU constitution, I mention many times that Afterburner support up 1.3V but not every GPU can hold high voltage, some can hold 1.35V+, some will crash at 1.2V, just like CPU.

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    hmmmm i have not tested myself but whats this i hear adding volts to the 480 does not work on xp?
    its late now i will test later...but if so any hints on getting it to work for xp?

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No hints. I've already mentioned above that voltage control on Fermi series is handled entirely by NVIDIA driver. So if the driver provides support for that - it is working as is, otherwise you're out of luck and nothing can be done to get it working. I've also mentioned that we will not provide low-level driver independent voltage control way for these cards due to the reasons given above. Furthermore, NVIDIA strongly recommended all partners to rely on NVIDIA driver only for voltage control only on Fermi series so the chances to see low-level voltage control implementation are close to zero.

4. Unwinder

1.0v

5. Unwinder

Don't be a lazybone and read the first posting. Allowed voltage adjustment range is provided there.

6. Unwinder

Guys, I've created really tiny test application allowing you to see the status of NVIDIA driver's voltage control interfaces. It can verify if NVIDIA voltage control API is functioning properly and it can display full set of voltages supported by NVIDIA driver as well as show currently selected voltages for 2D and 3D modes. So it would be interesting to see the report captured with this application on XP systems (where NVIDIA presumable don't support voltage control of Fermi) and on 470 systems.

http://files.guru3d.info/guru3d/rivatuner/NVAPITestVC6.rar

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok i'm game.... will report back.
    if a few want to report back before me(this evening) it would be nice too.
    edit*
    i tried to get the word out at xs so we can can some reports for you.

8. Unwinder

My old good friend Fiery (Everest dude) just captured the report on GTX 470 sample:

http://www.lavalys.hu/tamas/gtx470_volt.gif

As you can see, official NVIDIA's voltage adjustment range for this card is 0.825 - 1.087V. So I guess that we'll provide 0.825 - 0.1075 range in Afterburner for these cards.

9. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Unwinder, it would be handy for the guys who use hot keys and run with Afterburner minimised in the task bar (like me.) if there was some kind of indication from the minimised icon when a hot key press was actioned.

Keep up the good work by the way!!

10. Unwinder

Good news, beta 5 with GTX 470 voltage adjustment support has been sent to MSI a few minutes ago. So it will be unploaded soon (probably just on Monday, as I'm not sure if Garrett is working on weekends). The range for this model is 0.825V-1.087V (that's full range supported by curently available NVIDIA BIOS and drivers). I've also extended GTX 480 voltage range a bit and shifted the limits to 0.825V-1.138V (absolute maximum of NVIDIA BIOS and driver).

11. dd-jerm

dd-jerm New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Hey guys...love this tool!!

Is the maximum GPU/Shader set by the Nvidia drivers? Currently the slider maxes out at 913/1826. I'd love to see a 1000/2000 or more. So far on water and 1.025V all the GPU/Memory is at max settings.

Thanks again!

12. meds

meds Guest

GPU:
    Thanks Unwinder!
    [​IMG]

13. Unwinder

The slider limits are defined by MSI hardware database personally for each graphics card model. Currently it is 130% (in reference to default clock) for Fermi series, but I think that we will tweak it to 150% in the final build. That should be both safe and enough for agressive overclocking.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Jeremy, i just told you this by email ;)

15. dd-jerm

dd-jerm New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    lol I know...I posted before I even asked you! Thanks guys 150% would be more than enough!

[​IMG]

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    does this help me get closer to my goal of ab adding volts on xp for the 480?
    [​IMG]

17. Unwinder

From this report I'd say that it should work as is. P-state and voltage tables look absolutely valid, so unless there is some internal bug in XP driver, it should work. What's happening when you're trying to change voltage under XP?

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i'd say your right,it works!
    wtf? who was the guy who said it dont work??? he must have been half asleep.
    works on both cards....thanks again you sooooo da man my man :)
    i'm sry to waste your time

19. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Cowie - I see u got yourself a pair of 480s there m8. Nicely done. Looking forward too seeing some benchies from ya!

20. Unwinder

Also, I've just noticed that your voltage is set to 1.05V for performance 3D and low-power 3D states. Is that your default voltage? That's werid, because my sample is set to 1.0V by default. If there are differently volted GF100 chips on different cards, that could explain why some users are reporting that GF100 is HOT and others claim that it is never reaching 80C for them.