Windows starts up when SATA is changed from AHCI to IDE?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by death_samurai, Dec 1, 2012.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    So i posted the BSOD problem i have here.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371735

I d/l some software that helps to repair the windows start up files and i replace them. Yet everytime i star up the pc it BSODs again and again with that error msg shown. It doesn't start up in safe mode too.

I tried everything and decided to change it from ahci to ide mode in bios.

Surprisingly it starts up. Yet it seems that my old desktop is gone and i am now presented with a new desktop even though my windows user account is still the same. Anyway it tells me that my copy of windows isn't geniune. It figures that when i used the software to replace the start up files it must have deleted my log on information. That's not a problem at all very easy to solve.

Anyway it seems that all the old stuff on my desktop, links to programs, pictures and some files are gone probably somewhere on the hdd. It seems like even though all my programs are still installed on the pc and there was no reinstallation of any drivers at all or video codecs it seems like windows is sort of behaving like a newly installed pc.

This is of course really really odd to me. I mean i couldn't even log into windows on ahci mode and it kept on BSODing and when i change to ide mode i can finally log into windows and post stuff on the net but it behaves like a new pc.

Prior to this problem happening i only updated my divx software and installed some new program that helps to identify video files and in which i have already deleted so i'm not really sure what's causing the BSOD and the inability to log in while on ahci mode. The picture showing the BSOD error is in the link i have given.

Anyone knows why my pc behaves like this?

2. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Maybe something has changed your windows registry in relation to AHCI mode.
    You could try setting the registry key for AHCI, reboot into bios and enable AHCI mode.
    Reboot and see if it boots up as it use to.
    For info on the registry key to set for AHCI: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

As for the non genuine windows I gather because the boot loader for windows and the 100MB reserve partition path could have been changed or activation information been fooled with on that partition.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Press F8 and select the setting which says something like last known good config. After you successfully log on to windows restore it to a time before the problem started.

TBH, divx codecs have given me the same problem as yours, so i just reformatted my pc and stopped using them. On a side note, the divx codecs cannot be uninstalled and updated.

4. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I can't see why anyone would install Divx codec in general.
    Since it's a pay for product.
    There are multiple legit ways to encode and decode divx format.
    FFdshow/Xvid can decode/encode to and from compliant divx format.
    Unless your encoding video for a device that only supports divx format, then I'd opt for a free alternative codec and use a better format to encode to.
    eg: H/X.264
    At least the legit free solutions don't crap all over your system, they are updated regularly and do a great job in general.
    Lost interest in Divx the day it became a piece of pay for crapware.
    Certain media package encoders/decoders I just won't use no matter what they offer.
    eg: divx, quicktime, real or any other Trade Mark product...
    I'd rather go without then depend or rely on these pay for solutions for my encoding/playback needs.
    It's not that the TM codecs aren't a good quality, it's the bundled phone home locked down drm crapware that they come with that turns me off.

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    0xF4 is usually a hardware and\or driver error. From the sounds of it you have a corrupt Windows installation, possibly driver related... be a guess anyway, whatever’s wrong with it isn’t normal.

I wouldn’t bother dick’n around with that Windows install, after I ruled faulty hardware; I’d install a spare drive and a fresh install. I’m sick enough I’d likely check event logs after each driver install and reboot.

I’m sure you likely already know, but Process Explorer and AutoRuns can give some insight to what’s going on.

Edit: Just noticed, are you at 5ghz? Any issues at stock?

6. Zulithe

Zulithe New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX570 SC 1280MB
    The whole AHCI/IDE thing has been a huge pain in the ass for me. I finally just ended up re-installing Windows 8 fresh with the drive set to AHCI and that solved everything. Yes, I tried the whole registery editing trick... PC would NOT boot! I seriously think it is a BIOS issue as I still can't get my blu-ray drive to work at all, even if I put it on a SATA port where the controller is set to IDE. I just give up. Hopefully new haswell motherboard next year will fix all my woes.

7. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    thanks guys i spent the entire of last night fixing and checking **** up. To cut a long story short i stuck a piece of non sticky tape unto the software boot up cd and you know it came off and got stuck inside the dvd rom so i actually unscrewed it and removed some of the electonic stuff inside the dvd rom to take out the tape in which i succeeded but somehow the dvd rom doesn't work as before and actually read the cd so i said screw it it's a good reason for me to update this old dvd rom to a new blu ray player and i had to remove my ssd to be read on my other pc which has a dvd rom using the old cable ribbon cable which my new mobo doesn't have the attachments for it.

I also discovered that one of my ram slots doesn't seem to be able to work since it cannot detect any ram installed when i slot one of my ram sticks on it. How cool is that discovering crap like that huh? In short when i wrote the 1st post in this thread it was like 7 or 8am already and then i just went to bed.

Thanks for suggesting that i read thru the logs in which i'll do. Since i'm not a pc expert i don't think i would know what caused the bsod and how to fix that and i have a nagging feeling i will actually need to reinstall windows again for it to work on ahci mode and everything that's what i feel will happen.

8. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Dude divx is free isn't it? I wouldn't pay for it if it told me to pay. Anyway the divx codec has already been installed on my pc for a long time without it i don't think i can watch certain videos. Anyway i'm using my video encoder to reecode some of my vids in mkv, mp4 format into avi with divx so that i can watch them on my player downstairs as you know those damn dvd players can only play a small number of video codecs. When i was using my video encoder software it suddenly activated the divx software i think. DIvx software switched on and informed me that it's outdated and needs to update and i usually update all my software on my pc, apps on my iphone and android standard procedure and i suppose the newly update divx software probably caused some problems on my pc.

9. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Free sort of, but it's a pay for product for commercial use.
    http://www.divx.com/en/partner/software-licensing/volume

As for needing Divx codec to watch/encode divx movies, bah humbug.
    FFdshow filter can display divx along with just about every other format you can think of.
    Combine it with avisynth and there's plenty of legit free use programs out there you can encode any format without the need for a trillion different codecs screwing over your system.
    As I said earlier divx, qt, rm, wmv and many other proprietary codecs are impressive, it's the closed source crapware drm need our whole package bs I dislike.
    But with that said they are necessary evil that without we probably wouldn't have a standard so that many current devices can play universal media formats.

If your DVD player supports Divx format then use VirtualDub/Xvid to encode divx format for it.
    Both are legit free no bloat or phone home checking.
    If your after something free and simple to convert from any format to divx, then maybe WinFF or there are many others as well.
    None of which require you to install the divx codec.
    I did use to use my old stand alone DVD player a couple of years back to do the same thing as your saying.
    My dvd player supported Divx 6, but just about any avi format worked as long as I flagged the video fourcc as Divx and I didn't use high bitrates.
    Never did I install the divx codec to do so...lol

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The DivX codec is free.

@DeathSamurai- Do you have an SSD and if so which one and what firmware version?

11. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    OK i find out that it's just a temporary profile that i can log unto. That's why everytime i restart and log in everything goes back to new and nothing is saved.

I searched online and found out that my old profile has a .bak on it. I rename it according to the instructions and log off and log back in and am still logged unto the temp profile.

It seems like i would need to reinstall windows 7 to truly fix this or restore it to a much earlier time. Sadly i have not backed up my OS in a very long time so the OS that i am restoring it to will have quite a number of stuff missing. I'm going to have to copy stuff on my browser to make sure i don't lose the links and stuff etc. I think i'll start a new thread on this.

12. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Maybe its your 5GHz overclock starting to fail.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Divx isn't a format, it's merely an encoder/decoder for the h263 format. The very same format that xvid encodes to. Haven't looked at Divx for a long time and I'm not going to look it up, but they were also trying to get into h264 as well (albeit late). but kind of lost out to other h264 encoders like x264 which now has a commercial license available.

To playback h263 or any other content, it's really best not to use individual things like Divx, try the latest MPC-HC (once set up it's the best media player for Windows) or even VLC player. You can use FFDShow also. To encode, x264 is the best h264 encoder, and if you must still use the deprecated h263 format, use Xvid.

14. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Nope i switched it back to stock speed even switched my ram speed down to 1600mhz