Strange BSOD's pointing to "ATIKMDAG.sys"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cdlink14, May 3, 2012.

1. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    bear in mind that, when it comes to memory timings, higher values (looser values) are slower and easier to run than lower timings.

So you weren't actually playing a game when it crashed? It seems like a lot of your crashed are happening when the PC is not under load.

2. cdlink14

cdlink14 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    That's what I said a while ago, they only happen when hardly any load is applied.

Today I got a bit annoyed I decided to up the volt to my northbridge to see if that would help and after a while I noticed a burning smell. I decided to shut down instantly and began taking every thing I could on the PC into pieces and giving it a good thorough cleaning.

I was surprised when I saw that the GPU thermal paste was dried out and had random patches which actually had no compound covering it. I ran to the computer shop around the corner I managed to slide in just as the shutter was coming down, and bought myself some cheap-ish TC for now. Applied it and my temps have dropped a bit more.

keep in mind I de-dusted the GPU a few days ago, here's my results with Furmark for 2 hours after each step:

Full of dust: 86C max
    De-dusted: 74C max
    Reapplied TC: 62C max

Anyone else think this may cure my problem? I have a slight suspicion the GPU may of just shut off from confusion as before I changed the TC there was so little it was literally 50% TC, 50% exposed.