Weird 5 second freeze in games(Magician 4.4)

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by IceVip, Jul 4, 2014.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I can't help but notice that after installing the new Samsung Magician 4.4
    two major things have happened.
    First one is this - http://i2.minus.com/ifQwxzvF4gVjY.png
    Those speeds are so unrealistic but for some reason other programs
    can actually confirm that the speeds are really that high.. idk what
    the hell is going on with that but i don't see a big difference overall.

Second thing is that after i applied this update, for some reason my games
    started acting really weird. for example dota 2, it freezes for 5 seconds
    and then it continues, that has happened twice now, Chivalry did the same
    thing today, but battlefield 4 freezes and then just "stopped working"
    that usually happens after 20 minutes of gameplay, now i should mention
    that all of the games are on my HDD, i have only my windows on the SSD
    and this can kinda break the logic to why i think the ssd's software is faulty
    but i haven't installed anything else except the magician 4.4 since this
    started happening, no drivers or anything... So that kinda makes no
    sense right now.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Im not sure how you went about installing the newer update, but i fully uninstalled the program first, possibly ran cc cleaner, rebooted, then installed the newer version....sometimes things work better if fully uninstalled first and then installing the newer version...aside from the massive speed increase i have yet to notice any issues yet.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I will do some thorough testing in bf4 tonight and give you a follow up if i can find any issues on my end

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  3. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    For me usually now it crashes after the second map, never happened before the update.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Try changing power/sata cables.

5. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    I've got the same recorded speeds even on my Marvell 9123 5Gb/s interface. Seems quite fast.

However, I was getting complete PC freezes which were unrecoverable and these started with Nvidia driver 337.50 beta and continued with 337.88 WHQL. I haven't tried 340.43 but there is something conflicting with Nvidia's new driver architecture on my system and the few replies on the Nvidia forum which seemed to mirror my issue had a Samsung SSD included in the signature spec.
    I just wonder if it's a conflict with the Samsung RAM caching technique.

You could try driver 335.23 WHQL which was the last before they 'optimised' the CPU/GPU driver coding and see if your issue persists...

6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I'm not with nvidia and the issue came on the date the update for magician came, 7/1/2014, i remember that's the date my battlefield 4 started crashing i got logs of how I left every second game because of the freeze(starting on that date). It has nothing to do with the gpu driver for me, its the magician I'm sure of it, tho
    i uninstalled it and installed it again, ill see if that fixes it fo me.

7. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    Neither you are. I was daft not to check your signature. Hope you find the cause though. I'm not getting any freezes if it's of any help...

I did do a clean install with reboots

8. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    tested bf4 on my end...all went fine...must be a bug specific to your system...were using pretty much the same video card and im using the newest amd whql's 14.4 for what its worth

9. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I can confirm the speed increases with Magician 4.4. One thing I noticed is if you have multiple Samsung SSD's they all have speed increases with this new Magician, though not as great as the one you enable the RAPID feature. :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  10. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Is Magician running in back ground?
    If yes disable it. It's not needed other than to run initial configuration.

11. BadDriver

BadDriver Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G
    I have a problem with the latest version 4.4 with Rapid mode i get a error:

Fatal error occured during last RAPID Mode enable cycle.

I have send Samsung a email about this problem.

[​IMG]

Version 4.3 works ok.

12. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    well, i may have spoke to soon....i did encounter a weird glitch tonight while playing bf4. I did finally correct it self but it was something i have never had happen before. I will report back if it happens again.....but it was like a terrible stutter that lasted for about 30 seconds, and it happened while i was flying a scout, so you can imagine it sucked hard.....ended up dying try to land it....could very well be related to the issues you had discovered

13. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    No problems with this update.Better to disable Rapid Mode, restart, uninstall old version, restart, run ccleaner, restart, manually check system for leftover folders/reg entries, install new version, restart, enable rapid mode, restart.Works just as good as 4.3, browsing in windows may be a bit snappier but could be placebo.Also set my os optimization for max reliability instead of manual.I'm on Win7 SP1 x64.

14. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    what you described is my default way of doing upgrades...can you test bf4 to see if all is ok on your end?

15. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Nope sorry, I never bought it.I'm playing some older titles atm and they run fine, benchmarks too.Pretty sure someone else will be glad to help.

16. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    So i actually did this:
    And i have not encountered any 5 second freezes, i should mention i had them only on valve games, csgo/dota 2, battlefield doesn't count because it crashed there after the freeze.

17. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    well i did more testing....and honestly i haven't encountered any more glitches....starting to look like you have possibly an app on your pc thats giving it trouble...not sure what to make of it.....i have heard it uses much more ram cached....possibly using to much for your pc...definitely worth looking into doing restore from a good system image or even a new install......really just throwing ideas out there...god luck in getting it worked out...guess if all else you can go back to the older version.....not like the new one truly makes it faster cause in reality it just shows higher benchmarks....and we know that doesn't really mean its faster...more like bragging rights is all

18. joey79

joey79 Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
    So the insane speeds are the result of enabling RAPID mode in Magician.
    The errors and freezes you see may be one result of enabling RAPID but there can be more reasons.
    From my experience, the AMD Chipsets are more likely to cause problems with Magician. Mostly because of the driver. You may try to switch from AMD AHCI driver to msahci. Just google, there are lots of guides.
    Another thing is the so called "optimisation" from Magician. The theory is very good, but it does not work properly on every System/Hardware configuration.
    And keep in mind, optimisation settings and RAPID are also running, if Magician don't. RAPID will run as System service.
    If nothing else is working you may want to reinstall your OS and keep away from Magician software.
    I just backed up my system and will try the 4.4 Magician myself and see, if I can find something.

19. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I will enable rapid mode and play bf4 and report back.