Radeon HD 6900: black vertical lines in videogame

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Leguan, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Leguan

Leguan Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6950 2g ram
    [​IMG]

Hello,

I got a problem with my graphics ingame in Battlefield 3. From time to time I get a gridlike overlay. It is important to know that it ONLY happens in BF3 - not in videos, not on desktop and not in any other game I play - only in BF3.

Around 70% of the time I dont have that, but if I move around from time to time it appears. The special thing about it is, that it isnt attached to a special texture.

Lets take a look at the picture - if I would take the look away from the exit in the picture the grid would move with my view . If I would look to the right, the grid would move with my view. Thats why I call it a "overlay".

This grid only disappears if I would completly move away a view meters. There seems to be several spots in the different levels which cause this affect. If I would move to such a spot the grid would appear again.

I dont know what thats causes that, but only that it happens on every map in single and multiplayer. 60-70% my graphics are normal and 30-40% I play with this grid overlay. But to make it clear: This happens on ALL maps/levels everytime.

Things I did to solve to problem (which didnt help):

- installed new graphic drivers, even older versions - for that I deinstalled them and cleared the registry and data with a datasweeper program before I installed the new drivers

- updated my motherboard drivers

- tried every graphic solution and graphic setting ingame from everything from low to ultra

- activated and deactivated every feature ingame (vsync, multisampling, AA, colourblind mode ect.)

- activated and deactivated every feature of my Atidriver programm in Windows (AA, tripplebuffering ect.)

- reinstalled Directx 11

- checked the temperature of my graphiccard (around 65-70C° which is totaly normal)

- checked if my graphiccard is overclocked (it isnt)

- checked several other games if the problem with the grid overlay appears (Skyrim, Orcs must die, Mount and Blade Warband) - it only appears in Bf3

-reinstalled the game

I found nobody which has this specific problem, only people with screen tearing, black or green graphic glitches - but no one with this grid overlay.

Thanks in advance

2. TheBlueberry

TheBlueberry Guest

GPU:
    Corsair Dominator DDR26GB
    You didnt say What OS you are using.
    You didnt say what video card except 6900.

Since it only happens in BF3, one thing you might look at if you are using Windows 7 is to right click on the BF3 EXE file and check if its in a compatibility mode. Uncheck if it is. The last patch my BF3 somehow went into XP compatability mode.

It looks like you did the foot work. What data wipe program did you use? Driver sweeper?

BF3 is direct x, so,,,,,,,it appears to be game specific.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    methinks this proves it's not the hardware fault:

the grid would move with my view . If I would look to the right, the grid would move with my view.

4. Leguan

Leguan Guest

GPU:
    Hello,

thanks for your replies.

I'm using Win7 too and I got the AMD Radeon HD 6950 with 2g ram. I took a look at the BF3.exe but the compatibility mode was unchecked.

I always use "Driver sweeper" and "CCleaner" when I'm unistalling drivers. In normal and in windows safe mode.

Yesterday I flashed my Bios to the newest version and tried new Ati beta drivers - both didnt help.

I'm by no means a power user, but I know a little bit about computers. Right now I tried every trick in the book I know of - without a result.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Copy your opening post and send it to EA, AMD, and your gfx card manufacturer.

Other then that try switching your card with another one and/or check your gfx card in your friend's PC.

6. Leguan

Leguan Guest

GPU:
    I allready send a e-mail to the EA support describing my problems - they couldnt help. I think it wouldnt hurt to send it to AMD too.

But everytime I got a problem with Windows, other programs, hardware ect. ALWAYS I got better support/help (read: more helpful, competent, faster) from private users in forum like this one, than from the big companys which sell the products I got problems with.

I think my problem lies in a special combination between my hardware and BF3, because I only have the problem in this game - no where else.

My main concern is that it seems nobody else got this special problems. I googled different variations of my problem and no one has this one.

7. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    It looks like bad video ram but that would not seem true if as you said it only happens in one game. And as you said your card is not overheating. Sorry I can't be of help the only time I have seen this kind of problem has been with bad Video Ram but that would show up in more than just one game.

8. Leguan

Leguan Guest

GPU:
    So now I know at least what causes the problem and I found a workaround. I wanted to share it with you, so that someone else got this problem they know what to do.

It's not really a fix but a workaround because you have to disable the "directx 11 compute shader". To be honest I dont even know what this just that its "makes my game prettier" - maybe someone can enlighten me, if disabling this is a bad idea and what it actually does. It seems it improves the quality of lights and fog.

So regarding the workaround:
    I found this programm on a BF3 Fanside.
    http://bf3.realmware.co.uk/settings-editor/downloads

With this you can choose your BF3 settings in Windows and can make some extra graphical tweaks. Under the console command tab I unchecked "DX Deferred CS Path" - which disables the feature I talked of - that fixed my problem.

PS: Is my Graphiccard perhaps damaged? As I said I have no problems with other games, but perhaps they just dont support that said feature - I'am talking about Skyrim, Crysis2, Orcs must die.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012