softmod 5900xt to quadro3000£¬ seems im the luck one

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by rui0317, Jun 8, 2004.

1. NxCPU

NxCPU Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3870 1GB GDDR4
    OK now I understand it is the other way round.
    Unika does not manufacture the cards, but Albatron and Palit.

And yes the Unika 5918FXL failed, my mistake.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  2. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    dang, now that Nvstrap works on the 6x.xx drivers, i tried to find the strings containing 8B C8 B8 00 00 01 in these drivers to make a SQ4 patch and see, whether 6x.xx are still protected. I was hoping for a protection hole like there was one with the 43.xx - 45.xx drivers, but the string 8B C8 B8 00 00 01 is completely GONE form these drivers!! :eek:
    Seems NV did some HUGE changes

3. augie

augie Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GT @ 630MHz
    Really? Sweet... A hardmoded card should work with those drivers then, right? Hmm... the possibilities...

A

4. djiemsi

djiemsi Guest

My configuration
    CPU:
    P4C (Northwood) 2.8Ghz@3.2Ghz (FSB @ 229 Mhz)
    XP Pro
    Mobo:
    MSI 865PE Neo2
    RAM:
    2GB DDR PC3200 (3-3-3-8)
    Video:
    MSI 5900XT (128MB @ 2.8ns) softmodded to QuadroFX3000 with 45.28/RivaTuner2RC15/SoftQuad4/NVStrap (core:432/ram:786)
    Storage:
    2xWD 80GB 7200 rpm ATA100
    Audio:
    SB Live 5.1!

Run All Summary

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 24.95

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
    drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 143.4

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
    dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 129.1

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 27.57

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 40.66

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 46.21

(Vsync was off)

Why did I get a hudge score for ugs-03 in comparision of a lot of people here ?? It's cool, but I don't understand why everybody don't have the same kind of score :eek:

Do I have to enable 16x AA or Vsync ?

5. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    djiemsi, are you blind, this thread here is EXACTLY about this, about high ugs on SPECIFIC FX5900XT cards. Your question is EXACTLY described here in this thread, so are you posting wild around without reading?

6. rui0317

rui0317 Master Guru

GPU:
    5900XT to QuadroFX3000
    augie will interest in this ....

7. NxCPU

NxCPU Active Member

GPU:
    I'm probably far off (again), but maybe they are also dumping NV35GL GPUs now the NV40 is here, and not just the NV35 GPUs.
    (This holds only if there is a real difference between the two (NV35 and NV35GL) ofcourse.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the rest of the world probably.;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  8. augie

augie Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GT @ 630MHz
    You, my friend, have a SUCCESSFUL quadro mod! And with an MSI board to boot! This is exactly the question we are trying to decipher.

If you would, please download X-bios at http://www.3dchipset.com/bios/nvidia/flash/xbios520.php and post your bios information here. (Run it, click the arrow next to "open", and select "read from memory")
    This will help us determine what cards are TRUE-QFX capable.

Could you post it in a format somethig like this?

---
    MSI FX5900XT-VTD128 128MB/2.8NS

Device ID 0332

Vesa Product Name: NV35 p177h-4n
    BIOS Version: 4.35.20.38.00

Signon message:
    GeForce FX 5900XT VGA BIOS
    MSIN8937MS.231
    --------

So far that's TWO MSI boards that have succeeded and one that failed. There MUST be differences....

I have been able to find 2 SLIGHTLY different MSI cards on the web. Here is a picture.

[​IMG]

Notice the slight difference? May mean nothing at all, but who knows. Also, the VIVO chip looks to be a different brand.

Anyway, can you look at this chart below and look at your MSI card and tell me how each part corresponds?

[​IMG]

Sorry about the size guys!

Looking back in the thread, both versions of the Quadro FX3000 you guys posted pictures of had A, B3, C2, D1. In fact, I don't see a single card that has succeeded with C2. All of them have been C, (unless djiemsi's and FyNi's are C2, but I have not confirmed yet.)

I'm no electrical engineer, so this may all be stupid, but at this point I'm grasping at anything I can find.

Augie

9. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    @augie

edit: i thought your bro's card didn't succeed, although it is C?

10. augie

augie Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GT @ 630MHz
    Edit-
    My bros is C... Rui's card is C2, and so are the gainwards that succeed AFAIK (just the picture on the chinese website, http://www.hardsalon.com/2004/3-31/102411.html I haven't asked a Gainward owner to check their card.) I'm pretty sure all that were successful were C2, except I do not know about the 2 MSI cards yet.
    Edit-

I don't know what that little oval shaped canister thing is, but my bro's card has it. Now I have no idea if the canister is the cause of it, but what it tells me is that they are making more than one revision. So I assume there could be other differences we can't see.

[edit 1st pic I posted:]
    Oops, I realized I labeled the top picture with A's instead of C's... I'll fix that

11. Leonid

Leonid Active Member

pic. A,A2,C2 - place quartz resonator for VIVO chip
    pic A2(sq. chip blue) - DVI chip
    pic D1 - 3 chips of dual MOSFET for voltage reg.
    pic D2 - 2 - single MOSFET for voltage reg.

No Quadro specific components on pictures.
    Need search differences 10k resistors placing

12. augie

augie Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GT @ 630MHz
    R2? What does that refer to? You mean C2? If C is a quartz resonator for VIVO, I don't understand why one MSI card has it but the other doesn't. They're both VIVO cards. But that would make sense for quadros.

Hmm... Well, I could get my bro to send me high res pics of his card, but I don't know if the others with working MSI cards would be up for that...

The mystery deepens...

13. Leonid

Leonid Active Member

auqie
    Yes R2 read as C2 (edited)

14. Wesayso

Wesayso Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 8440 Geforce 4 Ti 4400
    I've been reading this thread for a while to get the picture so I can buy me a 5900XT but you could be right on the money there, it could just be the difference in the core used...

If this line of cards is to get rid of these GPU cores, they might as well use the quadro GPU core as well...

I hope it doesn't work that way, maybe Augie is on to something but it would make sense...

What if; quadro GPU core and geforce GPU core only differ in the AA line department and both are beeing used to get rid of the NV35 GPU's in fabricating the 5900XT line...
    There will be no way of telling wich card would act like a quadro if that is true

15. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    Hmm- guys, but if the difference is only the core, WHY only on XT cards? This doesn't make sense...;)

16. NxCPU

NxCPU Active Member

GPU:
    Without wanting to sound paranoid, but maybe because they are watching guru3d's forum (and others) and noticing that people mostly try to softmod GF FX 5900(U)/5950(U) (not XTs) ?
    Or, after all who would buy an GF FX 5900XT, if everybody knows the word is that Quadro FX 3000 is based on the non-5900XT models.
    Can you remember how surprised and excited rui0317 was ?

17. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    ye NxCPU, you're right, THAT was paranoid! :p

cheers m8! :D

18. NxCPU

NxCPU Active Member

GPU:
    Hey, I was just guessing. It's only hypothetical.

Pleasure.

19. augie

augie Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GT @ 630MHz
    I was asking about the hardmod on HSXD forum, Rui told me people are doing hardmodded 5900 and 5900xt's and getting high UGS scores. So you mean shipping XT's with the resistors moved <-- (like a quaro)?

Hmm... if one of the successful XT users pulled of his heatsink...

Augie

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  20. NxCPU

NxCPU Active Member

GPU:
    At 1.1 there's mention of a "modification" of the NV35 graphics core.
    But at 1.3 the writer states "The chip doesn’t differ at all, save for its marking (the letters “XT” are written in the top right corner of the protective cover/heatsink)."
    So NVidia added the the letters "XT" afterwards, when it started dumping. But would they be so silly to leave the marking NV35GL and just add "XT", or not at all ?

"if one of the successful XT users pulled of his heatsink...".
    Yes augie, I hope this too.
    But on the other hand, I hope they don't.
    Because it's too risky, and I want them to enjoy their luck as long as possible.
    Also, if they do find NV35GL GPUs under their HSF, we have a worlwide lottery.
    But then we would at least know.

Also the information about the PCB design at 1.3 is interesting.
    But I'm undecided if it helps, or raises more questions.
    Let's disregard the Device ID resistors for the moment.
    Geforce FX 5900XT and Quadro FX 700 both have this same "simpler and cheaper PCB design".
    Geforce FX 5900 and Quadro FX 3000 seem to share a similar PCB design between them. (Let's call it reference ?)
    But Geforce FX 5900XT (simpler PCB), Geforce FX 5900 (reference PCB) can both be softmodded into Quadro FX 3000 (reference PCB).
    Also, if the Quadro FX 700 has a NV35GL GPU on board (high ugs-03 score) as mentioned earlier in this thread, this would prove that the NV35GL GPU is able to run on the simpler PCB design.

It looks like the NV35GL GPU works on both the simpler PCB (Quadro FX 700, GF FX 5900XT with high ugs-03 score) and reference PCB (Quadro FX 3000).
    The only cases where we have a low ugs-03 score after softmodding are GF FX 5900XT and GF FX 5900 with NV35 ?

It looks like the PCB design doesn't matter. (Excluding the Device ID resistors.)

Would the successful softmodders, be able to softmod their Geforce FX 5900XT into a Quadro FX 700 (with high ugs-03 score) ?
    I didn't ask.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004