GTX 780 or GTX 770? Or change camp?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MwR, Jul 18, 2013.

1. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    This is getting hard to decide...for a birthday gift to myself, what'd gives more bang for the buck, a GTX 780 or GTX 770, especially upgrading from a GTX 670?

Or whether the Radeon camp have good contender these days?

Since my mobo only takes crossfire so please leave the SLi suggestion at the door...

In terms of pricing, if taking the 780 that'd mean a delay on getting that Silverstone TD03 by 4 months - just push it to Christmas time I think - but still, reading that the 780 and 770 benchmarks cut pretty close, I still want to know if the 780 going to be too much an overkill in my case:

1. I've one 27" IPS 1080p monitor, unlikely to add another one in the foreseeable future - some says if you got IPS monitor, get 780 instead;
    2. Play pretty graphic heavy games, addicted to nice graphics and want to anticipate for Battlefield 4;

Or should I wait a bit for the 4GB version of 770 later this year?

Decisions decisions...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Your only *worthwhile* upgrade from the 670 is the 780. That is, if it's worthwhile to you.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, don't bother even thinking about the gtx 770, it's not a worthy upgrade. gtx 780 would be, just about, but then the bang for buck is pretty bad. AMD will be releasing new 9xxx series around October time, I would wait what comes of that if I'm honest.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Depends on what you expect an upgrade to be. Me personally I will not upgrade till I can get double the performance of my current. Currently there is no single gpu that is double the performance of a 670. Even the 780 is not a worthy upgrade ATM for me.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Id say hold out for 800 Series.

I will...

6. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    There's always something new coming out just around the corner (AMD supposedly releasing their HD 9970 in a few months and Nvidia with its GTX 880 next year)

The GTX 780 is a great card, but probably not worth it for everyone who already owns a GTX670/GTX680/HD7970.

Maybe just replace your motherboard with one that supports SLi and get another GTX 670...

7. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    Because I only did a major upgrade (CPU + mobo + RAM + an extra 2TB HDD ) to my current spec in May, so that is quite out of the question now...

By card wise, if I rock up to GTX 780 I can be good and dandy for 2 years before upgarde to another one, right?

8. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    I major upgraded my rig about the same time I got the standard 2gb 770 for 1080p gaming but I upgraded from a 560ti so it was worth it too me till Maxwell and then I'll sell this and give up another 150$ and I'll be good for abit.

I'm assuming that you've oc'd your 670 so I'd say you should wait till the 9000 series Radeon those cards should be great for bf4, or wait a bit and get Maxwell.

My 770 gets good benchmarks pretty much the performance you see from all the reviews found on the web, I can get 60fps on far cry 3 with only shadows turned down to medium and aa to 2x idk if the extra 2gb on the vram woulda helped maybe have me alil more head room on mods and maybe more aa but 2x was good enough and turning down the shadows wasn't a killer either. I haven't tested the card extensively yet since I've been working but this weekend I'll give it a full review.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You should already be good and dandy with what you've got. Why you wanna upgrade again so soon when your card is still current gen?

If money is burning a hole on your pocket buy an SSD instead.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Are you not satisfied with your GTX 670 on current games?

Or is it that you're just itching to upgrade for games that aren't out yet?

If the latter, it's better to just wait until those games are released. Who knows they may perform great on your GTX 670 (If not then upgrade).

BF4 will likely be the most demanding game that I'll play for the next 2 years and I'm confident it will run it at 1080p ultra settings just fine.

11. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Well I can see why got a 780sc huh you'll be really fine and dandy. The 670 should be ok till next year unless you don't wanna sacrifice certain settings. Just wait till Oct and get a Radeon I if not wait till Maxwell. The 770 is a nice card but def not a real upgrade for u the 780 is a bit pricy right now I think Radeon will have competitive prices and it'll give better performance for bf4.

I'm a green guy myself though love me some physics bit out of raw gpu power red team is good.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm still trying to use my 8800GTX for PhysX in Metro with no luck....

13. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    good and dandy.
    [​IMG]

14. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    Not exactly "burning a hole", but neither am I the kind that can spend on a quad-SLi rig without blinking an eye...and BTW I already got a SSD for my OS drive.

It's just that I can't decide on whether to play this arms race by getting a new medium-high card (GTX 770) every 18 months or go hard on getting a high-end (GTX 780) and don't bother about it for the next 2.5 years?

Hmm, that's the 70% reason I'd admit, because I want to get the most out of Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and Company of Heroes 2, right now the GTX 670 have to scale back on the settings to keep the graphics smooth.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Idk about Tomb Raider or COH, but no single GPU will max out Crysis3. It completely sucks btw all visual no story or gameplay - def not worth upgrading GPU for.

16. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    Well Crysis 3 just an example to benchmark hardware with...

But if GTX 770 Lightning can meet my goal I'm equally content to settle for that...or does that mean for GTX 770 I should be looking for those factory-OC'ed ones with good heatsink?

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Do not buy any 770. It is an awful upgrade from a 670. Tbh there are 4gb 770 out right now. You sure your mb does not support sli? If it does grab another 670 or sell it and buy a 780

18. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    I agree and the lightning is not all that great comes highest in oc but most of the 770s over clock about the same so a regular msi gaming will be fine I got gigabyte because the factory oc and the to try the wind force which is very silent even at 80% fan and typical temps 38c max oc and under load it's mostly 61c but can reach 76c after an hour of far cry 3.

Good and dandy photo thumbs up lol

19. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Focus on games you play and plan to stick with, not interactive benchmarks like Crysis 3.

Anyways, seeing as your motherboard doesn't support SLi I wouldn't recommend anything less than a GTX 780...

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I would say the exact opposite replace the entry level motherboard the OP has with at least the ASRock Z77 extreme4 and get another 670 it will cost less total that the 780 and OP WILL have more performance.