A tribute to the best looking game ever - Crysis

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TDurden, May 18, 2017.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I remember reading an interview a year or so after release and the contempt he had was obvious.

Yeah I actually bought it for the 360, £15 and played about 30 mins, but was meaning for the PC.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It would be interesting on PC. I personally would like the chance to play the original Crysis with the Nanosuit from Crysis 2.
    I like the upgrade system in place, and how it lets you really tweak the suit to your playstyle.

Like, replaying the game right now. I just entered the fourth level... and I'm enjoying myself. And really trying to make as much use of the suit as possible.
    But, at times, it just feels more fitting to just go in guns blazing and clean them out instead of trying to be creative with your powers.
    Mostly because, as this "ultra awesome super suit"... it feels pretty underwhelming. I mean, in armor mode... you can be killed with only a couple shotgun blasts. My super suit is just as strong as Jack's floral shirt in FarCry.

But... Crysis on CE3 on PC, that could be cool. It'll never happen, but would be nice to think about.
    Sort of like how Ubisoft did the Special Edition of FarCry a few years back for PS3 and 360. Never saw a PC release.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

4. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it doesn't look that good now

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    well it certainly looks better than farcry 3 in terms of realism of the foliage and the jungle, a game which is 5 years ahead of it, but the animtions look quite old on the other hand

7. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Anyone knows if there still are some working online servers for Crysis wars ? Such good memories.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can't remember a single character from Oblivion other than King Septim (who, ironically was killed during the first hour anyway) but then that game suffered from samey-looking NPCs and an extremely limited voice cast so it felt like you were talking to the same character dozens of times over during the game even though they were supposed to be different ones (even races)! That just made them even more unmemorable.

Skyrim was much better in terms of voice-acting and variety than Oblivion but it suffered from even more bland and forgettable characters. Funny though how that didn't affect my enjoyment of the game at the time. It still stands as my favourite Elder Scrolls game (including Morrowind and Oblivion) to date.

9. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    I remember many characters from Oblivion, and quests too. For example Elf prisoners in the beginning was awesome, then King Septim, Lucien Lachance from DB, Owyn from Arena, Martin Septim of course, etc. Some Oblivion characters were funny too.

Skyrim characters are one-dimensional, boring. And that Schwarzenegger accent, omg!? Nords don't talk like that. Skyrim is a joke.

How can you not remember this!?

10. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Do people buy Blizzard games because of graphics! No.
    Sure, 2017 games should not have 2005 graphics, and they all look good today. Art direction is more important actually.
    But majority of people don't talk about graphics. My two friends for example. One of them likes Skyrim, and he doesn't use even texture mods. He is on PC obviously.
    You also don't need best engine and latest features to make good looking game.

Crytek, mainly Cevat has wrong philosophy. That team could make great open world RPG games. They have everything.

Remember this game, which is DX9? It is one of the best looking games, and they achieved this with only good textures and geometry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    It looks great on this oldy dx9.

Nowadays tools are just way too powerful, and allow anyone to achieve great visual.

I did this little scene in UE4, in one afternoon during french elections a couple weeks ago:

12. Well if you subtract the hours necessary to model those ships and environment... Putting them together and clicking run is really just matter of a few hours :)

You can't compare or measure development time of games by this one bit.

13. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Niiiice!

These are standard assets?

14. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They achieved it with photogrammetry..

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Based on those screenshots, i don't think that looks good at all.

Lighting, shadows etc.. just look old and dated.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Are those screens from The Vanishing of Ethan Carter? Didnt they do UE3 then UE4 remake? So one is dx9 and other dx11?

I kinda agree with Redemption here, whatever it is looks outdated.

17. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    My pics are dx9.
    Here is UE3/UE4 comparison. I prefer original in some situations.

Irrelevant because you can achieve the same with standard texture creation.
    This is more about art direction.
    Btw, with photogrammetry you can only create certain textures in game. Let's say that you have Dragon in you game. You can't create textures for Dragon with photogrammetry.

18. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Every single crytek engine game I have enjoyed thoroughly from artistic direction to game play.
    These include

Ryse:Son of Rome
    Sniper ghost warrior 2 +3
    Far cry Primal based on dunia engine (cryengine)
    Crysis 1, 2 and 3
    Yet to play prey.

I will always remember the ending of crysis 1, overheated my gpu. It was that intense.
    Long live crytek.

19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    huh, you enjoyed Ryse? I remember playing it for a bout 30 minutes, and then committing suicide. It's my ghost you're talking to right now.

Joking aside, it was terrible.

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I never really was able to get into Ryse.
    Bought it, couldn't remap the controls... refunded it. :(

EDIT:
    So, replaying Crysis... and I've just gotten past the caves and into the alien ship. And... really... while yes, visually it still holds up, the thing is... it also doesn't hold up.

The outdoor areas, lush and incredibly detailed. The plants, grass and trees... the way they sway in the wind. The water, reflecting sun and rolling over and over.
    It truly does hold up, and still impress.

But, in the exact same scene... you can turn around, and realize... how low detail a lot of the textures are. How stiff and rigid the animation is on enemy soldiers.
    How flat, dull and lifeless lighting is when inside any building.
    The only time the game looks good indoors... is the final level on the aircraft carrier. And, then, it seems like they put extra effort into.

Crysis earned it's stripes back when it was released, but, now... it's definitely a mixed bag. At times, still visually amazing, and at others... it's weaker elements pop out in shocking fashion.

Last edited: May 24, 2017