Watch Dogs Modding Help Needed: Helicopter Stuff

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Deebz, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Hi guys. I've recently managed to get the helicopter into the Car on Demand app, and it is actually flyable! There are a few issues that I'm struggling to solve though.

Camera data seems to be missing. As a result, my view jumps to the world origin when I get in the helicopter, forcing me to use the mini map to see where I'm going. Does anyone have any tips on giving it a camera view?

Also one control seems to be missing. Pressing S does not make the helicopter go down. Every other control works though, with W making it go up, A and D making it rotate, and the mouse wheel making it go forward and backward.

Any help would be appreciated.

Picture for the curious.

2. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Hi, sadly it's a well known problem, everyone got stuck where you are, search in this forum, you could find info about the other tries in some very old post, I remember it was done back in the first months of Watch Dogs modding, but noone managed to get a proper camera working from what I know. :(

3. mlleemiles

mlleemiles Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Are you able to find any .lib file related to this helicopter? My guess is that you will need to assign a handling profile to it so that the game doesn't use generic vehicle controlling profile. Also, a camera preset too. These settings maybe in one of the libs you will find.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    I've found a few, yes. Can you give me any more info on camera presets? Such as where they are defined for cars/boats? I can try to assign something like the Firetruck's cameras to the heli if I know what to look for.

5. mlleemiles

mlleemiles Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    I don't spot any linking "field" in CameraContext.lib. I think it's in some of vehicle preset libs, but unfortunately i don't have the game installed :)

You can see for yourself, note this is poorly made:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5375830&postcount=1227

6. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Yes, the cameravehiclepreset.lib file seems to be what I'm looking for. I've played around with the values in a few files, and determined that what I need is most likely these two values:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <object hash="72DE4948">
      <field hash="61FC6B02" type="BinHex" />
      <field hash="9D8873F8" type="BinHex">56656869636C65732E4261736556656869636C655072657365742E48656176792E466C617462656400</field>
      <field hash="B9295CC7" type="BinHex">[SIZE="4"][B]71D33A19[/B][/SIZE]</field>
      <field hash="389F6DA7" type="BinHex">[SIZE="4"][B]71D33A19[/B][/SIZE]</field>
      <field hash="15413987" type="BinHex">6E4CB996</field>
    This is from the flatbed truck's file. If I change these values into something from another vehicle, the flatbed will get that vehicle's camera preset, and the vehicle I took them from will lose its camera data and have the same view as the heli (under the map).

So in theory, if I can get the correct number for the heli, I should be able to give it a camera view. Only problem is, these numbers (like 71D33A19) are not mentioned in any other xml file in the generated/databases/generic folder. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could find the right number?

7. mlleemiles

mlleemiles Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    No, you've got it wrong. The section you marked is id/key for each and every single preset. Having 2 files with same ids are gonna cause conflict, resulting repacker to ignore one of the files. That's why you will get underground pov.

Underground camera will happen if specific file is missing. In addition, camera system might be tied to model. If you swap Aiden's model to a gun's, you will also get underground camera.

8. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Well I should mention that I also deleted the other vehicle's file before I gave the flatbed its camera. The game crashed otherwise.

My idea was to copy the camera file from something like the fire truck, change its name to helicopter, and use a unique ID for the helicopter in those two places. Assuming the model is rigged for cameras to work (and if it isn't, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it), I assume that would work.

It's just a matter of finding where the ID for the camera preset file is defined... but it doesn't seem to be in the generated/databases/generic folder.

9. mlleemiles

mlleemiles Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Ye that is good thinking. But the problem is, you have to find the file that tells which camera to use. I believe the heli camera is wiped from the game, so you have to manually create one and assign it.

10. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Question is, where do I assign it? I still haven't found a file to do that in, for any vehicle.

11. rootCBR

rootCBR Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2060 S
    As far as know, the control scheme is defined by the vehicle archetype. We absolutely need to find out more about them!

12. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm starting to believe this stuff is defined in the disrupt dll file. Can't find any trace of what I need in any of the .dat files.

13. rootCBR

rootCBR Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2060 S
    Nope, in the Disrupt dll there is nothing to find about "helicopter" or "archetype".

Code:
    <CArchetypeResource ID="{0018ef0c-6226-4533-8792-1a2d1b1d786d}">
    	<CPhysResource Type="CPhysResource" ID="graphics\vehicles_nexus\air\helicopter_01\helicopter_01.hkx" IsFilename="1" Size="0" />
    	<CResourceContainer Type="CResourceContainer" ID="cvehiclephyspartparams_bodypartbreakable.base" IsFilename="0" Size="0" nbChildren="3">
    		<CSoundResource Type="CSoundResource" ID="soundbinary\1300941195.bnk" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    		<CSoundResource Type="CSoundResource" ID="soundbinary\1226220988.bnk" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    		<CSoundResource Type="CSoundResource" ID="soundbinary\2800517192.bnk" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    	</CResourceContainer>
    	<CModelResource Type="CModelResource" ID="graphics\models\0x800000017f6c418c.model" IsFilename="1" Size="0" />
    	<CSoundResource Type="CSoundResource" ID="soundbinary\3901584024.bnk" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    	<CSoundResource Type="CSoundResource" ID="soundbinary\3175521610.bnk" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    	<CSoundResource Type="CSoundResource" ID="soundbinary\3854623441.bnk" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    	<CParticlesSystemParamResource Type="CParticlesSystemParamResource" ID="{c38c89e3-2ea8-407b-9f47-00fd8cea536a}" IsFilename="0" Size="32" />
    	<CParticlesSystemParamResource Type="CParticlesSystemParamResource" ID="{970ed617-5268-4f61-a2a5-7387ef227514}" IsFilename="0" Size="32" />
    	<CParticlesSystemParamResource Type="CParticlesSystemParamResource" ID="{8d097495-922d-42fa-a87e-f2ab7e2b7e2d}" IsFilename="0" Size="32" />
    	<CSoundResource Type="CSoundResource" ID="soundbinary\4082251753.bnk" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    	<CSkeletonResource Type="CSkeletonResource" ID="graphics\vehicles_nexus\air\helicopter_01\helicopter_01_ref.skeleton" IsFilename="1" Size="0" />
    	<CBTWorkspaceResource Type="CBTWorkspaceResource" ID="engine\scripts\game\ai\chopperbrain.ai.rml" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    	<CSoundResource Type="CSoundResource" ID="soundbinary\3976845779.bnk" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    	<CSoundResource Type="CSoundResource" ID="soundbinary\633517889.bnk" IsFilename="1" Size="0" nbChildren="0" />
    	<CTextureResource Type="CTextureResource" ID="graphics\_textures\lights\lens_flare_02_d.xbt" IsFilename="1" Size="0" />
    	<CTextureResource Type="CTextureResource" ID="graphics\_textures\lights\anamorphic_lens_flare.xbt" IsFilename="1" Size="0" />
    	<CTextureResource Type="CTextureResource" ID="graphics\_textures\lights\sun_lensflare_d.xbt" IsFilename="1" Size="0" />
    	<CTextureResource Type="CTextureResource" ID="graphics\ies\iesatlas.xbt" IsFilename="1" Size="0" />
    	<CTextureResource Type="CTextureResource" ID="ui\fire\sources\textures\nexus_profiler\object\wd2carbrand_police.xbt" IsFilename="1" Size="0" />
    </CArchetypeResource>

This is the archetype of a helicopter from a WD2 dlc mission. If we assume it works the same way in WD1 then I guess the camera is tied to the model file, which is impossible to edit at this moment...

I could change some things in this file and see if there is a difference in WD2 if I spawn a helicopter, but repacking lasts 15-20 minutes and yeah... no.

What do you think will happen if I edit this file? Will the game read it? Will I have to move the file to patch archive?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  14. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Finding that stuff in assembly isn't really possible, it's more complicated than that.

I tried replacing the model of some cars in WD1, but the camera view didn't change. It still used the cameravehiclepreset file from the old car.

Where did you find that archetype file at? Do files like that exist in WD1?

15. rootCBR

rootCBR Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2060 S
    I didn't find any files like that in WD1. I'm now gonna spawn that helicopter in WD2 and see if there are any differences when I edit the archetype file.

16. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Guess it is hardcoded in WD1 then. Kind of makes sense, given that no vehicles were ever added via DLC. They needed that ability in WD2, so they exposed the master archetype files.

So unless anyone here is well versed in assembly, it may not be possible to fix the issues with the heli.

17. rootCBR

rootCBR Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2060 S
    But it may be in WD2. Do you own WD2?

18. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Yeah I do. Modding WD2 isn't quite as easy as WD1 though, is it? Anticheat gets in the way I think. There's also the fact that I mostly play multiplayer in these games, so modding the heli into WD2 wouldn't be much use to me with the anticheat system...

EDIT: That's not to say I would use it to cheat. I don't play like that. It would just be annoying to have to swap out files every time I want to play online.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  19. rootCBR

rootCBR Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2060 S
    I don't think the EAC gets you banned. If I play online with mods and leave EAC activated I sometimes get kicked. Most of the time though nothing happens. If you deactivate EAC with the command you will just get a message saying connection lost because of triggering EAC.

20. Deebz

Deebz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Oh really? Well that behavior sounds like what happens to me anyway lol. I guess I can look into fixing it in WD2, when I get home from work. What is the archetype ID of the heli in WD2?