High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Any of you guys get a hold of schiit new Jotunheim Amp with the option for an dac module? Looks very interesting, As I have my eyes on it for next year. So I can get back into an All in one solution from an separate dac and amp. Mainly eyeing it balanced connections for the headphones, since it look like an cheaper option to get that feature instead of having separate units for it.

I don't like the fact they are still using that old C-media chip and instead of Xmos which works wonderful for me. But I have not used any thing with that C-media chip model, so I don't know how well it works.

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Can anyone help me out, i'm looking at buying a other subwoofer: Jamo J 112 SUB
    But i can't find if it's active or passive, cause i need an active one with a amplifier build in.

I've read somewhere it's passive but i believe it's a amplified sub and i need to be sure.

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    This ?
    http://www.jamo.com/speakers/subwoofer/?sku=J112SUB

Active.

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti

5. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Ever heard of the BK Monolith? Great sounding sub!

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith.htm

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I use this sub, its superb.
    I get a good response down to 16Hz even though my room isnt bass friendly and the sub isnt corner loaded.
    Its been modded to match the lower cutoff of my speakers 25Hz @ -3dB (instead of the subs standard 40Hz).
    Killer sub for the price.

ps hi everyone, been away for a ...while.

8. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Gor a pair of Behringer MS40's hooked up to a 200W RMS JBL Sub. Have never taken it past about 40% because one of our dogs is frightened to death of thunderstorms, and the bass from the JBL makes her scared (she spends her days cowering underneath the table when I have system on!LOL!

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I'm looking at getting one next year to replace my Dali E12F, really want something that can hit the lows which the Monolith certainly seems to do.

PS. Welcome back :)

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Never gotten the sub i wanted, sadly have other priorities. :(

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Cheers :)

It will add another dimension.
    Theres a fair amount of music that has sub 20Hz tones. they feel awesome!
    Even more with sub 25Hz which is probably the lowest reach you get with the Dali.
    Films love it too!

Be sure you have the space.
    Spike it into a large wooden breadboard or similar.
    I found this tightened the bass substantially, fixing problems I had been going nuts trying to sort.

12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a go.

I've got a decent amount of free space between my main speakers and the TV so fitting it in shouldn't be a problem, probably going to get the Monolith+.

I take it you have the downward firing version?

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep, the early Monolith DF.
    I really like the specs of the Plus version, I would get that if I didnt have one already.
    Although I dont come close to needing more power, the cone hardly moves.

Have a go putting solid wood under your current sub, it might help that too.
    How much effect it will have depends what your floor is made of and the nature of the cavity underneath.
    ie lots of boom, helps a lot.
    Reduced boom helps bring out the definition of the waveforms. You can feel the frequencies rather than a mushy buzz.
    I have a very old IKEA 4cm thick wooden bread board sat directly on my carpet, the sub is spiked into it.
    I havent felt the need to spike the wood to the floor because I am chuffed as nuts with it. Perhaps I should see what it does.

btw, the wood veneer is exceptional (mine is walnut).
    Worth the £50 extra imo.

14. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I might give that a go with the current sub, floor isn't solid so could help.

Thinking I might get an Anti-Mode 8033-1 Cinema to calibrate the sub as my current amp doesn't do it, probably a lot of lost potential with the Dali if I'm honest.

15. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Just got my Audio Technica ATH-R70x, won't have time to listen to it as I'm kinda tired now, and I'll be overseas on a very short trip, but I'll devote some time over the weekends to spend some serious time with it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That's some nice pricetag on them. I wonder how they compared with HD600.

17. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    D'oh, so sorry for missing this!:bonk: It's an Acer XR341CK, Freesync @75Hz with IPS panel.....awesome for the games I've played on it.......like Doom, UT3, Titanfall 2, HL2 series, etc. I believe the future is UW with 144Hz refresh and higher. Right now, 75Hz is just fine for me, heck, even had no problem with 60Hz panels tbh. I also have a 29" UW 2560x1080 monitor on my other table, it doesn't have Freesync/Gsync and is only 60Hz, but it's just fine for games and movies.

Back to the ATH-R70x I'd gotten, initial impression is, it is definitely atypical of the Audio Technica sound when compared to the AD series. Highs are present, but not sparkly to me (unlike the AD2000), mids is somewhat laid back and NOT forward like the aforementioned AD2000, hence female vocals sound OK but definitely not as good as on the AD2000. Bass is surprisingly good compared to, say, the AD700X (which has anemic bass), there's a nice punch but it rolled pretty quickly as well.To sverek, some have even compared the R70x to the HD600/650 in that they think it's a good alternative to the HD600/650./

All that makes for a good non-fatiguing sound, some have commented that the treble may be an issue for some, but certainly not for me. I've yet to try the R70x on my Oppo HA-1 or Gustard stack, my opinion of the can is based on the Fostex HP-A4 I've been using since it's hooked up to the PC I'm using the most right now. I do believe the HP-A4 is a warm'ish DAC combo....oh yeah, almost forgot, with regard to soundstage, it certainly isn't as wide as the AD700X, seems a tad narrow to me actually.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  18. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Just got this a few hours back and have been putting it thru its paces with my Senn IE800 and the ATH-R70X (98 dB sensitivity, 470 Ohm) and the V20 power it with ease. I have even heard some using planars like the LCD series and achieving loud enough volume. With the HiFi Quad DAC used, the sound is pretty damn good.....better than on any phone I've used to for music enjoyment.
    [​IMG]
    Now listening to Paul McCartney's Band On The Run and it sounds awfully good, so good that if I could easily imagine that I was using my desktop gear instead.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  19. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I been curious about the R70x my self, I wonder how it compares to the HD 700, I couldn't find any one yet who done an compare already.

20. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    If you can remember, I HAD a HD700 a while back and TBH, I was rather unimpressed with it. Sounded dark, with perhaps mildly laid back mids but nice tight bass. In a way, the R70x shares these attributes......but doesn't sound dark to me. Some have commented that it does have some treble sparkle but I don't hear it, heck it certainly isn't anywhere in the region of the treble sparkle on the AD2000. I recall wondering what happened to treble on the HD700, with the R70x, I don't find myself thinking that (that might be my high frequency hearing loss talking though).

As with all shiny new toys, I'm trying out the R70x with the V20 combo and they make for a pretty good pairing. With the R70x plugged in, the V20 goes into high impedance mode and I'm comfortable at the 50/75 mark. Heck, I'd even tried my modded T50RP with the phone and it powers the can quite easily.
    [​IMG]

Edit - BTW, I'm chillin' to Rod Stewart on the V20 + R70x while I'm typing out this message....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.