Six quick wireless security tips

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Finchwizard, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Haha dude, as an Systems Administrator, nothing is full proof, there are tools out there that can crack both just as easy.

But for the average joe, WEP (As opposed to nothing) and MAC filtering is fine, those tips will still secure your network down than a lot of peoples networks.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    there are a lot of tools out so be careful

3. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Does Wep and WPA1 and 2 slow down your wireless?

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    No they don't, if they do, it's very minimal.

5. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
  6. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    if you disable dhcp, and your isp changes your ip won't that cause problems for your router?

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    DHCP is for the LAN side of things, not the WAN.

8. InGen

InGen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    Is there any real need to have WEP/WPA when MAC address filtering is enabled?

I mean surely MAC address filtering is the best and only option requsred because it limited to just that, the MAC address. Everyones number is unique, so if no two addresses are the same how can they gain access to the router?
    The only way i could see that happening is if the hacker could somehow mask his MAC address as your own which doesnt seem very easy to do, if not impossible.

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Spoofing MAC addresses is relatively easily, and when there is no encryption it makes it very easy.

You need some kind of Encryption, and the MAC filtering is just an added thing too

10. InGen

InGen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    So in your opinion what should i go for WEP, WPA or WPA 2?

Cheers!

11. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I use WEP, but it's easily crackable now, something like 15 seconds?

Then again, the others are crack-able too, if you do go WPA(2) you need to pick a LONG key with characters, capitals, numbers, lowercase etc.

Nothing in the dictionary either.

12. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    this sticky should really be updated for the current times. if i may be so bold to suggest: to use WPA2 whenever possible. it gets over the many flaws in WEP (and yes finch, 15sec is a best case scenario time if the APs are spweing out a TON of IV keys, but on a home network, unless using ARP injections it can take a while for the AP to generate enough IV keys for a WEP cracking util to decipher the 64 or 128bit HEX key, but is still relatively easy to crack). WPA2 + long, complex passphrase is miles better then WEP

also, note that just because SSID broadcast is off, the SSID can still be found simply by listening to the traffic. all SSID broadcasting allows for is to see the SSID when looking for available networks in fancy pants GUIs like with windows connection wizard. the SSID is still "broadcast" every now and then in the AP's Beacon frames regardless if SSID broadcast is on or off.

also maybe add about wireless channels? if you find several other APs all broadcasting on 11 or 6 (2 most common) switch its settings to another channel to lower the chance of interference.

your writeup is still very good, but i just think it might help to update it to stay current with new security features and such.

13. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You're most welcome to make another security page.

I just don't have the time at the moment.
    I'd like to get into a few sections and update my things.

WPA2 is the best option, along with Mac filtering again, and turning off DHCP. Which should be turned off regardless unless you're on a large network.

It depends who you ask too, some people suggest running the standard channels, because you get less of a bleed out with frequencies.
    Others say to use them all on different frequencies to avoid interferences.

SSID broadcasting just stops the people who are next door from accidentally connecting to it or seeing it. By no means to stop war drivers etc.

If someone wants in, they'll get in.
    If we are talking about Corporate Wireless you can use VPN's and RADIUS auth servers and whole bunch of other things, but that's far outside the scope of the normal user.

14. Intrepidx

Intrepidx Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA/9800GX2/1024MB
    BackTrack3<3 :)

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Finch can you update this to say WPA not WEP?

Also at work (a school) we have about 150 laptops on the wireless and will be using mac filtering, although I'm not sure if they did it yet as when I left they only had one Wireless AP in the school instead of the 60+ we should have had, but there was a EU wide shortage of Cisco Wireless AP's, paying £65,000 for the network you'd think they could freaking do it on time.
    ^^ None of the about is relevant to this thread really. ^^

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    A little something to add on the SSID part.

Disabling SSID broadcasting doesn't hide the access point completely.
    IBM/Lenovo's connection software will still be able to see it on the list, the same goes for some Windows 7 beta releases.

I kinda freaked out when I saw a fresh installed Windows 7 beta doing just that on my PC.

17. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    The guide would definiately need to be updated. WPA2 with AES is the recommended settings for most Intel Centrino based laptops. Without these settings, the laptop may not use the full access speeds provided most 11n routers.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nice necro... 8 year old thread

[​IMG]

386SX likes this.
  19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

sorry for necromanting,
    Please Sir austin, explain a bit..How can someone hijack it, etc etc...sources?

Im doing a lot of pentesting atm for some people and im interessted in what you sayd..

greetz BeTa

20. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    This thread should be revived and brought up2date if it should remain a sticky. WEP isn't by any means secure anymore. But to your question:
    The design is prone to errors.
    If you configure a visible SSID, your device knows where it is and when its coverage ends.
    If SSID is hidden, your wireless doesn't know if this is the correct SSID and will probe any hidden SSID with the password provided. Repeatedly .... often .... :D

How to attack?
    Rogue AP and/or capturing the handshake, which is initiated more often ("Network are you there at all? Lets try ... LOG ME IN WITH PASSWORD 123123123! Does not work? Okay ... /time passes/ Network are you there at all? Let's try ... LOG ME IN WITH PASSWORD 123123123......" and so on).
    Had this happen to some guys from a big company during a live hacking session I attended. :D

Then capture this phase 1 of the handshake and run the tools (if you do pentest then you know which) to extract the password.

People can protect themselves easily by just enabling SSID broadcast (and re-setup the devices so they know SSID is broadcasted). That's it, no magic dragons here. ;)