Secure Yourself

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Psychosematic, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    Hmm, i never have bothered with a firewall. whats the point? If a hacker really wants to break into my computer to steel my pron then he will no matter what i am using. :D

If you are dfumb enough to use banking online and keep personal info like pins number and passwords then thats just insane.

I agree with virus software and spyware tools. I use NAV corp and i run adaware PRO - spybot and Xsoft pro.

Other than that, you have NO chance of a stopping a hacker at all. Unless it a script kiddy then the tool he is using will simply do a scan for what ever he is looking for and then leave to the next victim.

Why spend your entire time online freaking out.

2. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    on a side note, why use outlook anyway, thats just asking for trouble IMHO.

I use my ISP email, no fuss no bother :)

3. r3g

r3g Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270x
    of all the free antivirus programs out which is best?

4. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    There is a point. A hacker can hack anything, but it doesn't mean we should just let them walk right in. Firewall will block viruses and worms. For a hacker to hack your pc, won't he have to manually, and attentively work on your individual pc? Unless u are a big company like MS, i dont' think u'll be a target to those hacks.

We are basically trying to prevent worms and viruses to enter our pcs through the general internet way.

Why lock your door @ home? If burglars want to break in, they can right?

5. god4sure

god4sure Elite Trini Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX / X300
    yeah, I use mcafee and ad aware on my home pc
    and avg and ad aware on my laptop.

No complaints with either. I used to use Norton but I found that it slowed the system down

6. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  7. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    Nice list...
    I use the paid version of Zone Alarm (with AV), although the free version is the same firewall, with one or two less functions.
    I also use both Webroot SpySweeper (paid) and Avast (free) simultaniously as active running AV's, with both Lavasoft's AdAware SE and SpyBot SD as adware sniffers. Also I have SpyWare Blaster too.
    SpySweeper: http://www.webroot.com/
    Avast: http://www.avast.com/
    Lavasoft (AdAware SE): http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    SpyBot SD: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/
    SpyWare Blaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    Another good tool, is WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/ which monitors for active running process changes.

8. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Computer Associates: http://www.vet.com.au/
    Latest version of VET is even lighter on resourses then before and has great support as well. I use it to remove infected files from PC's running Norton Antivirus.

VET is also available with ZoneAlarm, though it is called Computer Associates Antivirus instead (VET is it's name in Australia).

VET now changed to Etrust Antivirus and the interface has been changed to one with fewer options, though if you want an Antivirus program that reportedly detects 100% of viri in the wild including trojans and worms, and you want to just install and forget, this is the program for you. I've never had an infection while running VET/Etrust over the last couple of years. I can't say the same for Norton which let a worm straight through within a couple of weeks of installing (against all better judgement) so I promptly removed it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  9. SL-spirit

SL-spirit Master Guru

GPU:
    1GB Sparkle 9800GT
    So many cool anti-virus prog sites but have to spend some time downloading em!!!

Just wanted to no if using Norton and AVG at the same time would cause any problems or not????

Please reply....................

10. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    2 anti-virus at the same time esp. with Norton ..... sounds very scary to me ..................

It is better to have one good anti-virus installed. AVG is good.
    Un-install Norton ;)

11. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    OMG/.... Im getting files put on my computer without me knowing... like random image files and shiz... OMG. definately spyware... which on is BEST and free... ;)

EDIT: Im gonna try spyware blaster... :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  12. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    Spyware Blaster only blocks malacious web sites from setting cookies on your computer.

try, Spybot S&D and Adware. Download, update the definations, disable system restore and run a full system scan.

13. davemk7

davemk7 Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800gts
    whats winpatrol like as an extra to firewall, anti-virus and spyware blaster?
    http://www.winpatrol.com/

I also have a few troublesome cookies that got in before spyware blaster (only just installed it) but they were still their in spybot afterwards?

14. s4_squalo

s4_squalo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 2GB
    cheers for all that info :)

zone alarm really did not like that program, it identified a virus whenever it installed and then the program wanted to install a driver with a WARNING!!! lable on it, so i got rid of that. truecrypt looks pretty good tho :)

15. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Cain & Abel is the type of tool(s) some scanners may report back as a threat, as the tools can be used for nefarious purposes.
    On the other hand i don't see why it would called it a virus surely it must have given some other definition of the threat. Last i looked into it ZA was using the KAV engine, though im not sure, i don't think KAV by default will detect C&A as a threat. Maybe it is done by ZA's own definition files or maybe it's the anti-spyware part. Many scanners will only report these tools when extra detection is opted-in by the user, like Avira "Extended threat categories".

16. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm looking to buy new Anti Virus and Firewall software.

I've been using Norton System Works and Personal Firewall 2005 until now (yeah, it's a 1 year subscription but it kept crapping out on me and as such, managed to get 3 years out of it! lol)

Is Onecare any good?

I don't like new Norton since well... their software is poo now... It doesn't have advanced features anymore (much more like dictatorship software)

Cheers for the help guys

17. Intrepidx

Intrepidx Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA/9800GX2/1024MB
    que? lol

18. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Norton still sucks, VET and ZoneAlarm now suck. Many others are crap too now.

NOD32 and Bitdefender are good and suites include firewall etc. Antivir is reported to be a good antivirus also.

19. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    What most people don't realise is that they probably ARE already running a firewall, and a very strong one.. It's called a router.

Running multiple firewalls is NOT recommended and will only cause conflicts and configuration nightmares.

So check it out, if you have a router, forget software firewalls. Hardware ones are inherently superior (well most routers with a good NAT implemenation that is)

Basicly the purpose of a firewall is to block unsolisited incoming connections.. Such connections are impossible anyways if you use a router as the router receives the connections and willl not forward them to your pc if it did not ask for it.

The only additional feature you may get from a software filewall is blocking outgoing connetions - basicly firewalling yourself., protecting the internet from YOU.. lol.
    In terms of real world use - they have almost no practicle use, and ALWAYS cause more problems then they prevent. I swear over 50% of internet connection issues can be summed down to 1 program - norton internet securitys firewall.

Most routers firewalls dont have this "feature".. So unless your completely computer inept (unlikely if your reading this forum) you should NOT run a software firewall if you have a router.

20. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    "Most routers firewalls dont have this "feature".. So unless your completely computer inept (unlikely if your reading this forum) you should NOT run a software firewall if you have a router."

SHOULD READ

"Most routers firewalls dont have this "feature".. So unless your completely computer inept (unlikely if your reading this forum) you should run a software firewall if you have a router."

Of course if someone sends you a keylogger, trojan or another nasty in an email (or you download one because you don't use/update antivirus) and you want them to retrieve all your passwords and banking details, then don't use a software firewall.

It is pretty simple to send data through your router by following the rules.

Not running a software firewall is still a bad idea. If you stay away from Norton you should be alright, use another reputable product. I swear over 50% of internet connection issues can be summed down to 1 program - norton internet securitys firewall not being uninstalled and reinstalled so it can detect the network connection - yes if it is that poor at detecting your network then it is up to you if you want to use it.