Desktop Screen Tearing in Clone Mode.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by qda, May 13, 2010.

1. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    I have my desktop in clone mode, and I'm getting desktop screen tearing, very noticeably.

In NVIDIA Control Panel, under 'Set up multiple displays':
    If I set Display 1 as primary clone, both displays are stuck on 60hz, and I get screen tearing on Display 2 (moving windows, watching movie, everything..).
    If I set Display 2 as primary clone, both displays are stuck on 59hz, and I get screen tearing on Display 1 (desktop, movies, everything..).

Display 1 only allows itself to be set to 59hz in single-display mode, and Display 2 can only be set to 60hz in single-display mode. I don't know if this is related to the issue, I'm only guessing. There is no tearing in single-display mode.

How can I troubleshoot this? Is there something obvious to try to eliminate tearing on both screens?

Windows 7 x64, Aero on
    2x GTX 275 SLI
    Forceware 197.45
    Both displays plugged into 1 video card.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I would like to revive this because im experiencing this with 3xx.xx drivers too. and since the issue reported here is quite old, im wondering if this is expected behavior...

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It may be a lack of an available overlay on the second screen.
    Try disabling Aero, this frees up an overlay.

Edit:
    however, this disables vsync on the desktop, which looks to be your issue anyway.
    Worth a try though.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    i have the exact same thing! but with 3 monitors! All my monitors are Asus VGH236 1080P 120Hz.

My setup is like: Portrait (120Hz DVI-D) -- Landscape (120Hz DVI-D) -- Portrait (60Hz HDMI)

And my most left screen is tearing quite allot. Im thinking that HDMI is the culprit. But i cant figure out why ?!.

5. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Count Me in too, Although I only get this when my TV (connected via HDMI) is on.

6. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    Well that would be because two of your monitors are running at 120Hz so the third monitor would be tearing trying to keep up with the 120Hz refresh of the other two. The only real way to prevent that would be to set the monitors to use 60Hz.