1st Witcher 2 review is IN!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sAAdC, May 11, 2011.

1. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    What to do... What to do... Play game, or wait for patch... Continue playing the game, or wait for patch...

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Pretty much my view of the game, it's frustrating because it had potential but there's too many fun killing factors in the game...

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Just a friendly tip for those running Nvidia SLi hardware.

Don't know if this will work on other people's systems, but try maxing your pre-rendered frames to 8. I noticed that increasing this value helped speed up the first time (repeat loads are done from memory so now worries there) loading transitions when entering new areas significantly, which resulted in less hitching and stuttering during those events. In fact, it completely removed it in many cases to my surprise.

How it does this I am uncertain, but since this value determines how far head the CPU can prepare frames for rendering, I suppose that it reduces the latency involved in sending the data to the GPU.

If you're still on HDD like I am, then this might help to improve your Witcher 2 experience :)

4. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    I thought it was great apart from the last chapter, all the build up and then meh lol. Then again that could be becuase it's the middle game in a trilogy.

5. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Don't know about all does many fun killing factors, i'm a big Witcher fan (books and games) the only thing that disappointed me was the last chapter, which was to short, aside from that this was the best rpg i played in a long time, i finished it 2 times and i have to say that starting from the ending of the first chapter i played a different game every time..new quests, characters and a different side of the story..that's what, in my opinion, makes for a great game.

I won't start commenting on the graphics, voice acting, sound effects and all the huge amount of rpg elements present in the game. All of this things were perfect implemented.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    By "huge amount of rpg elements" you surely mean interactive movie AKA 16 different endings.

C&C should not be equated to RPG. It's just one of the RPG elements, the one that's so agresivly marketed post Mass Effect, and the one so obviously implemented in Witcher 2, as opposed to seamlessly like in say Baldur's Gate 2.

The rest of RPG elements like character creation, character development, party management, inventory management, area exploration, NPC interaction, weapons lore, magic system... All these things Witcher 2 has either poorly implemented or not at all.

It's a horribly designed button smasher with pretty graphics and 16 different endings.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I haven't spent much time with Witcher2 yet, but alot of time with the original, and surely that is what separates the Witcher games from other RPG's though, there is no need for them to all be identical, or follow some made up RPG by numbers rule, and while the combat could be called button bashing in the sequel, it is alot more strategic than the original game, which i could do without even looking at the screen.

Personally, things like like character creation, party management and need to overuse ridiculous magic is what has put me off RPG's for years, i had just about given up on medieval style RPG's in recent years, especially after how much i hated Dragon Age, and while i don't enjoy them like many classics i played when i was younger, both Witcher games have been the only ones i enjoyed, and i felt more like i was in control of the game, rather than the game controlling me, which to me is what an RPG is about.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well I am sick of elvish rangers and generic RPG's also, and all open for new concepts but...

Scripted combat, having to go left, because choosing right will get you killed, QTE events, totally random combos... that's quite OPPOSITE of being in control.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, but i felt more in control during both Witcher games than i did during any other RPG in years, and thoroughly enjoyed area exploration and NPC interaction, do agree about the QTE's though, but i hate them in nearly every game.

I also prefer a much faster pace when it comes to combat, strategy is for RTS games, imho close combat should be about reaction speed.
    Really though, its all personal preference, rather than right or wrong, and would only be an issue if all RPG's were going this way, which i don't think is the case, well not yet anyway.

My only fault with the Witcher games is that he is a witcher lol, as boring as it sounds to some, i would love an RPG with no magic at all, just a normal guy.

10. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i see..that's your opinion, i won't comment and i won't argue with you. But i would like to know what game is not a button smasher, yeah if you compare the fighting with the first Witcher, it's clearly a step back, but still you can't really button smash your way out of every fight, at least not at hard..the npc's counter, parry and attack you.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    TBH although I'm strategic guy and turn based combat is my bread and butter
    (Lords of Chaos anyone??), I have nothing against RTS.

And I would love a good button smasher. Although I would never call it an RPG :)

But common... SPACE, left and right mouse click.
    And block if u went parry/riposte( otherwise don't bother with it)

My only grudge... far too many :)
    I tried to force myself to look the other way, but it was an exercise in futility.

I know it boils down to personal preference, but tbh I am amazed at the amount of panegyric reviews this game received.

And in my view it sends a wrong message: Cater to PC gamers by talking endlessly how you care about them, make a nice graphics game and you'll be forgiven for everything else.

Will anyone say that combat system, character development and UI were not slapped hastily?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Definitely is all personal taste, as turn based is what sent me away from RPG's, just got frustrated by the fact that to be considered a "real" RPG, realism had to be thrown out the window.

Don't think it sends the wrong message though, lots of PC gamers genuinely enjoyed it, and likely for all the same reasons you didn't enjoy it, i know you probably think this is a step in the wrong direction for RPG's, but doesn't mean people were lying to themselves about how much they liked it.

13. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    I wouldn't say they were hastily slapped together, i would say it was all for the planned console versions that they kept quiet till they were close to PC launch.

Graphically it looks like a PC game but the combat, the amount of menu screens, the way the inventory is, the main menu (lack of in game gfx options) ect, all points to consoles being a focal point of the development.

What i think is funny though was how originally the devs said they would not be making a console version, then not long after it turned to we are thinking abut a console version, and the PC version hadn't hit shelves before they said it was coming to the 360 lol.

Make no mistake though graphically the 360 version is going to a stuttering, jaggy, blurry mess compared to the PC version.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Wasn't really kept quiet, and i personally don't remember them saying they would not be making a console version, it was the original they said they weren't porting to consoles, but did say a console version of the sequel was planned, but would be after the PC version as they couldn't afford to do both at the same time, and this was back in 2010.

It would of been nice if this stayed as a PC exclusive, but i doubt this sold enough on the PC to make these guys enough money, so you can't really blame them.

15. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    finished it and personally thought the game was great and i liked the battle system more than the first one...like redemption said first one after awhile you barely need to even be paying attention at all

sure it may be like 'button mashing' to some in witcher 2 but truth is if all you do is just click click click you die, in witcher 2 you actually think about how you fight and actually make good use of the signs

my main complaintant is lack of storage and clunky inventory

16. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    I dunno what issues got CDProjekt Red with inventories. But no one liked the inventories of Witcher 1 (the two of them, pre EE, and post EE) nor Witcher 2 one.

They should just copy some known-to-work idea and be done with it lol

Anyway, i liked more Witcher 1 combat. I dunno what ppl found wrong with it. I liked it. they could have expanded it so it doesnt get too repetitive but i dont think they were too far from a good combat system...

17. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Cool but i do remember watching one of the dev videos where the guy said this is a pc game, it's not something we're going to port to console.

However that could just be because English wasn't his first language.

What i do think is hilarious is the people complaining about how the game gets easier the further in you get, it was the same with the first game and most old school RPGs i've played. Your character is always increasing in power so of course things are going to get easier (boss battles aside).

And a lot of these people are the same ones that moaned about Oblivion keeping enemies at your level the whole time and it felt like your character was never getting any more powerful lol.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  18. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

in the witcher 2 you barely need to pay attention at all also

just put on lighting sheild and dodge and button mash, so pathetic

19. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Glad it's not digital on steam. Personally I hate steam and would never buy anything without getting the cd/dvd physically. No way am I going to spend my money and count on some company to store everything for me when tomarrow they could go out of business and your all screwed! Titles that are only digital sure I get them digitally but not thru steam :) Anyways I will be buying this game looks good

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    So both Witcher games have pathetic combat then lol, tbh i could put up with it in both games, as i wasn't expecting it to rival fighting games etc...

yelsewshane, this game started me off on buying most games retail again, as things like collectors editions are awful when they are digital, mp3's instead of the CD, pdf's instead of posters, total waste of money.