Lightscribe?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by maleficarus™, Feb 14, 2010.

1. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Is it just me or is finding lightscribe DVD discs getting harder to find these days? I've been using lightscribe for a few years now and have always loved it as I can't stand messing with labels or markers. But I have noticed recently that Wal-mart as well as many other retail stores don't carry them as much anymore. Is this a supply and demand thing or is lightscribe slowly being phased out?

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    It never really took off though, I bought some disks and never even used them.

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Sure it took off, I don't think that is the problem. I remember walking into a Wal-mart and all you could see was lightscribe discs and burners. Now there almost impossible to find. I asked one person in a local PC retail store to me and he tried to convince me the reason they don't sell them anymore is because lightscribe burners cost so much more? I told him that was false but he didn't beleive me. My Asus lightscribe burner cost $4 dollars more then one without lightscribe.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The last Lightscribe burner I saw at Walmart was retailing for $70. That probably has something to do with it. Not to mention the fact that lightscribe is useless for most people (including me). Good old permanent market is all you need.

5. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    look at Newegg for drives and look at Costco for blank discs that uses Lightscribe I bought like 2 100 packs of the discs since I record TV shows for my parents like crazy for when Survivor is on. lol.

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Not to sure how it is useless for you but ok....I paid $29.99 for my Asus 20X lightscribe burner retail.

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    You can get lightscribe burners for like £20 here, disks are stupid expensive though.

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Lightscribe looks useful to me, my next drive, most likely a combo CD / DVD / Blu Ray will have it.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Don't see the need to label my disks with anything more than a marker. That's why.

10. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    lightscribe is a neat feature, but i find that i don't use it as often as i thought i would. for most data discs a good ole sharpie is fine, especially since i don't want to use the more expensive LS discs for data. i only use LS for music cd labels but i have made less then 10 LS imaged cd's in the year and a half that i have owned it. since i have an ipod, i never use cd's...in the end it doesn't matter since it was in the same price range as non LS drives.

11. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    With advent of cheap external hard and thumb drives there's little reason to burn anything any more.

12. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Movies.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I convert them into H.264 to shrink 'em. Price of HDD is low enough that you can get tera drives for less than before.

As for Lightscribe, never saw the use, I always have my handy Sharpie pen to do all my labelling work.

Although, all my drives are Lightscribe ready, I never saw the use.

deltatux

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Sharpies can sink deep into the disk and corrupt them over time. May not believe it, but tis true.

Yeah, but I'm talking about burning movies to DVD and playing them on yer TV.

You know some people still watch stuff on TV's? You know?:p

15. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    you can usually pick up a 50 pack of dvd-r 16x lightscribe discs for around $20 online. retail prices are usually twice that here.

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I also have those special disc writing pens ;). Plus, if you don't press hard on the discs, you won't have said issues.

deltatux