AMD Demonstrates 'FreeSync' @ CES

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For nVidia, it's just a matter of greed. Why use an industry "standard" when they can develop a piece of proprietary hardware and charge a preimum for it? I'm not saying AMD or Intel are beyond doing this but at least they try to adopt industry standards where they already exist and are viable.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That's the main issue I have with Nv. It seems to happen more often than not sadly. All companies do questionable things, but Nv seem to go above and beyond at times when it comes to their paticular industry.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    nVidia wants to milk every customer for every penny......

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    New tech is great, but as time goes on, it seems as though now more than ever, that industry really is just milking it.

Explanation for my sourness.. Please hold....Please hold...Ples.. You have been connected:
    Why spend more money on brand new architecture for better performance, when you can revive a well kept 'secret' and say call it a brand new feature for current gpus.

Sure, we gamers are getting better performance out of this, but i've always felt that things are made more complicated than really necessary or purposely gimped to milk us.

6. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Corporations exist to make money off of us. Wouldn't surprise me.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Oh , just like you said before with Mantle Anandtech. well we know how that turned out.

Looking forward to a more in depth demonstration as youtube videos are useless for this.

8. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    VBLANK is there pretty much because of backwards compatibility. Theoretically we could have GPU tell the LCD display to update only certain parts of the display, on a per pixel basis. But nobody has really cared about this stuff so all manufacturers went with the old way.
    The vesa standard is a funny thing too, it standardises the VBLANK variable but it doesn't say anything about an API that could be used to change it. The whole API is up to the display manufacturer, meaning every display could have its own API. I can only imagine how much work AMD has to do in order to support displays.

Hopefully this competition between AMD and Nvidia wakes up display manufacturers and they come up with a standard API for things like this.

9. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    C'mon lads! It's feckin obvious that each company wants to milk customers. That is what business is about these days unfortunately. And when it comes to Graphics cards manufacturers Nvidia had the edge in the last few years and it's just understandable that they are doing what we can all see. AMDs only chance is to bring new stuff and extras at either no or very little cost. Lately it seems that they are being successful and it's a good thing for all of us. Just stop living in a dream land and don't make one company black and the other white. Once AMD will have the edge and become profitable the whole thing will turn around. So let's just wait a little and enjoy the free fruits which AMD want to bring to the table now.
    And when it comes to this specific FREESYNC, if it works, am pretty sure that both companies knew about it for years. But instead of bringing it to us they were quiet and forced quicker and quicker GPUs on us telling us that those will solve our tearing problems (and all other stuff) rather than such a simple solution which would mean you don't need a whopper card to have playable frame rates...
    Just my opinion on all of this.

10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

Did you even read that patent? It's a patent for dynamically adjusting frame rates, which isn't what this technology does.

in fact, the technology discussed in this thread sounds like they're talking about this patent. http://www.google.com/patents/US8334857

It seems to me that AMD will end up paying royalties to the holder of the patent dealing with dynamic refresh rates. namely nV.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    O wise Vorlon, too many people love their brand deathmatches! :p

12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    And you exist to buy their products because you're too lazy to make them yourself.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    We all knew GSync was a crock the second we heard of it.

14. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    Yeah right,u knew!/facedesk

15. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    You are right mate, I know that, it's just silly that the forum is full of it instead of something constructive. Anyway I really like the way you called it. BRAND DEATHMATCH! :) :rpg:

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Agreed, but while Corporations dont have any morals, I do. As such, im no longer taking a hit to the wallet when the newest piece of old tech get re-released and milked.

Im just in the state of mind that the enthusiast PC market is almost irrelevant to itself, by that i mean, what PC specific titles and how many are released on PC each year, that can actually use our hardware for its sole purpose of being more powerful than a console, while still being a great game in general.

As of the last 5 or so years, my PC has felt more like a custom console that has a PC/windows emulator on it, due to all the console ports I've played vs the amount of PC games.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  17. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    just ignore, anyways some of the things you read, mostly users opinions that they put off as gospel, some those are funny as hell.
    read the comment, look left to sig, then move on. some of the best have their sig hidden.

18. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Bit more here :-

http://techreport.com/news/25867/amd-could-counter-nvidia-g-sync-with-simpler-free-sync-tech