First rumours GK110(GeForce 700)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Funky Doodle, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Funky Doodle

Funky Doodle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD 5830 1GB
  2. Rickyy

Rickyy Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 hawk
    Wasn't that the chip that the GTX680 was meant to be but TMSC (or something) had too much trouble with the yields or some different fabrics that they released the GTX680 as a high end card while it really is a midrange chip like the GTX560ti?

3. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    here we go again :)

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The 'listenpreis' (at a 'guess', 'list price' :p is probably correct with the $$$, it does sound rather pricey!

5. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    What is "Geforce 700"? GK110 = GTX 685.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Just like the 580 was the 485 right?

7. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    What? As far as I know GK110 will be named GTX 685. What does GTX 580 have to do with any of that?

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    full kepler doubt that going to be a 685 that denotes a little better performance than a 680

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    With each new architecture, Nvidia designs a fullscale chip and scales it down based on necessity. These GPU's are designed over a 4 year period, Nvidia doesn't actually know what the performance of the competition is going to be, or the final performance/power usage of their card until the chip is taped out.

When the 480 was launched at the start of 2010, it was based on the Fermi architecture, but it had various features and cores disabled. At the time most people speculated that a 485 would launch later on that year with the rest of the card enabled - but later that year, the 580 launched with some small improvements, but otherwise the same arch with the whole chip enabled.

The 680 is in the same boat, only nothing is disabled, the chip is completely functional. So if a new chip does come out with the specs that are rumored, it will most likely undergo some slight changes and also get bumped up to a new series being labeled the 780.

Are they going to do this? I don't know - it honestly doesn't make sense to me, I agree with you that they should label it 685 since it's the same architecture, but nvidia has done it in the past, so it's possible.

Edit: 480 = Fermi not kepler =x

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

They will probably bump the number. They probably think people may see the '7' in the HD7xxx range as being newer, or better, so they want to get their cars to '7' as well?... (this is just a stupid guess).

If the specs are true, it will likely to be a single GPU solution in response to the HD7990. A dual GPU version of it, whilst possible, would be far too expensive, draw too much power, and generate too much heat. Reducing the clock speeds so that isn't an issue may hinder its performance to much to justify such a card. Again this is just a guess!

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nvidia can be inconsistent with naming schemes. Look back to the G80 8800gts 640mb. The follow-up to it was the G92 8800gts 512mb. The latter was around 30% faster. It should have been called the 9800gts, but no, they stuck to some old, 'less marketable' name for a new card.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    700 series rumours already? Lol .. just bring it!! :D

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Does it REALLY MATTER how they call it?

Its still scheduled for this year, and 18,000 of new Tesla shall be going straight to ORNL for their Titan supercomputer.

14. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    You know i was thinking. No features disabled on the gtx680 chip, makes you think that the so called gk110 should have the same 1536 cuda cores and only memory bus and other little feature increased. That would mean not a very big improvement over the current gk104.

after all 1536 cuda cores vs. 512(gtx580) it's a pretty big boost.

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    It'll be interesting to see what the GK110 is going to be like, considering the current price points and performance levels of the HD7970 and GTX680. However, if it's being released this year, then it's obviously a refresh, which means that despite the rumored specs, it'll probably be 20% faster than the GTX680 at best.

16. [Drazio]

[Drazio] Guest

GPU:
    -
    ^ Yeah, I have a feeling it won't be much faster with it's rumored 2304 SP compared to GK104's 1536SP (10-15fps more on average and priced at ~$650)

Eh who knows, I'm not bothered by it since it won't be coming out anytime soon (4 months the earliest).

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The GTX 470/480 and GTX 570/580 launched in the same year so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see NVIDIA release a GTX 780 this year.

I can't see them calling the GK110 a GTX 685 though as that makes it sound like only a marginal upgrade from the GTX 680 in the same way that the GTX 285 was over the GTX 280. No doubt it'll be expensive ($700+?) and with those specs, it will run hotter with that rated TDP. Should be a great card though if the GTX 680 is anything to go by.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's still 50% more SPs than the GTX 680 though which will come in handy for shader heavy games. Also the memory bus is supposed to be twice that of the GTX 680 at 512-bits which will help enormously for AA and in games that require more bandwidth such as Metro 2033 and Alien vs. Predator (one review I read commented that the 256-bit memory bus was holding the GTX 680 back). With higher clocks/memory, it could well be 30-50% faster than the GTX 680 in certain games to the extent that it is equivalent to what a dual-GPU card could do (seeing as the 'mid-range' GTX 680 matches AMD's high-end HD 7970)!

19. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    However, the GTX4 series was heavily delayed compared to AMD's HD5k series.

While it's just speculation at this point, it's always possible that we might see the GTX7 series before the end of the year, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If they rush the production of the GTX7 series, then we're looking at marginal gains over the GTX6 series. This is what happened when Nvidia moved from the GTX4 to the GTX5. In most case scenarios, the GTX580 was 10-15% faster than the GTX480 at best. But then again, this is usually the case with most succeeding generations of video cards that use the same architecture as the previous generation. IMHO, if anyone is needing to upgrade, now would be the best time to do it.

20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I've always changed my GPU's based on the games i played...i mean if at some point i wasn't able to play a certain video game on the highest settings possible, then i would change my GPU.

A admit the 680 is a fabulous GPU,but i don't need it for now.

Bring the games that need it and then i'll buy the new NV GPU.Right now i need a new CPU and mobo and i'm still waiting on Ivy Bridge or PileDriver:D