Cheap (less than 450$) PC vs BF4. What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by daltoy, Jun 19, 2014.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    i3-based system over those any time. Plus, you can always upgrade the i3 to an i5 / i7 later on. The i3 is runs cooler, faster.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Unless aiming for at least a 6300 on AMD's side. Otherwise, as per my earlier post I concur.

3. daltoy

daltoy Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 220 (XFX)
    Thank you, yes, this new pc I am building needs: CPU, Video Card, Memory, Motherboard, Power supply.
    Without peripherals, hdd, case, optical drive.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's not a problem, I'd be happy to help if I had a better understanding of your local market, but I'm afraid I don't. So the advice I give is going to be more general. The specs I suggested should be more than attainable though, and I stand by the recommendation. If you're going to build a gaming PC make sure it has a future path of expansion. Otherwise you really are better off just getting a console, which you've stated you're not in a position to do. You can build a really nice budget PC if you do follow my (and others) advice in this regard, and spend that little bit more. If you really can push to the $500 mark it, as I said is more than attainable.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

5. SkippyScourge

SkippyScourge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 TI FTW 2GB
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think the I3 is a horrible suggestion, but it is a little more expensive to start with, and the upgrade path is also alot more expensive, When he feels like spending a bit more on his system, for about $179 he can upgrade to an FX-8350, or he can spend $200+ on a Haswell I5 or far more on a Haswell I7, and how much more performance will either of those gain him in games over an 8350? The answer is little to none........ AMD in my opinion just offers a far more attractive upgrade path for anyone on a budget.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That really does depend on the game, and just as importantly on the applications he runs. I recommended a 6300 myself as start point as I feel it's a great gaming CPU with fantastic application performance. However, I'm an emulation whore and an I5 is better for me in every respect when you hold that in mind. The choice is entirely dependent on the person.

7. SkippyScourge

SkippyScourge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 TI FTW 2GB
    That's very true, but I think we can both agree that for the largest majority of games, comparing AMD and Intel is largely comparing apples to apples, In my opinion CPU is largely just really a non-issue for (current generation) gaming, you'd have to have an extreme gap in CPU power to even notice the difference at all in most games, and I just don't think there's enough of a difference at all from an I3-4130 to an FX-4300 to notice a difference in the vast majority of games, On more CPU intensive games, I think it's going to come down to how threaded they are, the AMD should push out in front of the I3 in more heavily threaded games and apps, because it's a true 4 core vs the I3s hyperthreading, the I3 should smash the AMD in games that aren't threaded, due to better single core performance.

On a side note, I'll have to load all my emulators on this machine and let my I5 have a go at 'em, I'm used to running emulators on my old AMD system, after what you said, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised at how they perform on my I5. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Most definitely, and I do agree with you in the large sense. One thing I do differ on is the 4300 choice, but that's very minor really. I wouldn't use anything less than a 6300, but then the price difference here is so minor it'd be insane to go for a 4300 over a 6300. I think we're both pretty much on the same page par a few minor opinions. If the OP is willing to spring to that 500 buck budget I think he can build a solid system with a good future upgrade path.

9. SkippyScourge

SkippyScourge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 TI FTW 2GB
    Spending a little more would definitely be preferable, but that might not be possible in his case, from the OP, I get the impression that his government controls their citizens online spending very strictly, so if he can't find a few parts locally, spending more, simply might not be possible.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Hopefully he can come to a happy medium. My main concern is that he can put something together with a future upgrade path, which I fully believe he can for a $500 budget.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    How? He can drop in an i7 at any time. The 8350 is also a huge power hog which may be an issue for someone in a place where electricity is expensive.

He can afford a brand new Devil's Canyon based i3 and board, and that's what he should get.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    The intel option has a very good upgrade path. He could buy a better i5 or i7 later on. Dont think an amd cpu mb is a good idea with its upgrade ability path.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    There is no upgrade path AMD wise. AM3+ has been out for ages and likely won't be receiving any more processors. 1150 has a long life ahead of it. Not to mention in many games the i3 will actually beat a stock 8350 anyway.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Depends on the game, and I wouldn't buy an 8350 either way. The 8320 is identical and costs less, will clock pretty much the same. Regardless, I'd go the Intel path as I need the single threaded performance. You're limited in upgrades either way.

15. SkippyScourge

SkippyScourge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 TI FTW 2GB
    Look, no offense, but given the option of being stuck with an I3 seeing as Intels high prices leave anyone on a strict budget with no real upgrade path, or having an upgrade path to an 8350, I'd take the AMD option every single time.... now, if you can afford to start out with something a little better on the Intel end, such as an I5, then go for it, but who wants to be stuck with a dual core I3 in an age where more cores ARE starting to be utilized........ Let's leave brand loyalty bias out of the conversation, both AMD and Intel CPUs have their place........... This generation I chose Intel, and I'm happy with my decision, but if an I3 was the only Intel option in front of me, I would have went AMD instead, sorry, but when it comes to bang for your buck, AMD just wins.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    exactly 0 upgrade path, I wouldnt recommend an 8320/50 cus thats as good as its going to get, save up some cash in the future and toss a i5/i7 quad core in the future 1150 got plenty of life left.

17. SkippyScourge

SkippyScourge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 TI FTW 2GB
    I guess the FX-9370/9590 don't count for anything? By the way, what good is an upgrade path going to do you when you can't afford the chip you would like to upgrade to? You guys seem to be overlooking one very important detail.... price and budget, what good is it gonna do someone that their board can support the latest I7 if it costs $700, and all they got is $200?

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Not really. A socket 1150 mb costs 700?

19. SkippyScourge

SkippyScourge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 TI FTW 2GB
    Do I detect a bit of fan boy?

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I'll tell you what. I have owned way more amd cpu than intel. When somebody cannot argue a case properly then the word fanboy comes out. So a budget 1150 board will cost 700 bucks?