GeForce GTX 460 SLI review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't think its a secret the Nvidia is very aggresive when it comes to marketing, this is what puts people off, but its one of the things i like about them, i've never had time for passive companies.

Im my time here at Guru3D, i've noticed no shortage of people who speak their mind, that certainly isn't a problem here, and as far as i know ATI are not getting ready to release anything.

Can't wait to see more 1gb results in SLI, as much as the 768mb one looks great, im not willing to downgrade in GPU memory, especially when this GTX260 frequently runs out as it is.

2. Unluckydove

Unluckydove Banned

GPU:
    Asus Ares ATI HD 5970
    So you are saying to me if you were someone who bought a gtx 465 for 230 £ and then find out after two weeks only that they have a new card 80 £ cheaper and has the same performance that you like their marketing policy. Unbelievable

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Thats the name of the game when it comes to PC hardware.

If it isn't obsolete by the time you get it home, then you got lucky.

People knew this card was coming when the GTX465 arrived, and they also knew it was based on GF104, if people base purchases based on higher or lower numbers, then they deserve what they get.

4. Unluckydove

Unluckydove Banned

GPU:
    Asus Ares ATI HD 5970
    I don’t know about you but us Londoners we call that a plain rip-off, in the UK we have been ripped-off for so long now and we are fed up of it and its time that we speak up, they told us windows 7 was going to be amazing, what a load of rubbish and it just keeps going on, you can stay all day glorifying NVIDIA on this forum but I will always expose those how prey on people’s ignorance until you band me from your forums and then that will tell the whole story about people speaking their minds.

5. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    lol :stewpid: an ATI conspiracy theorist, how original. It has been known all along that the gf104 would be much improved. have more TMUs, overclock higher and consume less power, they never kept a secret to screw people over hilbert posted that he got the 460's to over 900mhz core a few days before release and the general specs were known long before.

You blame Nvidia for ununformed consumers...you know...the kind of uninformed consumer that buys a 980x and will cry next year when a mid range chip at 1/3rth of the price outperforms it...or people who buy a 5000 series card later this year before the refresh...or people that buy a 400 series card later this year..again, before the refresh, as redemption said this is how the industry goes.

6. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    He bought an Ares, hypocrite...

7. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Surely there aren't people stupid enough to buy one when you can tri-fire 5870's..for less.

Shame on ATI for lying to him :S

...because it's their fault when someone buys their products not knowning about alternatives... * borrowing his logic for a moment *

8. Unluckydove

Unluckydove Banned

GPU:
    Asus Ares ATI HD 5970
    Thank god that there is AMD & ATI in the market otherwise NVIDIA will be selling you the same cards for five years on and you will be saying to them thank you guys for ripping us off we love it most of the people I know in LONDON which were NVIDIA fans for years are switching to ATI product because of NVIDIA’s marketing policies, even our major hardware magazine CUSTOM PC recommends AIT graphics in all categories low, mid, and high because they base their reviews on performance vs. Price. You need to face the truth we have been waiting six months for NVIDIA’s new cards and they come up with the gtx 478 & 480 which heat up to 98 degrees on full load and sound like a Hoover and that’s by your own words not mine and then they come up with the gtx 465 to finish off the rip-off and then to patch up the mess they actually come up with something that actually is worth buying the gtx 460. fantastic , I’ve got only one guy which will never buy only NVIDIA cards and he said to me yesterday NOW THEY HAVE REALLY DONE IT, WHAT A MESS ,as for the computer I use my company bought and chose the components I had nothing to do with it and even them they chose ATI for a high-end graphic card.

9. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Yeah no one is reading the B.S you write, I am immune to propaganda you see, especially from someone with fake specs railing on about being ripped off.

Are you C.D by any chance...

10. Canerw

Canerw Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XXX glouglou
    For those who search a test with GTX 460 1024mb in sli, there it is:

Clubic.com

11. Unluckydove

Unluckydove Banned

GPU:
    Asus Ares ATI HD 5970
    I’m quite surprised that you allow name calling in your forums I have never use the word hypocrite or attacked anyone personally and just the fact that you are suggesting that there is nobody reading my posts shows how open minded you are and how willing you are to accept other people’s opinions but that just shows the high level of standards you have and as for your suggesting to use tri-cross fire with the 5870’s which will consume a huge amount of power and generate a huge amount of heat and noise and will have loads of driver issues rather than use a single card just shows how experienced you are in the hardware field. Usually when I get this type of response because I write in my own local newspaper it means I’m beginning to hit people’s pockets. That is definitely not what I want, my aim for these posts is to keep thing balanced because one day last week I was reading your review on the ASUS ARES 5970 and you claimed that it was very noisy which really surprised me and there were a lot of people telling you in the forums that day that they have been reading several reviews and nobody claimed it was noisy, I have had the card for a few days now and even when I play crisys maxed out the card is very quiet so I decided to register with your forums and try and put things in a little balance. In the UK we are proud of our press because it is free when our football team did badly in the world cup most of the public attacked the manager (he is from Italy) because that is the easiest thing to do but there was several newspapers that said hold on guys it’s not his fault it’s the players they didn’t perform well and we ended up keeping the manager my point is as a respected website you should allow the freedom of views in you posts because it serves the general interest. I know your are sponsored by a lot of companies that wouldn’t like only one way traffic but you should be true to your self’s, the main problem with our world now is that the word truth has no more value any more. Believe me it is in all our interests. Best of wishes to you all.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  12. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    One.

Two.

Three.

Four. Five. Six.

Thirteen.

Best of wishes to you as well. :)

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Um dove, are you talking to me ... ? Hint use the return key every once in a while.

Now, I have not even written in this thread as of yet so really .. are you talking to me or do you have someone else confused ? That doesn't mean we didn't spot you (we as in moderators) ever since you signed on there seems to be this weird vibe with you.

Mate, if you don't like it here, please move on. Thanks and best of luck to you too !

14. hoger

hoger Active Member

GPU:
    Asus gtx 260 matrix
    Hilbert, did you notice more fluctuation with the SLI setup? Or maybe hiccups which people sometimes describe as microstutter.

In the sli review of gtx 460 which Hardocp has written, they mention that the games were running more fluent on single card solutions than the sli gtx 460 setup, even though fraps showed higher average fps with the sli setup compared to single card setup (gtx 480).

I realise people pay attention to different things when playing games, and maybe you are not as sensitive to this phenomenom called microstutter, but please tell me how the feel of the games were when you tested the sli gtx 460 setup.

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    actually this guy had a point. didnt help some people winding him up. still he shouldnt have lost his rag.

oh well :)

but it's not just re hardware that we can be ripped off. but we all know this no?

at the end of they day u do your research and if you dont like a certain companies product dont buy it.

i will think very long and hard about buying an nvidia card in the future. but if it's like the 460 then i'll be tempted...

16. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think I won't be able to wait for 1GB review anymore - th eperspective of getting 2x 1GB from Gigabyte is too tempting.

What do you guys think? Will this cooler work in SLI or not?
    I have Rampage II Extreme, so there will be no free slot between cards.

17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Yeah sorry have not had the time for it just yet. But I can already tell you that the perf difefernce are close to NIL.

In the long run though my money would be on the 1GB version just to be a little more future proof with the 1 GB partitions and of course the 8 extra ROPs.

18. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks, Hilbert

One more thing, if I can ask.. you tested EVGA cards with EVGA board, which had 1 extra slot between them - do you think that Gigabyte cards (or other brand) will be ok to run side-by-side with no free slot between them?

I'm worried that:
    1. The temperature will be really bad.
    2. I won't be able to remove the shroud.

I have Silverstone Raven, which can provide plenty of air, but if the cooler is too thick and unmoddable, I have a problem. In other case, ordering 2x Gigabyte today (got good offer, almost the same price as 768 model). Eventually, I could look for other brand if Gigabytes are not sandwiched-SLI-compatible.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  20. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for the info.
    My mobo looks like that:
    [​IMG]
    Just now the blue slots are taken by 260's and the PCI-e to the left is used by Xonar D2X, so there's no room to move these cards around. The problem with SLI is that once you try it, it's hard to switch to single card, and while 460's are affordable for me, 480 costs a little too much and is noisy, and 490 will cost arm and leg, and a kidney.
    I could eventually try adding ducts and removing the shroud while keeping fans in place. What to do? What to do? :D