HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Just sent a message to Ati via their report system,

I advise all those with issues to do the same, doesn't take long.

It reads,

"I'm running a resolution of 2560 x 1440, single display, dvi-d. At idle 150/300 i always see flickering in the Windows 8 metro interface, this happens when i'm switching between preview screenshots in the store, or if clicking forward/backward in metro apps. The artifacts/flickering only happen for a brief moment, usually when there's a tiny bit of load on the card.

I assume that the 150/300/0.8v'ish (around) doesn't suffice, as cracking the memory to 650mhz, wheres volts increase to 0.9v'ish, eliminates the visual artifacts.

So for now I have to live with editing overdrives cfg file, forcing the idle memory to 650mhz, and using afterburner to supply my card with manual fan support.

This isn't only a Windows 8 problem, it happened with Windows 7, primarily on the desktop. Also upon startup i would see tearing, again the 150/300/0.8v clock is too low to power my 1440p screen.

Not isolated to one card, it has happened with a Msi oc 7970, and gigabyte x3 windforce oc 7970.

Your 12.11 beta 5's kept the idle memory clock at full throttle, also fixing the artifacts, however temps were increased by 10c, not good.

12.11 beta 6's/7's, memory is back to 150mhz again, and the visual defects in metro are back.

In many games this fluctuation of volts causes black artifacts to flash on screen form a brief flash.

Please review this has many people are returning their cards.

At higher resolutions why not put a setting in Overdrive to increase memory speeds/volts, to compensate.

I hope you eliminate this issue soon as I'll be returning back to Nvidia when the next series arrive. "

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Why not use Afterburner to increase voltage?

4. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Easiest way to do that would be?

Afterburner doesn't allow my idle 2d clocks to go as low as 300/650 if enabling voltage control. Without voltage control enabled, using official overclocking I can reduce it to 300/650. I've tried both official and unofficial modes, just doesn't give total freedom to the idle 2d clock.

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Mainmango, that's NOT the dx9 artifact issue.
    Your problem is the scene is becoming transparent/not rendering in certain frames. If you pause it ,you can actually see "background" buildings (things you cant enter) during the artifacts. This is a DIFFERENT issue. Not sure why its happening but that's not the 'dx9 artifact" problem.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Adjusting voltage in AB shouldn't affect the GPU clocks...the other thing you could do is flash the BIOS with one that has higher default voltage.

I found a BIOS on TPU with 0.95v vgpu instead of 0.80v.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  7. maxpain12

maxpain12 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950
    I have a Sapphire HD 7950 OC; my neighbor also purchased this same card. His card had the black smudge artifact appearing randomly and RMA'd the card. Mine has what I would say texture tearing where the texture on some surfaces would flicker at times. This card is factory OC'd to 900Mhz GPU core. After bumping it down to 850Mhz the problem reduced, but only after reducing the GPU clock to 800Mhz did it help. I have seen posts where some overclockers get around this issue by increasing the GPU voltage incrementally.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  8. mainmango

mainmango Guest

GPU:
    MSI / 7950 / 3GB
    Let me know if anyone has tried playing around with the voltage! I'm an OC newb so I'm scared to damage my baby :(

9. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Didn't you guys read the other pages? It has nothing to do with overclocking. If so your problem is a different one. You can downclock to 300/600 the issue will happen. Also raising vcore doesn't make a difference.

10. fasor

fasor Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GForce 750Ti 2Gb

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Which problem?

12. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    The Dx9 flickering artifact issue.

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    per AMD rep, beta 9 is not supposed to fix flickering, they are still looking into it.

14. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    come on Pill you can do better than that. That doesn't help your reputation of beeing a troll. The whole topic is about flickering.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You don't know a damned thing about my rep, newbie - so STFU.

16. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    you make me smile

17. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Any news about a fix?

18. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I should check if I have any issues with any DX 9 games in windows 7.....

Most of my DX 9 games are installed on sturdy and stable XP...no issues yet.

The only game i have installed in Win 7, that is DX 9, might be the Assassins Creed Series...
    (excluding the DX 10.1 game i think A1 was DX 10.1)

I'll check that out right now...

19. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Hmm, on this note, has anyone did a comparision of flickering between Windows XP and Windows 7/8/Vista/any Kernel 6.0+ OS? The display driver model in use between XP and higher-than-XP OS's is pretty significant.

20. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx

it doesn't happen on every game. And i think it has to be DX9c i tried Ut 2004 which is DX9b - no issues.