Windows 9 launches November 2014 Already

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2013.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I personally hate Windows but I'd have to agree - Windows 7 isn't an unstable mess anymore. However, viruses are a problem that is mostly Windows' fault, and on that note I strongly disagree with those who say Windows is so virus-prone due to popularity. That's a factor, but not enough of one. Windows 7 is good proof of that considering it is incomparably safer than XP (even with UAC off), and it is very popular. Also, tablets/smartphones aren't very virus prone either, and most of those who do get infected tend to use outdated OSes or rooted OSes.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol .. I know. It was tongue in cheek.

3. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S

4. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    For 19.99 bucks, i'm cool with it.
    No way i would pay more (even 20.00$) than that (19.99) for an OS coming every year or 2.

Seriously i can't remember the last virus i had on my system and i'm a windows user since ages.
    This whole "windows catches so much viruses" is a total bull...
    It's all about the person in front of the monitor...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

5. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    ^I agree, the best antivirus is "Don´t be an idiot 2013".

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    You should market that slogan. It's very much the truth and the best AV out there too.

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm using the free Microsoft Security Essentials + not beeing an idiot, as it's light and not cumbersome as some others.

8. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    And not as secure as some others!! Did you not see this article:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371810

9. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    You forget the Elephant in the room. People. While swishing screens around may look cool on minority report, when someone needs to get real work done, a tablet with Apps is not what they need no matter how fast it may be. Also, when you generalize that business people would rather work on a touch tablet device than a real interface device. That is totally untrue. If you want proof, let me know exactly how many businesses plan to switch over to Windows 8? Yes things will get smaller and desktops will likely be replaced by laptops but touch screen devices are never going to be able to replace a powerful laptop with keyboard.

10. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Those comparisons are.....
    I'll quote Dave Chappelle:

"Pepsi, Coke, if you wanna know the truth ....can't even taste the difference.
    All i know Pepsi paid me more reasonably, so....it tastes better. It's pretty much how the things go." :)

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You're making the assumption that every device needs processing in order for it to be used. That's now how I, or most of the tech companies envision it. You come to work, you lay your phone on the desk. Wireless charging built into the pad or desk or whatever charges the phone. NFC tells the phone to Bluetooth to the keyboard/mouse and Miracast to the one or two monitors in front of you. Even Samsung Knox makes this more possible from a security standpoint. Laptops will be the same way. Dumb-Terminal getting power from a portable device. You can make the unit as thin as you want because the processing power will be from someplace else.

It even gets more interesting when you think about it. In the future, say 10-20 years from now, where does the processing power even come from? Is it the phone? Can it be as small as a watch? or some other device that sits in your pocket and feeds processing to all the other devices? Will it be embedded inside you? All this tech is not as far away as one may think.

12. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Well, with what Windows 8 is, Windows 9 can't came soon enough. Unless they mess it up as well.

Oh, and the PC will recede into a niche, true, but it certainly won't die. The next big need for powerful machines will arise when 4k displays find their way into gaming. That will be a brutal lot of pixels to push. And now imagine surround setups with that :) Maybe polygon based rendering will be replaced by raytracing, that also needs power.

Well, that's gaming. There's of course also the workplace, where massively powerful workstations are and will be required.

13. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Corporate/office/work environment won't keep up with the latest Windows. Windows 9 launching late November 2014 just screwed that large bunch of users that still use XP, which will be End of Life April 8, 2014. My bet now is they'll go Windows 7 and will completely skip 8 or 9. Wonderful marketing strategy MS.

That's not the case anymore of "don't visit shady sites or download shady stuff and you'll be fine". Viruses these days can come from legit websites that are compromised or an exploit that relies on outdated plugins or zero days.

But, I'd also add to that, just because a file comes up clean from Virus Total, doesn't mean it's safe either. I've found cases where malicious sites weren't even detected but maybe by 1-3 things.

14. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Steady down the hill.

15. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    Almost choked. Indeed.

16. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    I also recently read an article/test recently and out of 90+ 'bleeding edge' viruses, only ~15 were (collectively) detected. MSE came in last. I mean, having an AV is sometimes better than nothing (mostly for the less experienced), but as long as you only visit trusted sites with a good browser (java/scripts disabled if you want be even more secure), and avoid cracks/warez... you should be fine.

In my case, I'm usually reformatting on a weekly basis so I don't even bother with MSE anymore.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    More and more companies that need "massively powerful workstations"....are using remote servers for a lot of their processing needs.

People talk about 4K displays like they're going to be mainstream next week, when the truth is that it's going to take years for them to even gain traction in the market. By the time they became mainstream, even a cellphone GPU will be able to drive them with relatively little effort.

The industry is changing. Dockable tablets and even cellphones are coming. In fact, there's already a company doing exactly this with Windows Phone 8. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple take interest in this as well.

Where once PDAs were a niche product, the desktop computer will be in the next 10-20 years. The industry isn't about what enthusiasts want, but rather what the masses want....and the masses want innovation and portability. The desktop computer will eventually die and there's nothing we can do about it.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I can already hear the horror cries from basically every IT department out there. You don't want yearly upgrades to Windows, every time Microsoft changes Windows, it breaks something, even patches are known to break software running on Windows (happened several times at my co-op place alone, they had to test every patch because they can break their software). So this would be a terrible model for businesses.

Even companies relying on Linux rather have a 2 year upgrade gap (in the case of Ubuntu) with a 5 year support per release.

deltatux

19. bucknuts21

bucknuts21 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB
    I'll be very glad to see a new OS next year, I just hope this doesn't become a every year thing. Maybe with the next OS Microsoft will remember not everyone spends all there time on facebook an twitter all day, people still do work, play games, video editing and many other things on a PC. I love my Windows 8 phone, and really don't mind 8 on my laptop but will be going back to Windows 7 on my desktop tomorrow.

20. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    I seriously doubt desktops are going to disappear, there is no way in hell I'm going to pay for a subscription to use my damn computer. The day I am forced to use a crappy dockable tablet where everything is cloud based is the day I stop using computers altogether. I do not like cloud computing, cloud gaming, or cloud anything. I don't give a rats ass about portability. I prefer to own my very own PC with it's own storage, microchips and whatever. I am not comfortable with my personal information being stored somewhere where I have no idea where it is, or if it's even safe. I feel that if the desktop PC went away, there so would alot of the openness it has. So yeah, the day I can't buy my own PC is the day I start living life again the way I did without it.