DVI-HDMI with LCD samsung TV (no sound)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Deleted member 109358, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Hello guys.

Ive just hooked up my pc to my tv. Im getting great picture byt no sound. Heres tge ryn round..

dvi-hdmi adapter into hdmi2 as designated by tv manufacturer for use in pc mode.

Creative x-fi titanium fatility.

Latest drivers etc. Niw in sound options theres no hdmi icon, just speakers and spdif. Ive also checked " show disabelef devices" still no hdmi audio.

My gpu has a spdif connector, but i cant find a label for spdif on my soundcard anywhere.

Im using wireless headset atm but audio with tv speakers would be better. So whats my options guys?

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. bradu

bradu Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 540M
    You can not have sound to your TV using PC's DVI output. The DVI output carries only video signal. If you have HDMI output on your Graphics card, connect that to have sound

3. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    @bradu, Yes you can, @OP just connect it and in nvidia control panel under digital audio, change it there, then make it default device in speaker properties :)
    Should work then and make sure on the tv, that the settings are all right...

regards,
    RagDoll.

4. Ragdoll, so your saying that i can keep my DVI to HDMI adapter cinbected to my GPU and all ive got to do is change it in nvidia control settings? Im not sure if i installed the digital audio component when i installed the gpu drivers, ill check that.

And in relation to speaker proterties you mean sound manager? Because i dont get a HDMI tv icon in my sound manager nor is it in disabled options. If you could clarify that please..

5. GMtm

GMtm Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    I can confirm it does work via the GFX card vendor supplied DVI-HDMI convertor, but I haven't tried passing through audio from a dedicated card, just using the NVIDIA forceware audio driver at the moment.

6. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Yes, I've had mine hooked up like that and it does also passthrough audio :)

Install the latest nvidia drivers and then in control panel, you will see the digital audio section. It's just a matter of getting the right settings...

regards,
    RagDoll.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What GPU are you using?
    The EVGA Co-Op cards were just GTX2xx card if I remember correctly, and as far as I know only budget GT200 cards could support audio over DVI/HDMI.

If the GPU as a SPDIF connector I’m guessing it will only pass through audio rather than processing the audio itself, so you will have to find where the SPDIF out on your soundcard is.

If not, then you’re out of luck, or as an alternative you could run a 3.5 to RCA cable from the soundcard to the TV, which should work fine if your using HDMI2.

8. Thanks for the replys all, its great. To answer afew things, ive got a gtx295 evga (single pcb). I think when i installed the display drivers, i choose not to install nvidia audio drivers, would the be a possibility? And hence why theres no audio or hdmi icon in sound manager? Ive got the latest display drivers ill see if the option to install audio is there.

Yeah theres nothing on the soundcard that says sdpif, just a row of pins etc.

I may have to look at the RCA option however.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, don't think it will be possible on a 295 withouth connector the audio to the GPU, maybe look to see if your m/board audio has that option.

Even if you don't install the Nvidia HD Audio driver, if you have that feature it would still have the audio show up in Device Manager, can't remember exactly but on a 460 and 570 it shows up as something like 4 High Definition Audio devices.

The RCA option if you do go that route should work fine, it did when I was using my GTX260 on my old Samsung TV, and any sound quality difference (if any) won't be noticed on TV speakers.

10. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI

11. Redemption: yeah im not overly concerned about the audio being top notch; id just like to to be simple and relativly clear.

Ragdoll: thanks so much for doing the research and everything. That all sounds good and would appear to work, except for one thing. My motherboard doesnt have a spdif port or place to connect the cable.

This is because the m/board came with a x-fi sound card that has the spdif connector on it. I no longer use that because ive got a better one.

I may just choose RCA, i dont want that but if its the only thing that works, then so be it.

Thanks again guys for the thoughfull ideals/ solutions.

12. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, on the side of your supreme fx x-fi, there is a group of 4 pins called digital audio connector, refer to your motherboard manual. I think the spdif cable can be connected to there :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

13. Gday mate. Yeah the supreme x-fi sound card that comes with the motherboard does have that spdif cinnector, but ive taken that sound card out and replaced it with a better soundcard, which to my knowledge only supports spdif.coalix connectors, which are near the other sound and audio jackswhich is why a spdif cable wont work. And my mother board doesnt have a spdif connector either...so pretty much outta options.

14. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    What's the make and model of your current soundcard? You could also put both soundcards in I think :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  15. The exact soundcard i got raggie is a creative SB x-fi fatality. Its got 2 external optical spdif outputs, but i cannot use those because my tv only supports a single spdif output slot. The reason why i stopped using my supreme x-fi card was i think i couldnt get drivers for it un 64bit format.

But look if an RCA cable will fix it then im happy. Im not looking for blisteringly clear audio, just decent. Thanks again chief.

16. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Ok, hopefully you can do this, connect the spdif cable to the upper set of pins on the x-fi fatality like this:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If your x-fi has a cover over the card, you might want to just settle for hooking it up to the green speaker jack to your tv's red and white rca. For that you will need a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2rca cable.

Good luck,
    RagDoll.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  17. Ok. So I went out this morning and picked up a RCA cables to be procise a 3.5mm plug to 2RCA plug :). Plugged that into the green jack on my soundcard then into a slot next to my PC HDMI cables called DVI(HDMI2) which has under it 2 audio ports red and white. still no audio.

I know theres something missing because in windows sound manager the green sound bars are moving theres just no sound. So I dunno weither i have to change a setting in creative control panel or windows sound manager. I would have thought i would have to enable Line-In, in windows sound manager...but thats greyed out :$....seriously hate computers.

18. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Does your tv have a vga/dsub jack? You will need to plug the audio next to there. I forgot about this because the hdmi/dvi jack thinks that you're putting the audio just through hdmi... :(

don't worry, we will get it to work somehow...

19. Hey mate. Um yeah its got a VGA video connector and right next to that its got a 3.5mm audio (pc in) jack. Now when i plug a single 3.5mm - 3.5mm cable into that then into the green jack on my sound card still nudda.

20. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I was worried about that, it's because the tv thinks that you're using the vga jack from your graphics card. Just as a test, try on your tv remote to change the av setting to pc and see if there's audio but no video.