Looking for advice with a new build

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by 8tE1GH7, Jul 14, 2013.

1. 8tE1GH7

8tE1GH7 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 470
    Can't decide on picking parts.

Corsair 550D case
    MSI Z87 Mpower Or GIGABYTE Z87X UD5H Motherboard ???
    I5 4670k
    Kraken X40 cooler
    G.Skill Sniper Series RAM 16GB @2133
    770, or 760s SLI or 8970 (upon release) ????
    Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    Corsair HX750w or 850w PSU ???
    Thanks

2. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    There is no 8970, AMD will be releasing their 9 series later this year. 770 vs 760 SLi isn't really a comparison, since there's a huge price difference ($400 vs 2x $300) 780 vs 760 SLi is more of a price comparison. Personally, I like to get the fastest single card I can for the price point that I want to be at, though 760 SLi is faster than a single 780.

3. 8tE1GH7

8tE1GH7 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 470
    So no 8000 series, that's kind of ****ed up. Any thoughts on a motherboard?

4. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    I've never used an MSI board, so don't know. Get the Gigabyte, or Asus, or Asrock.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If you don't need things like WIFI and other features you never use, but want to achieve a nice and stable OC for your CPU. Then get the board i have, the Gigabyte Z87X-OC.

If you do want all that then still get the Gigabyte one :p

And 750 Watts on PSU is more than enough. If you plan to SLI/Crossfire get 850 so it doesn't get loaded so much.

6. 8tE1GH7

8tE1GH7 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 470
    OK I read some reviews on this board and its all pretty positive, Have you ever had any issues with it or just things you don't like about the board? Hows the GIGABYTE "EasyTune" software and their UEFI BIOS? Just curious if you have the FORCE version.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Use the BIOS to overclock not easytune . I like ASUS but GA is OK, anything except MSI/Biostar or ECS lol

btw in last few months there have been many threads on G3D from owners of faulty Corsair PSU's. SO I can't recommend Corsair anymore.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'd go with the Z87-PRO. I can't stand Gigabyte, their products have always failed me. And overclock in bios, as said above.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    EasyTune gotten a big update for the Intel 8 Series. It got a lot better coming from EasyTune 6. I personally don't OC with software, i only use ET to setup a CPU Fan Profile.

The BIOS is pretty easy to use, you can switch between Classic and Windowed Mode which is the fancy orange look for the board. I currently use Classic myself, tho some options only show up in Windowed Mode.

I'm just using the OC model. The Force is for people who go Triple SLI because it has a PLX Chip. Since i'm a single GPU user spending 400 Euros on a board is throwing away money.

Keep in mind that the CPU Socket is pretty close to the first PCI-E Slot, i ran into an small problem myself with the CPU Cooler. Was only able to orientate it as shown below, or i couldn't fit the Videocard :) I had to get Low Profile memory to make it work. But i'm getting great cooling results like this, if not better than flipping it sideways.

[​IMG]

10. 8tE1GH7

8tE1GH7 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 470
    Thanks for all the reply's, you guys definitely pointed me in the right direction. The Gigabyte Z87X-OC is a real possibility, I also found the ASUS Maximus VI Hero to have some nice features for a reasonable price. I'm still undecided but I just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. I think it will come down to who has the better customer service/warranty.