Can't Update AMD Driver...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LuckyDeath, Apr 19, 2012.

1. LuckyDeath

LuckyDeath Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 5870 (x2)
    So I try to play BF3 and I get a random message telling me that I am not on latest AMD display drivers... which is weird because I just updated them (the message tells me I am on 11.5).

So I decide to download them again and reinstall to be sure. During installation I get an error message when it tries to update the display driver and the HDMI/DP Audio Driver:
    "Driver Install: the installation failed Driver Install: the INF file was not found"

I decide to start from scratch. I shut down, and remove my 2nd 5870 (I run two of them in crossfire). I boot up into safemode, run Driver Sweeper, clean my registry, and uninstall drivers in device manager. Reboot, and I try to install the single 5870 all by itself. I get the same error message.

I have read of a work around of going into device manager, locating the driver manually, and installing them. But this also would not work, when I browse to the Driver folder in CCC, I get an error message:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element."

I've redone the above process a few times and I keep ending up with the same result. I've tried older versions of CCC as well (11.9,12.1, etc) and still the same problem.

Anyone know of a way to fix this?

2. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    Was this working fine until recently?

What make and model is your motherboard? Does your motherboard have built-in (on board) audio/or video outputs? This can cause conflicts.

3. LuckyDeath

LuckyDeath Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 5870 (x2)
    As far as I know it was working just fine.

I did recently clean out my case, and decided to swap the configuration of my two 5870's. The one I had on the bottom I moved to the top instead, for better airflow.

One 5870 is a Sapphire Eyefinity 2GB edition, the other is a standard 1GB.

My motherboard is an Asus P8P67 Pro... so no onboard video. It does have integrated 7.1 Audio.

For what its worth, the cards seem to be functioning. I have managed to get Windows to install a driver update from 'Windows Update'. Its not the latest drivers, but I can play games... but probably not the best optimization, especially with my crossfire. :3eyes:

4. LuckyDeath

LuckyDeath Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 5870 (x2)
    Still looking for a solution... anyone have any suggestions? Thanks...

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Go into task manager and stop all non-windows processes. If the processes are not stopped, there will be more driver dlls left behind after uninstalling through control panel. Then uninstall catalyst through control panel. There will be left over ATI and AMD folders under the Program Data folder and the Users folders. Then will need to delete all the non-amd-chipset dlls associated with catalyst if running a mainboard with an amd chipset. After that then run CCleaner. When scanning the register with CCleaner make sure to run it more than once to make sure all registry entries it detects are all deleted. Then run System Ninja to get the remaining folders and files hiding under the recycle bin. If you're comfortable with working with redgedit, perform a search for ati and amd to find all the remaining registry entries left behind. Make sure you backup the registry on a flash drive before though. It is a lengthy process but will allow you to install Catalyst without issue. Here is a list of not so obvious dlls that are missed by both atiman and driver sweeper that is supplied by catalyst under system32 and sysWow64 folders: amdocl64, amdpcom64, OpenCL (both folders), OpenVideo64, OVDecode64, amdocl, amdpcom32, OpenVideo, and OVDecode.

6. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X
    google it, atiman last version and use!!! reinstall last drivers version with cap12.3...I hope you fix!!

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I had this issue after I did a complete clean out of the ATI drivers when I re-installed the 12.4 / 8.960 drivers as I received my 7970 card to replace the 6970 I had.

Turns out it meant the HD Audio component and the drivers worked just fine anyway and that audio component got some function via some Microsoft provided drivers even so, anyway after doing a reinstall of the drivers and rebooting I could install that component manually and everything worked as it should that time.

Unsure what actually caused it, couldn't find any proper info while googling around, only some vague estimations and odd tips on how to do that and this which wasn't very helpful.

EDIT: Didn't use any utilities while cleaning out the drivers either but instead removed all traces manually by checking what those utilities actually remove. (It's actually very easy, it's also quite surprising how much can be left over after doing a complete uninstall but it matters little since the reinstall will replace most anything other than custom profiles and some reg entries and normally they won't cause a problem though there's certainly no harm in being thorough when installing drivers either that's for certain.)

8. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X
    all new driver amd, need clean install, all new hardware need clean install, I recomend use atiman, this program clean deep, reg and files in win.

9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    dont forget to open device manager & show hidden devices, could be a mess of installed versions that confused bf3?