What's wrong with the Crucial M4 010G Firmware and why hasn't it been fixed ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. crzilla25

crzilla25 Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660
    not to spoil but i think crucial already warn to uefi user back then that's also the reason i don't upg my firm.
    and now they warned uefi user:
    UEFI-based Systems: During validation of this firmware update we noticed instances where our update tools do not recognize the SSD with some systems using UEFI. The target device is not recognized as an updateable device during the reboot process. If this happens, the firmware update will not occur, and you’ll retain the firmware version you started with. Windows will then restart normally. If this sequence occurs, you cannot upgrade to this firmware version at this time, but you’ve done no harm to your system (or your data).

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact our Technical Support department.
    just be patient & hope for the best.......

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You need to read that a little more carefully -- If the firmware update does not occur or the update tools do not recognize the SSD on systems with UEFI ... then how have so many people been able to successfully update the firmware on an UEFI system in the first place ?

Ours is UEFI ... that wasn't detected ... the firmware flashed, result: the SSD ended almost bricked.

4. duntuk

duntuk Member

Yeah, UEFI bios wasn't detected by the upgrade on my system either Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH...

Huge pain in the ass this entire thing was... And they need to make the caution warning more prominent--e.g. big bold letters, one line "DO NOT use this if your motherboard has a UEFI BIOS"

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No, just update using the ISO method (USB drive).

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've updated the firmware on my 256 GB m4 twice using the Crucial Windows installer but (fortunately?) this 010G one just says there is no SSDs to update in my system even though I have the 0F firmware installed. Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

I contacted Crucial support about it and they came back and told me that they were working on an updated version for UEFI BIOSes. Only one slight problem there, Crucial.... my BIOS isn't UEFI as the motherboard is four years old nearly!!! I naturally sent them another email back but have yet to receive any response to it. After reading about the issues with this update I have decided to hold off updating via the ISO method.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Hilbert, sorry to hear about the issue with your Crucial M4. I've avoided updating mine thus far and guess I'll be holding off until Crucial gets THIS sorted out.... Thanks for the heads up.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I blindly updated my 128 M4 wich i have in my desktop computer...luckily i have a "older" motherboard ,so until now the SSD acted normally and i keep my fingers crossed that it stays so.
    But i have another M4 in my laptop wich i leave with the actual firmware.
    Sorry to hear this Hilbert,i hope that all your data is ok.

9. duntuk

duntuk Member

Yeah, however, that's not an obvious option on the site for the 010G update... The only thing that shows is the windows update (.exe), when you select windows as your OS... I guess it shows other options if you select OSX, but as noted, that's not an obvious option.

And yeah, stay away from this firmware if you're on an UEFI BIOS... I had to use a non-UEFI bios PC to downgrade via bootable USB to 000f-- the bootable usb mehtod wouldn't wouldn't recognize the SSD on my UEFI bios, even after the BIOS recognized it after a sucessfull power cycle...

10. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I only just upgraded my firmware to this after thinking it was time to change from the firmware with the 5000 bug. It has been running for a week and luckily no problems.

but i think i will revert back to an older firmware

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This reminds me so much of OCZ Vertex 2 and Vertex 3 :/ . i went trhu so much pain with the old sandforce its unbelievable. I hope Crucial comes with a solution very fast , thats no fun.

12. crzilla25

crzilla25 Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660
    dear hilbert i know that some people manage to update their firmware (it might be using the iso ver), i tried to update using window and then the warning above is in my case.
    but what i mean in my post is, in the first time crucial did mention that this upgrade is not mean for people using uefi ( i know it's silly since most people now using uefi, bad for you crucial), and after a while it seem that they changed their note to the above..

in the first time i'm so glad that they fix it but then i'm clueless what i'm gonna do with this file i'm a UEFI:bang:

so peace......