Razer Game Booster application

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Razer is now talking about a closed beta test of Razer Game Booster, an upcoming software tool to optimize user's system settings, improve game performance, and capture in-game footage. The tool is b...

Razer Game Booster application

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It looks like yet another gimmick that doesn't work.

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Not at all. It works great.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    how much boost did you get ?

5. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    we have two seperate threads on this topic, but here you say its great while on the other hey are shouting "snake oil"

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  7. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
  8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It doesn't give any boost by itself. Your framerate stability is limited by your software and hardware. If you chose your hardware carefully, have well-maintained system, and you'll set all the settings, there's really nothing such software can do for you (except for some really deep in-game integration).

The point of it is that many people don't change settings or change them carelessly. Frequently, if you spend some time, you can get really great visuals at good framerate. For example antialiasing - MSAA will kill your framerate, but FXAA will probably offer better looks than some extreme shadow settings, at lower cost.

If you:
    1. Don't know how to set up the game / don't care / don't have time for that.
    2. Have hardware supported by such application
    3. Have software supported by such application
    It may actually set the graphics options so you get close to the best possible looks vs speed ratio. These guys will spend some time on tweaking the settings so player's don't have to. And I like this idea, even though I'll probably set everything by myself.

9. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    i dont have junk software on my pc, only games and essential programs for basic use..
    the rest i do on my laptop

but i also hate spending time in settings when i set off to play
    so for a person like me, would it really increase anything ? i guess i can try it, but geforce or razers ?

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Only way to confirm if this works or not is for someone to test it. Simply run a demanding game with vsync disabled. Try the game with & without the program and see if there is any FPS boost.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    My HTPC partition is the clean streamlined one.

My gaming one is the partition that gets used for day to day use, so has over 100 games installed, a fair amount of other software as well as multiple browsers, so software like this is actually very useful for me.

This will do nothing you can’t do manually, but it’s quicker and easier to have this do it for you.

I also like that it’s done on a non permanent basis and only when you run a game, to me this is a good thing as tweaking it yourself runs the risk of running into issues at a later date as drivers and patches are always tested on a fresh stock version of Windows.

Plus it’s free, so there is no harm in trying.

12. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    well it has got fancy animations and bright colours, so it must work......

13. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Nice one, Li4m79. ;)

14. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    It works fine if you don't want to faf around with turning off services, processes, updaters, etc... I used to. I don't now. I can leave things alone, click one button and all non essential things are stopped. I play then they come back on at the press of a button.

See why it is handy? No more messing around and potentially making things not work even if you do know what your doing.

That's why it works and is not snake oil. It does not increase performance of CPU and GPU. Of course not. But it does make your system more responsive during gaming and free up more RAM.

Also when the program is resident in memory it only takes up around 400k while freeing up MUCH more than that. So it's not bloatware either.

Btw I am talking about Gamebooster but this software is the same.

You read so many times in this forum how someone potentially has a problem with their system, driver etc. I bet 9 times out of 10 it's down to user error, not drivers. Too much overclock, turned things off they should have left alone as they fiddled to much.

I'm done with all that. Just play a game. That's why we got gaming PC's!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  15. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Looking at your Rig Shadow, do you REALLY need a program like this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Yes and no. Every little helps they say! That's why you see Guru's tweaking their installations of Windows. I don't have to any more as I use Game booster and it automatically re-enables/disables in one button press. Much easier.

I know what you are thinking. You are thinking it's a gimmick. It's not. It does most, if not all of the things I used to tweak for gaming (and you can add to it) then at the click of a button they can be turned off and then on again once you have finished.

Can you do that with an install where you have manually stopped things and can't remember what you have done? Ever had the situation where you have turned off something that is now needed by a game or program but can't figure out which one as you have tweaked to much? Or tweaked something you should not have and made things a little unstable? No problems like that with this program.

Gamebooster even 'detects' when a Steam game is run and automatically changes to 'game mode' without even pressing the button. Even easier!

That's all I'm trying to say!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yes the issue with that is you provide no empirical evidence to show that either your tweaking or the software doing the tweaking for you makes any difference to the games you are playing. Dunno how much of this software relies on the placebo effect and how much of any real benefit any person would actually notice, especially with a 670gtx and a 2700K at 4.8Ghz

18. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    All I am saying is that I don't have to do what some of you guys do manually. Does that benefit you guys doing that manually? Probably not but you still do it!

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    These gimmicks often work but they don't for people who are so good at tweaking that they've already done all the crap manually by themselves.

20. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Did you not read what I stated above? It's not a gimmick and it does what you guys do manually. Is that so hard to understand?

Don't be so elitest.

I think their is a need for a piece of software like this. People that are not willing to fiddle constantly and people that are not so nerdy with their computers like us and just want to PLAY GAMES! (like we should be doing instead of talking about it)