Windows Media Player 32 bit vs 64 bit

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by HonoredShadow, Apr 16, 2012.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Windows Media Player 32 bit vs 64 bit & backing up music

Is their any reason I should choose one over the other? I did notice that the 64 bit seemed a bit sluggish. Don't know why that was.

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I currently use Winamp but if someone thinks I should use something else for some reason, tell me!

What is the best way to backup my music? What I would really like is that my music collection (location: D:\Music) gets Sync'ed with another drive so they are identical at all times even if I add new music to D:\Music.

Is something like this possible? Even if I have to click a button to sync it that would be the best. I think I have asked this question before but not one person came up with a solution which I was really surprised at!

Someone suggested this software but I have no clue
    http://www.jumpingbytes.com/en/puresync.html

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Prob doesn't matter unless MPC is using over 4GB memory...
    Winamp is my fav music player.

RAID 1

3. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I don't know what RAID 1 is supposed to mean. I just want a piece of software that I can click a button and my music collection is synced on another drive or even another PC.

Thanks.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    There's DSynchronize (scroll down a bit), and there's Synkron.
    Use DSynchronize if you want more features like real-time sync, and use Synkron if you want a more simplified interface.
    Both will do the job just fine.

5. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks for that. So I just need to be sure because I have heard some nightmare stories about syncing. These programs will only replicate the files from one location to another location at either the click of a button or automatically?

I just don't want to loose anything.

Thanks again. So new to this. Some people have said that the sync can go wrong. It syncs both directories instead of transferring from one to another (which is what I want).

I will always be updating the primary directory of my music and expect it to go to a new folder. Does that make sense?

People have told me that it can wrong when you not transferring from one to the other and are just trying to sync up both. I have not a clue to be fair!

They/I might be talking jibberish.

Which one to you think out of those 2 you linked? I want something simple that at the click of a button I can make sure that what is in the primary directory gets transferred over to the secondary directory.

I'm guessing where people say that problems can occur is maybe when you have a mp3 file that has a name gets deleted and replaced with an identically named file but you have replaced it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think the question is actually about Windows Media Player, the one that comes with the OS. Most people probably don't know that there are two versions of it, like with IE, on x64 systems. Unlike IE, there is no shortcut for the 64-bit versions you have to explicitly load it.

x86 (default) version location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

x64 version (you have to manually load):
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

and yes, when using the default version in task manager wmplayer has *32 (signifying 32-bit), and the 64-bit version doesn't.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Oh right I just assumed he meant MPC.

I uninstalled WMP........I forgot some people still use it :p

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    That depends on the software you're using, to be honest.
    But in case of DSynchronize it can either be done manually or automatically.

FTFY.
    Unless your files are made of rubber bands. =b

Those people are like those who don't know how to drive (properly) but talk about the dangers of driving. ;)
    While it can be dangerous, it's quite simple once you get the hang of it.

Basically, you'll never touch anything in the backup directory unless you want to copy something from there, right?

Anything can go wrong, to be honest.
    You just need to know exactly what to do.

Any sync software will be able to sync in one click, but you need to properly configure it first before it does exactly the way you want it to.

Just use DSynchronize, since you just have to extract it somewhere and then run it; doesn't need to be installed.

So, in example, you have an MP3 file that somehow gets deleted, but after you've managed to get another copy of it, the sync software overwrites the new copy you just found with the one from the backup, is that what you're trying to say?
    Something like that isn't going to happen unless you specifically set DSynchronize to bidirectional sync mode.

Anyway, here's how to use DSynchronize.

[​IMG]

The first time you run it, you might see a couple of example directories on both Sources and Destinations box.
    Press the Delete key until it goes blank like the image above.
    Right-click on the blue bar in the Sources box, click Browse, and choose the directory you want to copy or backup from, which is your primary directory.
    Do the same in the Destinations box, but choose the directory you want the files to be copied into, which is your backup directory.
    After you're done choosing directories, click the directory you have chosen to tick both directories (Sources and Destinations).

Now, for the options.

[​IMG]

Just follow that image.
    The reason Copy only newer files has to be ticked is that so DSynchronize won't copy the files that haven't been updated to the backup directory every time you sync the directories.
    In short, it saves time later on.

The rest of the options should be fine by default.

The Backup Changes option basically enables you to revert the changes being made on the backup directory from the sync.
    If you set it to 3, it means you can undo up to 3 sync runs.
    Keep in mind that this will take space as much as what gets added and/or deleted on each sync run.

Timer sync is basically when and how you want to automate your sync runs.
    Set/Enable timer is a sync run scheduler.
    Realtime sync can only be enabled after you've done a manual sync.
    What it does is to make DSynchronize automatically update the backup folder whenever there's a change in the primary directory.
    You have to keep DSynchronize running in background by simply minimizing its window so that it'll minimize to a tray icon.
    Autostart is to run a sync whenever Windows starts up.
    Autostart as a service... is to make DSynchronize as a Windows service.

Now, if you're wondering why there are options for Deleted files, that's because DSynchronize doesn't sync in a simple copy mode.
    DSynchronize runs in mirror mode.
    What this means, is that DSynchronize will delete files in the backup directory that are not in the primary directory.
    For example, if you have the file songA.mp3 in the backup directory but not in the primary directory, then songA.mp3, by default, will be deleted.

Well, have fun.
    If you're having trouble following what I've said, though, traditional copy and paste will still work just fine. :p
    HTH.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  9. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thank you all for your help. Especially k1net1cs. Wonderful answers to my many, many questions!

Loose. Lose. I always do that for some reason!