How far do you drive for work?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by DSparil, Aug 3, 2014.

?

How long does it take you to drive to work (one way)?

1. 5-15 minute drive

24 vote(s)
    31.2%
  2. 16-30 minute drive

16 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. 31-45 minute drive

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. 46-60 minute drive

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. > an hour drive

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. I don't have to drive anywhere!

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I am interviewing for a new job tomorrow, and although its a great opportunity that pays well - its 45 miles from my home! That would mean a 90 mile round trip. Luckily it is all highway (virtually no city miles), but it is still a gas guzzler. I would be leaving my cushiony job that is only a measly 10 minutes away. Then again, it would be a $15k a year raise or more with much better long term potential...

I am just curious, how long does it take you Guru's to drive to work? I have talked to some that tell me a 50 minute drive to work is nothing, while others think I am crazy for considering it lol.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    How much extra a year would that cost to drive though?

I don't drive so have no idea how much per year a 90 mile per day journey would cost

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    500 meters

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd say 45-60 minutes is a very common commute time to be honest. I don't know many people lucky enough to do less. Gas is dirt cheap in the states anyway, if that's a real problem for you look into a more fuel efficient car. Although I'm not sure what you're currently driving.

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I have a 2009 Scion XB. It's not too bad on gas. Yeah, honestly I've probably been a bit spoiled lately with a 10 minute drive to work. The only problem is that job sucks lol. I mean this new job would be pretty far but like I said, it is all highway. Much easier on the car and a much smoother drive that way. If it was 45 miles of mostly city driving, I'd probably say f-that!

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    1 hr each way. Pay is good plenty of ot and I am so used to it, doesnt bother me.

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    45 min isn't to bad the new job I'm starting tomorrow I have to mess around buses and trains will take up-to a hour to get there. If I was driving probably take two hours or more with the traffic going toward Richmond.

8. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I drive 26 mi round trip 5 days a week.

Even though it's only 13 miles each way it takes me between 40 mins to as much as
    1 hour some days.
    It's in town driving all the way at peak rush hour. 30 mph is the speed limited and I feel like I'm going fast if when lucky enough to hit that.
    Bumper to bumper driving.

Really makes me mad that folks drive so bloody slow at rush hour.

9. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    About 500 metres, I should actually walk but its winter here and cold...

10. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    45 minutes.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Just looked up the Scion XB, the fuel economy isn't that impressive considering it is a 2.4 L 4 cylinder. That said though, despite popular belief small engines often aren't exactly more efficient than slightly larger engines because they have to work harder. This of course is a bit of an oversimplification.

Maybe with that extra cash you could consider modding your car. A better exhaust system may help, worst case it should make it more fun to drive (as long as you don't make it too loud and droney which people tend to do). A better air filter, an electric water pump (like the Davies Craig electric water pump+controller) etc can improve fuel economy.

Say you might use and extra 10 L per day over your previous job. That would be 50 L a week (that equates to around 13.5 US gallons. You should consider price as the upper limit, not the current price. So, we'll use $4 a gallon. That means $54 extra a week in fuel (that may be still a bit conservative). Lets make it $60.

So, over 50 weeks of the year, which is probably the upper limit of what you will be doing, that is $3000, so you will still be $12000 better off in your job.

Okay, the very, very common thing people do when they work out cost/distance is only to include the cost of the fuel. You have to consider maintenance cost. If you service your car every 5000 miles, at $140 a service (average, I'm considering major services like when you change your timing belt which costs more). It does actually add up, think about it. If you drive 50 miles a day, and you service at 5000 miles at an average cost of $140, it will be an extra $1.40 a day. Hey, it all add's up!

Then of course, you have tyre cost. Say you get $100 tyres every 20,000 miles, that's $400. For quick maths that comes back to $100 per the 5000 miles, so another dollar a day. You can already see that is probably around $2.50 extra a day, 250 working days, at least another $625 a year. You then have car depreciation to consider due to higher mileage. The above is all based on 50 miles a day, but you probably will drive maybe 75 miles? So, basically add 50 percent on to that. Say, $1000 for tyres/servicing a year and $4500 for fuel. That would make it $5500.

So, you drive 75 miles a day, 250 days a year, that is an additional 18750 miles. If you kept your car for three years, you will add 56,250 miles. Let's make that 60,000 miles. I have no idea how much that extra mileage will drop your value by for resale, but lets say it is $1800 (probably conservative...). That is an additional $600 a year cost. So, you are up to around $6100 a year to drive the extra distance. That still means you are around $9000 better off.

Now, all things considered you will probably update your car sooner than you would have otherwise, maybe by a year or two, and do this from now on due to the mileage covered. Although you could consider that a bonus of working, if you want to truly balance the cost you may need to consider that as well. It would be a hard thing to quantify, but you will still be better off.

This is assuming fuel prices don't chronically skyrocket, in which case you will have to get that Hybrid or PHEV car sooner.

12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Could we have "I'm unemployed" option there? :(

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I work from home. So I don't have to drive anywhere. :)

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    My record was 3.5 hours per 40 km from home to office. Without traffic jam it is 40 minutes in average.

15. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Depends on traffic and weather conditions, 15 to 30 minutes on some of the glorious East Devon B Roads.

16. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Can't drive

17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Thanks to all off the well planned road construction in Ann Arbor (sarcasm), it takes me about 35 minutes to get home now (about 3 miles). Last year, I interned at the same place and it took me about 15 minutes to get home. That included the 5 minute walk to the parking garage. I'd rather drive 15 minutes on the highway any day of the week.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Scoter I'm in Ann arbor at seva right now!

Usually 10 minutes, but soon about 40 minutes or so. Got a job in Ann arbor at the university. Help desk tech! :)

19. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    I wish I could work from home. I don't drive though. Company transport luckily.

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    45-60 mins here depending if I'm stuck behind someone going 10 mph under or traffic in the city I have to drive through.

Yeah traffic 5-6am in the morning happens here, especially at the square lately.