NVIDIA future GPU is VOLTA and gets on-chip DRAM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang shared a handful of details about the company's next-generation graphics chips. Early next year we can expect Maxwell, the successor to Kepler. This chip will introduce unif...

NVIDIA future GPU is VOLTA and gets on-chip DRAM

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I misread "DRAM" as "DRM" and had a little shock to the system for a moment there :p

Ah nice. Looking forward to seeing what Maxwell can do. This Volta is too far off for me.

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Maxwell early 2014 sounds nice. If it were late 2014, I might be tempted to wait for Volta instead. Of course I'll see what AMD has to offer as well before deciding though

4. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    I'm sure Volta can have more than 3 times faster bandwidth than the Titan. It seems they intentionally slowed their cards improvement to sell more of them.

Anyway nice new feature, can't wait to see the real impact of this new architecture.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So then the dram will be stacked on the die then? Will there be different memory to accompy it like gddr5?

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

DRAM on chip might sound good, but exactly how much are they talking about? The performance GPU's are already at 3GB, so they have say, 4GB. Will that on-chip memory be the full 4GB, or just say, 512MB? It kind of sounds like large cacheing memory to me, where the commonly used stuff is in the 512MB cache and data is transferred from the remaining memory as required. This is of course a complete guess, as I doubt they could do 4GB on chip. It's not just about space, it's about the heat. You have all the heat from the GPU transferring through the memory and vice versa, and the room to get rid of this heat is still a similar size to currently what is available for the GPU to get rid of heat now. You also have to consider that currently there is a quite a large surface area for the RAM to get rid of heat.

The unified memory is what AMD is going towards too (apparently), but no doubt they'll implement a not-dissimilar memory cache too. I'm not sure exactly how unified the unified memory principle will be, wouldn't the programs have to be compiled specifically for this? The heterogeneous architecture AMD are heading towards with their CPU's etc is a little different, the principle sounds more efficient. That said, having that coupled with a graphics card of similar principle would probably be advantageous.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Was waiting for Maxwell to arrive when I my GTX480 (850/1700/2000 @1.1v)

But I bit the dust and went team red with the HD7970 and dont see the point in Maxwell now, Volta is very interesting though this might just be the upgrade that us graphics buffs have been waiting for.

I think Maxwell will be very strong indeed and will outperform my HD7970 by around 50% but still what games will use it? Crysis 3 looks outstanding now and runs pretty damn well maxed out my single HD7970 with 4xMSAA @ 1080p so there are going to have to be some seriously damanding games that will make use of Maxwell or even the next AMD architecture but I think GCN being as good as it is we will just get a revision of it with the 8K series at the end of year.

Also with PS4 being already outdated by current high end PC hardware I see no games truly using Maxwell's potential.

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, you could try triple-monitor gaming with the same AA level and see if your card would choke or not.

9. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Maxwell was supposed to be another push into efficiency so I don't think there will a huge performance gain there. It seems like Volta is the one that is going to push for performance more.

10. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I've had similar thoughts, but at least I have a better "excuse" to upgrade than you(need to update my specs here, using a HD 5770 for the time being). Am not counting on playing the next-gen games with this, at least not smoothly.

I'm hoping even a mid-range Maxwell/VI GPU will be enough for handling the console ports at high settings for some years(I want the "next 8800GT"), and then I'll upgrade again when/if the PC versions start getting more attention.
    I'll also be surprised if we don't get DX12 in 2014.

11. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    It is not going to happen until 2016 if it ever happens. :3eyes:

12. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    They don't need huge amounts of eDRAM (or whatever they use), if they can hold up a couple of frames at high resolution it will be enough (say, 64Mb or 128Mb).

Thats how xbox 360 devs can get 4x FSAA working (yep, Full Screen Anti Aliasing, something unthinkable if you just check its GPU specs alone), they process the frame on the eDRAM, since its super high bandwidth and super low latency memory, the operation is pretty much free. If im not mistaken, I read they tile the frame in 4 or more since while 10Mb is enough to hold a full HD frame, it isn't enough for holding the frame and storing additional data for the AA pass, so divide an conquer. And still its fast enough to get playable framerates on a 8 year old console :D

Imagine if you could get 4x FSAA (or more!) with little to no fps impact playing at 1080p (or more?). It would be awesome.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    He's about to take off!

[​IMG]

:D

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    1. you dont need any form of AA at those resolutions.

2. I hate triple monitor gaming

Now if 4K monitors become cheaper and games natively support the res then yes I could see a use for these chips.

I completely agree with you, for people on current mid to low range cards or last gen hardware then sure grab one of these as it would be a better value upgrade for you.

Also DX12 I don't think will come any time soon. DX11 needs a few more updates and fixes and maybe some performance improvements. Tessellation is only just starting to be used more and if used to much it cripples even the high end cards.

To infinity and beyond!!!!!!

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    gimme some maxwell action

17. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    They could call the flagship "Johntra"

18. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Then why do you need 4xMSAA @1080p?
    Or did you honestly think using three monitors placed horizontally next to each other magically extends each monitor's vertical resolution?

Which is inconsequential.
    You did ask what games would need more than your single 7970.
    Well, any games that support multi-monitor gaming apparently. With AA.

19. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Would this be a solution to the stuttering some games have? Not that I've had it lately but I remember it was pretty bad about 6 months ago.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Lol, same.

Too bad Maxwell got pushed back by about 18 years. I was hoping to have one already. It's a real kick to the balls that it won't be out when Haswell is.

What do I dooooo? :(